Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowman, what about a book?
Quote | Reply
Reading your latest article on saddle heights it occurred to me that there is SO much information on this site, technical and non-technical and was wondering if you ever considered publishing a book with your technical expertise, notes, experiments etc. I'm sure you have enough of a following to make such a publication a success.

Someone asked me the other day WHY do you want to buy a book if you can get all the material online.... well we all still relax and I for one like paging backwards and forwards looking at diagrams "think about my own theories" etc. Newspapers are good examples of this... the availability of news online has had no real affect on their sales...

So any chance of us seeing an "Experts guide to Triathlon - the R&D approach" in the near future?

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
=====================================
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, what about a book? [postmanpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a thought. While a book might be better for some and allow for some paging back and forth, it's a dead document. To revise or augment a book takes quite a bit of time and effort. Time and effort that Dan uses to think about new things and live his life.

Putting things on the net like he does allows them to be changed readily and for the document to live and grow as new ideas and information come around. For example more testing regarding steep seat tube angles and running after riding. A book would surely become outdated in a matter of months.

If you prefer a hardcopy, why not print interesting articles and put them in a $2 binder with tabs. Cheaper, easy to update, and filled with the best and most CURRENT information.

Craig
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, what about a book? [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a book is an excellent idea. But not necessarily a technical triathlon book. I am currently a freelance journalist part time (my "real" job is a tobacco use prevention health educator), and I have often thought that a biography or autobiography on the Slowman would make for excellent reading. I would certainly love to be the one to write it . . .

Seriously though, I think more of a biography would be quite interesting. Certainly books have been published on less interesting subjects than the man who revolutionized triathlon.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, what about a book? [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand there is a book. You just have to take the FIST course first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, this one's up my alley. \

Eye editt buks for a livving. And Ime reely gud at it!

Honest!

Slowman, call me and we'll do lunch. I'd edit your book for almost nothing -- maybe a couple of old QR saddle covers and a plunge in the Endless Pool.

-- Big EE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Tom Demerly writing that book and adding a bit of fiction? That would be entertaining and he already has the contract, right Tom?
Quote Reply