Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF
Quote | Reply
OR someone that knows

I am interested in a specific pack - no, I am not going all wannabe soldier, but AT sell LEAF products that are very different to their stock Alpine climbing packs.

AT claim that you need to be a member of the LEAF community to purchase but I have found online retailers who will let you, apparently, purchase without any proof - can someone confirm anyone can buy one online without proof

I just want a specific black - non-tactical - non-military wannabe - pack :)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t help, sorry, but those look cool. Which pack?
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
h
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which pack?

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
black assault 45l
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice pack. Unfortunately the closest store that has one is about 400 miles away. Hope you can find it.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. They are quite proud of those.

I believe (but not 100% positive) that most of the online LEAF retailers will only ship to USA or APO/FPO (overseas US military addresses). So if you absolutely have to have one of these, one option might be to have it shipped to someone in the LR who will ship it to you. It appears that LE get substantial discounts on this stuff; possibly one of our LR LE brethren could help out? If you need a re-shipper I'd be happy to help; just send a PM.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very much appreciated

If someone can help there would be IPA's all round

Obviously discount would be nice but not essential ;)

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where are you?
and...ipa's??? you have much better taste in packs than you do in beer. ;-)

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in China - I would like it sent to europe :)

I have a broad range of taste in beverages.................if IPA does not work, Gin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I have to ask... It looks like a great pack, but the multi-cam one is $649, even the black one is $499.

Is it so superior to, say, a $200 pack? What makes it worth the money? And, is that how much the military pays for a pack for every, single service member?

Serious questions...
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) i doubt the government pays a fraction (50% perhaps less) of that

2) i have a 11 year old arc teryx jacket that came with life time warranty and free repairs for life. It's just been back for its second retaping

I guess the jacket has done years of "hard" wear. It's bombproof and looks like new (ish)

I am looking for a specific style of bag. Jack of all trades but it needs to open a specific way. This year I am on track for something like 400k air miles. 24 long haul flights, 30+ shorthaul. 130 nights in hotels and rarely for more than 2 nights. I will have done 15k in the last 2 weeks. I want a pack not a roll carry on. I am being a bit picky but given I am constantly packing unpacking and on the move I think this meets my need.

In terms of value for money. I have never owned anything that has offered as good a customer service as AT.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
Ok, I have to ask... It looks like a great pack, but the multi-cam one is $649, even the black one is $499.

Is it so superior to, say, a $200 pack? What makes it worth the money? And, is that how much the military pays for a pack for every, single service member?

Serious questions...

Arcteryx makes really nice stuff. Really nice. And they stand behind their warranty.

I'm sure the military sales are a big money maker. They produced a pack for the Marines called the ILBE - it was a modified version of a civilian pack called the Borah. They sold about 250,000 of these packs to the military, at a cost of $600 each. That's 150 million gross and I'm sure their net was a sizable fraction of that, considering that they had economies of scale in producing 250,000 packs all the same size and color (hipbelts only were different sizes). The Borah 95 retailed for about $350 IIRC.

By the way, you can buy an ILBE on ebay for about $100. That's where I got mine (since sold).
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in how they do it. When we sold to DOD they got almost exactly the same materials as consumer but the premium was for QC, audit and traceability for our entire item where as for retail whilst we could track raw material we never tracked components

I would guess that even where there is overlap in manufacturing the premium is for all the associated QC

I also believe that consumer packs may be made overseas but some military requirements will necessitate US production.

Their warranty is the best in the business. Period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
1) i doubt the government pays a fraction (50% perhaps less) of that

nah, I bet they pay at least 100% of that ;)

Nearest retailer to me is the SIG headquarters. A bit too far from me, but New Hampshire doesn't charge sales tax. On a $500 pack, that's about $30 vs Mass.
Kinda surprised they don't make a "regular" version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also believe that consumer packs may be made overseas but some military requirements will necessitate US production.

Definitely. I'm not sure where the Borah packs were sewn but the ILBE was sewn in the US (as required by the Berry Amendment). There are firms that do nothing but sew other firms' military soft goods - my ILBE was sewn by Propper and I have a Patagonia PCU jacket that was sewn by Readyone Industries. I believe some of these firms also employ disadvantaged people and thus gain an additional bidding preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will look into this on Monday. I might be able to get one through my industry contacts. No promises, haven't tried to get LE stuff before.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
much appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: anyone going in to their local Tactical Shop this weekend that sells Arcteryx LEAF [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i dont get it

they make a 700 dollar lap top bag - veilance

but no consumer variation on a bag that would be useful while their others only work for mark twight
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Mar 17, 18 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply