Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Train on your race wheels? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve used my rear wheel everyday for the last 4 years. That’s because it’s a power tap wheel. Now depending on cash flow I’ll either go with Flo 60 to train then Flo disc to race but if I get Flo 90 I’ll use it to train and race. Don’t train on my jet9 though, use a Flo 60 front.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [Alabama Viking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alabama Viking wrote:
actually I know what I'd do. Move. Real fast.

haha that's what I did, used to live in South Alabama, nice flat roads but no hills

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a road bike with Zipp 202's that I switch to my TT bike if I feel the need to take it outside. I save the 808/super9 combo and those nice tires for races only. I barely ride the TT bike outside, maybe once a month other than races, the rest is on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave my HED Jet 6's on my TT bike all the time. I have a BMC Time Machine and like someone else mentioned it's a PITA to adjust the rear brake when I swap wheels. Plus it's just more fun to ride the bike with my good wheels on it. I might feel differently if they were full carbon clinchers that cost me $2,500. That said, I do at least 50% of my riding on my road bike which has stock wheels on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swap out training wheels for race wheels on the tri bike, mainly because I have deep rims (80mm) that can be a pain in windy conditions, plus the carbon brake track doesn't stop as well.

Now the road bike, I bought it with Bontrager Aeolus 6.9 wheels. Thought I would get a set of aluminum training wheels and not use those daily, but after riding them decided they were way too much fun to ride and left them alone. Since that is the bike I ride outside the most, I guess you could say I train on race wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how much brake pad adjustment is needed going from ardennes to something like 808s or enves?
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
Do you train on your disk?

Yep. I am that guy. When I got the new HED wheels, I sold my old wheels. Seriously though, I freakin' love how the bike looks with the disc. And, I do most of my rides inside on a trainer anyway, so the bike only sees daylight for specific long outdoor rides leading up to a race. I ride my road bike otherwise.
Haha I just had to check. I love the look of the disc but here in Australia you would be labelled a 'wanker.' I found a set of Corima four spoke clinchers and train on them as they look cool, not as affected by wind and I'm maybe a semi wanker?. That said I train on Jets on my road bike and if I raced on them on my tri bike I would ride them a lot more.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I love the look of the disc but here in Australia you would be labelled a 'wanker.' I found a set of Corima four spoke clinchers and train on them as they look cool, not as affected by wind and I'm maybe a semi wanker?

Funny. I am riding with a good friend from Australia this weekend. He would definitely call me a wanker if I showed up with my tri bike and the disc wheel.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Mar 15, 18 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<how much brake pad adjustment is needed going from ardennes to something like 808s or enves?

I ride a Trek Speed Concept and find there is a minor adjustment needed as my HED Stingers are just a bit wider then the Ardennes, but that is within the adjustment capabilities of the barrel adjuster on the brake levers.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Enjoy them. My race wheels are my everyday wheels. Same with my tires and tubes. Life is too short. Last year I trained on FLO 60/90. This year I am training on Jet Black 9/Disk.

I am doing the same! Just picked up my Jet 6/Disc and will be ridding them everyday as soon as my new tires come in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always. I do not own any trainer wheelsets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a different wheel on the trainer through the week but use my race wheels outside on weekends. I would have to adjust brakes in order to stop on standard wheel set (off road bike) and that is a pain in the ass so.....

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it sound tougher if I say that I race on my training wheels? I just won’t tell anyone they’re zipp 858s.

I race and ride for my enjoyment. My 858s are adding to that at the moment, so they stay on the bike. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

Yep. I am that guy. When I got the new HED wheels, I sold my old wheels. Seriously though, I freakin' love how the bike looks with the disc. And, I do most of my rides inside on a trainer anyway, so the bike only sees daylight for specific long outdoor rides leading up to a race. I ride my road bike otherwise.

Haha I just had to check. I love the look of the disc but here in Australia you would be labelled a 'wanker.' I found a set of Corima four spoke clinchers and train on them as they look cool, not as affected by wind and I'm maybe a semi wanker?. That said I train on Jets on my road bike and if I raced on them on my tri bike I would ride them a lot more.

It is certainly a cultural thing, but I consider a true "WANKER" to be anyone who gives a rat's ass about what wheels you ride for training. Anything that increases the amount of time you spend enjoying your bike is a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

It is certainly a cultural thing, but I consider a true "WANKER" to be anyone who gives a rat's ass about what wheels you ride for training. Anything that increases the amount of time you spend enjoying your bike is a good thing.
That may be the case but you will always be a wanker here in Australia but then again that’s how a lot of the cyclists see triathletes here regardless too... It’s an Aussie thing
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got nearly identical problem with my bikes. So I sold them all and bought disc brake roads. Satisfied I am.

Stay home, stay healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Use the wheels the bike came with for training and race wheels for few rides leading up to a race and for the race.

Biggest issue when when I had tubular race wheels. Really sucks if you flatted and needed to have a new one glued. But even with clinchers, I don't want flats and/or random tire damage on pricey wheels.

Plus, using race wheels for training is kind of like cheating yourself on your workouts making them somewhat easier. ;)

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [Peter Ghimme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peter Ghimme wrote:
I got nearly identical problem with my bikes. So I sold them all and bought disc brake roads. Satisfied I am.

I'm tempted to buy a cross bike for road and cross. And then figure out the TT with discs later.

Another question, what is the most affordable shallowest carbon (with a carbon brake track) wheelset out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hate messing with brake pads ( if you had a BMC TM01, you would understand) all my wheels are basically very near the same width..this is a godsend for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What wheels are you racing/ training on? I also have a tm01. That rear brake kills me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train all year on my 404s. Fuck it, life's too short.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Train on your race wheels? [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
super9 disc..enve 7.8 enve 2.2 all within a mill or each other.. i can deal.

i have shaved brake pads lined up and read to go
Quote Reply

Prev Next