Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quintana Roo PrSIX Disc Brake question (beginner)
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am doing my first bike build. I have purchased a Quintana Roo Prsix 2018 disc frameset. I am taking some parts off an old bike (DI2 set for example)

PR6 has 2 variants for brakes :

1) Shimano BR-9170 Hydraulic
2) TRP Spyre Flat Mount Mechanical

If price isn’t a factor what are the pros and cons of each or any advice you may have?

Also any views on Shimano CX77 vs the TRP if you go mechanical?

I am sort of feeling my way through this.

Regards,

J
Last edited by: Jacksyee: Mar 16, 18 19:13
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PrSIX Disc Brake question (beginner) [Jacksyee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a bike equipped with trp mech and am using another bike with rs685 (near-ultegra hydraulic)

Trp spyre is quite a decent brake caliper. Though it is not strong enough for cx/gravel riding, it will work perfectly in the case of tt/tri

1. If you’re an weightweenie:
Buy trp spyre and sram red mech derailleurs.
This option may save 150-200g compared to full 9170

2. If you’re a di2 lover & weightweenie:
Go 9150(or 9070) with trp spyre
It may save around 100g / 9170

3. If you’re a dentist (haha) & hyd brake lover
Go 9170

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PrSIX Disc Brake question (beginner) [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much

I think im a hydraulic lover if for no other reason than i have them on my road bike (9170) and they work great
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PrSIX Disc Brake question (beginner) [Jacksyee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just upgraded my gravel bike from TRP Spyre’s to Ultegra 8070 hydro. I am very happy with the decision.

I would absolutely go hydro on the tri bike. And would certainly spec Ultegra front and rear mechs if money is a concern towards the hydro decision.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PrSIX Disc Brake question (beginner) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered the 9170 calipers and the str 9180 levers (wow. Expensive)

Now. Wheel advice please
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple pieces of wheel opinions:

For training wheels, no real need to go crazy. Get solid hubs, well built, easily serviced. I am a big fan of centerlock rotors, since it is much easier to take off and put on for traveling. Just need the tool.
For race wheels, it all depends on your budget.

HED Jets are always a great choice, and often a bit cheaper. However, since you are using disc brakes, you don’t have to worry about carbon rim braking performance. Which opens the selection choice quite a bit.
Honestly, the top 10 wheelsets out there are so similar in performance, you can just end up choosing what is sexiest to you.

If you do go with multiple wheel sets, you will need to align the rotors into the caliper to make wheel swaps easy. It helps to use the same hubs across each wheelset, but that does not automatically mean perfect alignment. Luckily, they sell super thin shims to line everything up.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PrSIX Disc Brake question (beginner) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now. Wheel advice please[/quote wrote:

I just got my PRSix Disc on Monday. I have the HED Vanquish wheels on there. Full carbon clincher, disc brake specific wheelset. The HED Jet disc brake are simply their rim brake clincher wheels with a disc brake hub. A bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion. Also tubeless ready.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo PrSIX Disc Brake question (beginner) [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!. I just broke down and ordered Zipp 454. Supposedly coming to me in may

I have a loaner pair until then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll trade ya a set of HEDs... ha
Quote Reply