Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The bubble that social media creates
Quote | Reply
I found this video interesting:

https://www.facebook.com/...3550958%3A1521223011

The gist is a black man was creating videos regarding reparations and would occasionally get some racism in the comments section. Yada yada yada (watch the video for more) he ended up creating an alt white persona to see what it would be like from that perspective. What he ultimately noticed was that his two different personas (his real self and the alt right self) ended up experiencing two completely different bubbles that were the result of key interest advertising.

In other words, if you use a lot of left wing phrases, comments, watch left wing videos, click on left wing articles, etc. etc. you end up getting a lot of left wing advertisements, suggested articles, videos, etc. etc.

If you do that from the right, then you get the same thing from the right.

I always knew that people created their own echo chambers based on the people they surround themselves with, or the news and radio stations that they tune into, etc. I never really considered how this effect is magnified through advertising algorithms.

One thing I had noticed over the last few years is how I would see these posts by conservatives who are really pissed off at liberals doing X, Y, & Z, and my thought was, I never hear of any of these random liberals in far off places doing stupid things except through my conservative friends posting about it. Yet, they make it seem like its happening everywhere all the time.

Meanwhile I live in my own bubble where I'm like, "Trump has done X, Y, & Z and these people don't seem to even know about it!"

Interesting.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: The bubble that social media creates [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.wired.com/2014/08/i-liked-everything-i-saw-on-facebook-for-two-days-heres-what-it-did-to-me/

Here's a similar story about a guy that clicked Like on everything on Facebook and how it molded what he saw. It's getting harder and harder to be objective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Good find.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I enjoy the LR for political banter.

I love reading all the different perspectives. I can't get that in the media.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey dumbass! This is the least surprising thing I've read all year. What kind of idiot are you to not have known about this already? /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't followed your link but the story is familiar. I think he had a TED talk a year back or so. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he referenced an app that tracks your stories and alerts you when your reading habits start to tilt heavily in one direction, or something to that effect. I doubt anyone here has any blind spots with regard to the slant of their news sources, but for the rest of the unwashed masses out there in rubeville it might be helpful.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this has been known for awhile that the algorithm that FB uses does this. It’s one of the reasons they have been getting so much heat lately especially Zuckerburg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Barry. Normally, I don't like you.
Quote Reply