Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to the article? I can't seem to find it.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Do you have a link to the article? I can't seem to find it.

Can't read it right now to check if it's This one but ut should be in the same lines. Adapt to whatever growth since then you deem necessary.
Last edited by: Thorax: Mar 19, 18 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The5krunner wrote:
So with 35 million hits per year dcrainmaker should make between $35k and $350k from that channel alone – totally ignoring CT commissions.

I don't know who "the5krunner" is and as far as I can tell, he is simply guessing at the revenue that DCR enjoys from its website. The 5krunner has not seen DCR's P&L nor its tax returns. He also has no visibility into the expenses that DCR incurs in order to generate its revenue. Even if he could hazard a guess as to DCR's net income (profit), he has no insight into the expenses that Ray incurs as he works to support a family of 4 in Paris (not a cheap place to live).

My point is simply that unless you have visibility into someone's finances, you can't say whether they are rich, poor or otherwise. There are a whole lot of variables that can effect that equation, from income, to expenses, to successful or failed investments to personal choices... FWIW I think Ray is great and hope he is rich as you claim but I don't think there is any data to support a conclusion either way.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://the5krunner.com/

someone who is trying to compete against DC Rainmaker

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello dcrainmaker and All,

Thanks for the information ....

Keep on keeping on ......

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
The5krunner wrote:
So with 35 million hits per year dcrainmaker should make between $35k and $350k from that channel alone – totally ignoring CT commissions.

I don't know who "the5krunner" is and as far as I can tell, he is simply guessing at the revenue that DCR enjoys from its website. The 5krunner has not seen DCR's P&L nor its tax returns. He also has no visibility into the expenses that DCR incurs in order to generate its revenue. Even if he could hazard a guess as to DCR's net income (profit), he has no insight into the expenses that Ray incurs as he works to support a family of 4 in Paris (not a cheap place to live).

My point is simply that unless you have visibility into someone's finances, you can't say whether they are rich, poor or otherwise. There are a whole lot of variables that can effect that equation, from income, to expenses, to successful or failed investments to personal choices... FWIW I think Ray is great and hope he is rich as you claim but I don't think there is any data to support a conclusion either way.

5krunner is probably using social blade...smh.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That post has a solid bit of conjecture, jealousy and angst.

Ray, thanks for the countless hours put into your great reviews. I love the style and the unbiased content.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice article and thanks for posting here on ST. Anyone giving you sour grapes about income, is really not worth answering. There is nothing wrong with using entrepreneurial ingenuity, in a niche category, and earning financial success after countless hours of hard work!
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not buy any equipment before reading his blog.
I have been following for years and I am amazed to see how efficient he is without a team to review so many equipmemts.
More importantly, he seems to be a genuine nice guy who have time to have a good life in Paris with his wife, two kids and dog!
A friend of mine went this past december to his yearly cave opening party and confirmed that he is super nice and down to earth!
DC you are living your dream, keep going that way and thanks for your advices!
Last edited by: ppkestrel: Mar 20, 18 0:26
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
i rarely go to his page now... i think it's gone to his head and reading this article kind of proves... asking mfg for early prototypes... thats BS.
That's a rather unfair post in my opinion. I don't see where there's evidence of it going to his head, certainly not proof.
As others said, asking for early prototypes is absolutely reasonable if he wants to provide timely reviews. If the manufacturers are willing to accommodate him it's potentially a symbiotic relationship. If not, they may lose early sales when those who use his site can't access detailed early info on a new device. There's a major shortage of unbiased advice. The marketing material from most companies is a poor source of info for choosing a new products and many other reviews are of limited quality and trustworthiness. To date, I've found Ray's reviews to be detailed, accurate, insightful and trustworthy. I'm sure Ray is aware that trustworthiness and transparency is one of the vital keys to his success and must be maintained. He'd be a fool to risk it with any covert shenanigans. Everything of his that I've read indicates he values good engineering principles and accurate data. It's one of the main reasons I like his stuff, it mirrors my own view on things. I suspect he would likewise insist on keeping things simple and accurate when it comes to his commercial relationships. Deception is much less simple and depends on falsified data. Of course it would be possible for him to get in bed with some of the company's he reviews but I tend to believe he's legit and likely to stay that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
I don't take any money (advertising or otherwise) from any companies I review. In fact, I don't take any money/trips/etc from any manufactures. Even speeches/etc are all free (in the case of the ANT+ Symposium, I specifically have them donate my 'speaking fee' to a Canadian kids sports organization - KidSport). And in the case of airfare, like when I give the keynote next month at the Garmin Connect Summit - I'm paying my own expenses too. My income streams are super simplified*.

Ads come purely from Google AdSense (I've tried other avenues, they all suck), and are based on whatever you were searching for. Search for women's underwear, you'll get women's underwear ads. Drug/gambling ads are blocked, as is a separate manual blacklist of URL's of all companies I review or might review.

Certainly, one can argue the pros and cons of any business model. But I think it's pretty reasonable and quite a bit more than most publishers can say. To each their own.

*Simple version of income: Amazon, Clever Training, REI, Google AdSense, magazines I write gear articles for, and Wall Street firms that want investment advice but are too lazy to read what I already wrote online. Actually, I think that's everything.

That's two things I didn't suspect or thought of!
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured there's ad revenue or other things to keep him afloat with the reviews.

Either way, he's saved me some coin and some wasted time in the past from preconceived notions of products I had.

It's definitely a service to the community. I've never read one of the reviews or product overviews that didn't have some fair criticism and fair praise if it was deserved. I've never read something I felt was biased.

I appreciate his work, many kudos and thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've purchased or looked to purchase an electronic item without checking out his reviews first and they do weigh heavily on my decision of what to buy. Now maybe we can get DC to test some bikes next for some unbiased opinions :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I watch is site from the very begging, I remembered when he absolutely shredded stages to the point if Stages would not get Sky they would probably go out of business. Other manufactures that released single leg power meter probably helped a bit as well. I liked his straight approach back then, but I thought he went to far with Stages it almost look personal.

Now he is more balanced and learned to work with manufactures, but you can see what company butters him up more then others, if you take Wahoo for a example, he loves them despite the fact Wahoo is complete shit if it comes to accuracy, great trainer but shitty accuracy from unit to unit, and his Wahoo accuracy reviews are kinda skewed.

He surly knows what people want, manufactures should actually ask him what features should be in the products especially computers etc. They are missing big time on some features and adding some totally unwanted BS. Ray still reads all the comments and taking everything he does seriously, his blog his quite good, but again if he does not like something he might have show it in less attractive light. This dude should be getting all prototypes to test, as he does it very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IL2tri wrote:
I really appreciate his reviews. They are thorough and detailed but easy to read. They seem to be even-handed and unbiased. I feel like I am making a much more informed buying decision as a result. Good for him in finding a market for his talents.
Agreed - in a lot of cases you learn so much about the things (good or bad) you'd usually only discover after you bought the unit when actually trying to use it, which can be good or very annoying. I usually check the reviews as well and they allow much more informed decisions.

And, we should also appreciate there can be some risk associated with his job; remember the LIMITS shitstorm (though Ray was the clear winner there - arguing based on facts and data, quoting LIMITS own words and statements, etc). He very much turned out to be right in that whole saga. It was a but of fun drama as a reader, though. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ray,

Thanks for keeping it real.

As you know, not everyone will be happy - there will always be the doubters and the naysayers.

Where, I work in the business, I routinely tout the benefits and advantages of what you do. I know the many brands and businesses that I interact with, have nothing but good things to say about you.

When on the Microphone, Race/Event Announcing, Emceeing, when and where appropriate and whenever it comes up, I'm always happy to promote your site as the go-to place for information on training technology.

As a bit of a Luddite myself, I personally use your site when I occasionally have issues with the basic training technology that I use.

Thanks again for doing what you do.

Finally, until today, I had not made the connection (via your blog) between, you, the Outside article, Andrew, and his tragic death a short while ago. That must have come as a very sad shock to you.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 20, 18 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Nice DC Rainmaker article [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has acted as a whistleblower on certain products that were being crowdsourced. The sooner he gets products the better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next