Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Are Di2 Ultegra 8070 and DA 9170 cross compatable (wiring)?
Quote | Reply
I'm still riding a bike that has1st Generation Di2 so not sure about the new and current generation of Di2.
If I buy a bike that has Ultegra 8070 and I want to upgrade all or certain parts to DA 9170 - the internal wiring is cross compatible correct - no differences? All I would need to buy would be shifters/derailleurs and such - no additional wiring would be needed or swapped out?
Quote Reply
Re: Are Di2 Ultegra 8070 and DA 9170 cross compatable (wiring)? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
I'm still riding a bike that has1st Generation Di2 so not sure about the new and current generation of Di2.
If I buy a bike that has Ultegra 8070 and I want to upgrade all or certain parts to DA 9170 - the internal wiring is cross compatible correct - no differences? All I would need to buy would be shifters/derailleurs and such - no additional wiring would be needed or swapped out?

any e-tube is compatible with any other e-tube; you'll be fine.

only caveat is you can't mix and match the derailleurs; however, this is moot for your situation
Quote Reply
Re: Are Di2 Ultegra 8070 and DA 9170 cross compatable (wiring)? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
MKirk wrote:

only caveat is you can't mix and match the derailleurs; however, this is moot for your situation

You can mix match derailleur. My felt is currently has an Ultegra 8050 Di2 rear derailleur and a Dura Ace 9070 front derailleur. Originally had the Ultegra Di2 groupset, front derailleur crapped out so we switched the front to a dura ace.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Di2 Ultegra 8070 and DA 9170 cross compatable (wiring)? [gesekee19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gesekee19 wrote:
echappist wrote:
MKirk wrote:

You can mix match derailleur. My felt is currently has an Ultegra 8050 Di2 rear derailleur and a Dura Ace 9070 front derailleur. Originally had the Ultegra Di2 groupset, front derailleur crapped out so we switched the front to a dura ace.

you are right, i should have been more clear; can't mix 10-speed derailleurs with 11-speed derailleurs. One can actually use 6770 shifters on the 11-speed, as the shifters are responsible for only up/down instruction and nothing more
Quote Reply
Re: Are Di2 Ultegra 8070 and DA 9170 cross compatable (wiring)? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
If I buy a bike that has Ultegra 8070 and I want to upgrade all or certain parts to DA 9170 - the internal wiring is cross compatible correct - no differences?
Yes, as everyone said, you can mix-and-match anything you want Ultagra & DA from 6770, 6870, 8050, 9070, and 9150.

I just built my tri bike with mostly 8050. I really love DA, and was trying to find a reason to go with DA. But, everything I could not find anything that described any material technical or performance differences between the new Ultegra and DA. For my TT build, the price difference for the shifters, RD, & RD would have been $375. The combined weight difference for the three was 80g. That seemed like a huge expense for no performance difference and 80g weight savings. At the end of the day, I went with all DA brake levers & shift buttons. I liked having the "Dura Ace" name on the front of the bike. It was a $40 incremental spend for 14g.
Quote Reply
Re: Are Di2 Ultegra 8070 and DA 9170 cross compatable (wiring)? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
MKirk wrote:
If I buy a bike that has Ultegra 8070 and I want to upgrade all or certain parts to DA 9170 - the internal wiring is cross compatible correct - no differences?

Yes, as everyone said, you can mix-and-match anything you want Ultagra & DA from 6770, 6870, 8050, 9070, and 9150.

That's true for the most part, but the one place Shimano broke backwards compatibility with the latest gen (8100/9100) compared to the previous stuff is the crankset and front derailleurs. You can't put 6800/9000 chain-rings on a 8000/9100 crankset, and you cannot use 6800/9000 front derailleur with the 8000/9100 crankset (or vice-versa). The chain-ring width/spacing and chain-line changed slightly with the latest models, breaking backward compatibility. But there's no problem mixing between the same generation of Ultegra and DuraAce (eg r8000 FD with 9100 crankset should be fine).
Last edited by: jsk: Mar 17, 18 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Are Di2 Ultegra 8070 and DA 9170 cross compatable (wiring)? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch. I knew about the chainring incompatibility. Though, I see Shimano's proprietary chainring & crank arm design as a matched set per generation. I did not know about the spacing and chainline change. However, I do not use Shimano cranks, so I kind of view it is a moot point (for me). There are Internet reports of it working well, though officially it the FD & cranksetets are not simpatico.
Quote Reply