Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Criminally Stupid Teenagers
Quote | Reply
This was a news item today.

"PASADENA – Authorities are looking for a suspect who dropped a large boulder onto a moving car on the 134 Freeway in Pasadena Tuesday night, killing a man who was riding in the vehicle with his wife. CBS Los Angeles reports that at around 8:55 p.m., a 30 to 35 pound boulder — a little larger than a volleyball — was dropped onto the 134 Freeway from the Orange Grove Boulevard overpass, according to California Highway Patrol."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/boulder-pushed-off-overpass-kills-dad-in-car-as-pregnant-wife-drove/ar-BBKhZBP?li=BBnb7Kz

There was a similar incident involving dependent teenagers of US Army troops stationed in Germany in 2000 after I left Germany. This couldn't have helped relations between the Germans and the "Amis".

"Five German judges convicted three American teenagers of murder yesterday and sentenced them to up to 8 1/2 years in prison for hurling football-size rocks from a freeway overpass onto unsuspecting motorists, killing two and injuring four others.
The teens, ages 14, 17 and 18 at the time of the attacks, are all sons of U. S. Army soldiers stationed in Darmstadt, an industrial town near Frankfurt."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Germany-Convicts-3-U-S-Teens-Normal-kids-3302691.php

I appreciate there are always going to be teenage pranks (and I don't know if the incident in CA involved a teenager or an adult), but actions like these defy common decency in a civilized society.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Criminally Stupid Teenagers [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Difficult to categorize this as a prank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like every couple of years there's a case of kids throwing or dropping stuff off of bridges resulting in injuries or crashes. I remember this happening as far back as when I was a kid.

I don't understand the appeal of dropping stuff from bridges. It's not really a prank. It's a carelessly dangerous action that really can't result in anything positive. Manslaughter or murder sounds about right.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Criminally Stupid Teenagers [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the fall, we had 5 teenagers that dropped a rock onto the expressway and killed a guy. The guy killed was on his way home after work and had a young child.

https://www.detroitnews.com/...ocks-town/107285482/

I just don't understand the mindset of the teenagers.
Quote Reply
Re: Criminally Stupid Teenagers [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
It seems like every couple of years there's a case of kids throwing or dropping stuff off of bridges resulting in injuries or crashes. I remember this happening as far back as when I was a kid.

I don't understand the appeal of dropping stuff from bridges. It's not really a prank. It's a carelessly dangerous action that really can't result in anything positive. Manslaughter or murder sounds about right.

Yes, I also recall this happening occasionally for as far back as I can remember. When I was in elementary school, my friends and I used to throw snowballs from an elevated position at city buses going up a small hill, to get a reaction from passengers sitting at the windows where the snowballs would hit. We weren't teens, it was 'just' snowballs, and the buses were never going more than 10 mph or so on that stretch of road - and even on those facts I look back at it and think, 'man, we were little shits and we're lucky a driver didn't get so startled he jumped the curb or something.' But teens pitching heavy rocks onto cars doing highway speeds, that's another level of stupidity and danger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a reason almost every overpass has fences to the sky on them. And it isn't because drivers were throwing their McD's cups out the window. 3.4 million google hits for 'rock thrown off overpass'.

I did a lot of ridiculously stupid shit when I was younger, this never occurred to me. I could possibly understand an egg or maybe a golf ball sounding like something funny to do. Big ass rocks don't compute.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A year or two ago a friend was commuting home by bike one evening, and went underneath a pedestrian overpass. Two teenage girls through a 32 ounce Gatorade off of it and hit him on the back/shoulder.

I don’t understand that level of complete idiocy.
Quote Reply
Re: Criminally Stupid Teenagers [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
A year or two ago a friend was commuting home by bike one evening, and went underneath a pedestrian overpass. Two teenage girls through a 32 ounce Gatorade off of it and hit him on the back/shoulder.

I don't think most people, particularly young people realize the sort of damage that can occur from this sort of stuff.

I had a guy throw a handful of coins into my face when I was out riding and he was going by me the other way. One caught me on the side of the nose and split it open. Glad I had sunglasses on because some dinged off of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Criminally Stupid Teenagers [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:

I don't think most people, particularly young people realize the sort of damage that can occur from this sort of stuff.

I had a guy throw a handful of coins into my face when I was out riding and he was going by me the other way. One caught me on the side of the nose and split it open. Glad I had sunglasses on because some dinged off of them.

I want to know where people like that have their stash of stuff ready to throw at you. Do they just drive around waiting to see someone on the road to throw their gatorade, coins, orange, gravel, big gulp(s), full can of pop from someone going 60+ the other way.(last four all things I have had thrown at me over the years). I've never been hit luckily, but some of those items are heavy and solid.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember this story about a kid who was swinging a cinderblock tied to a rope off an overpass with the other end wrapped around his wrist. Tragically, the rope got snagged on a semi-truck and ripped off his entire limb at the shoulder. The cops arrested the truck driver, charged with armed robbery...

...I'll leave the thread now.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Criminally Stupid Teenagers [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I remember this story about a kid who was swinging a cinderblock tied to a rope off an overpass with the other end wrapped around his wrist. Tragically, the rope got snagged on a semi-truck and ripped off his entire limb at the shoulder. The cops arrested the truck driver, charged with armed robbery...

...I'll leave the thread now.

awesome
Quote Reply
Re: Criminally Stupid Teenagers [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
[I want to know where people like that have their stash of stuff ready to throw at you. Do they just drive around waiting to see someone on the road to throw their gatorade, coins, orange, gravel, big gulp(s), full can of pop from someone going 60+ the other way.(last four all things I have had thrown at me over the years). I've never been hit luckily, but some of those items are heavy and solid.
I'll add the partially full/empty can/bottle of beer. The spinning/tumbling action causes any remaining beer to be ejected, so something hits me in the face even when the can/bottle misses me. (At least I hope it was beer?)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply