Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer and Zwift?
Quote | Reply
Hey all, its been ages since I've had a computrainer, but I seem to remember everything is wired, and connects to a PC via serial port??

If using with Zwift, will zwift successfully use the numbers from the computrainer hard wired into the computer for use in the zwift races? And will zwift control the computrainer in an erg mode workout?

I've yet to use zwift yet, so new to that too....

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, except as i understand it your CT head unit must have firmware version 25.41 or newer. Earlier versions of CT firmware are not compatible with Zwift. CTs manufactured since late 2007(maybe earlier) should be OK.

there is a discussion on the Zwift support site that provides information regarding what yo u need.

Last, I use a late 2013 CT and it works flawlessly with Zwift.
Last edited by: mspeas: Mar 14, 18 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [mspeas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mspeas wrote:
Yes, except as i understand it your CT head unit must have firmware version 25.41 or newer. Earlier versions of CT firmware are not compatible with Zwift. CTs manufactured since late 2007(maybe earlier) should be OK.

there is a discussion on the Zwift support site that provides information regarding what yo u need.

Last, I use a late 2013 CT and it works flawlessly with Zwift.

I use one also but was wondering how the calibration numbers effect hill climbing, is 2.5 easier than 3.5? I seem to be working harder on hills than my friend with a kicker trainer, we are the same height and weight. Just wondering if I’m missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [mspeas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa!

I have Computrainer (bought in 2000-ish), looking to use it with Zwift.
Reading this, my head unit is too old?
Glad I read this!

Z

Chasing The Big Race In The Sky
@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [Zippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy wrote:
Whoa!

I have Computrainer (bought in 2000-ish), looking to use it with Zwift.
Reading this, my head unit is too old?
Glad I read this!

Z

You can always download the software and see if it works... I haven't look lately but you should have a trial version that will let you ride 25 miles, use to be like that..

I have been riding my second winter on zwift and computrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice.

Thanks, MTL.

What is your connection b/t the controller and your PC?
I have on order a stereo jack to USB cable.
I THINK this is all I need to get the controller to talk to Zwift.

Z

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is Computrainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Computrainer is the 1990's version of today's Kickr, Magnus, and the like.
It is a great erg, well built, now looking to Frankenstein it to talk to Zwift. :-)

Anyone reading along, would love to get any thoughts folks may have on dusting off the cobwebs on getting a computrainer up and running on Zwift.

Thanks!

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2013...ish model of CT. Runs off of a laptop running Windows Vista. Probably can't use Zwift

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using my 2011’ish CT on Zwift. Works as expected. However, I prefer most of my workouts to be erg mode on CT vs using Zwift. I like to setup my interval workout, then watch Netflix while pedaling away. Makes it more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am successfully using my 2000 Computrainer with Zwift. I may have upgraded the firmware at some point, but will check it.

The big thing you need is a compatible FTDI serial to USB adapter. I have a 4 port adapter from Techtoo since I have 2 CTs.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer and Zwift? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

Thanks, efernand.

Really dumba$$ question. Where / how is that adapter used? I have on order a stereo to USB chord to connect the controller to my PC. After doing some research, I thought that would do the trick, but now I am not so sure . . .

And please do provide advice on firm ware update.

Appreciate the help!

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, back in the stone age, computers came with serial ports to communicate. These were trapezoidal connectors with 9 pins. Computrainers came with stereo to 9 pin adapters. These were simple, really just a 9 pin serial connector with a stereo plug stuck in one end and 3 wires connected between them.

Before long, traditional serial ports gave way to USB (Universal Serial Bus) ports. Computrainer started selling adapters. These had a 9 pin serial connector at one end and a USB connector at the other, and the necessary circuitry to adapt the raw serial data to USB. This is where the FDTI 'chipset' comes it. It seems that the FDTI chipset worked better, or was the only one that worked. They even had 8 port versions, so you could connect 8 Computrainers to a single computer. This was a boon to the Computrainer 'labs' around the country. This required 2 adapters, the stereo to 9 pin, and then the 9 pin to USB. Eventually, they created a single adapter that went from stereo directly to USB. These were custom, and are relatively rare. I don't think the current 'stereo to USB adapters' you see for music/headphones will work.

When you first turn your Computrainer on, you should see a number, that is the firmware version. In the past, you could order an upgrade from Computrainer. This was an actual new chip for inside the handlebar controller.

This is kind of what the stereo to 9 pin adapters looked like:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent.

Thanks a bunch, efernand. Very helpful. It has been a while since I have had the CT up and running. I have lost the stereo/serial chord. :-( Here is what I have on order: Ftdi USB to TTL 3.5mm Stereo Jack Cable Module Converter 5v Hoping this will allow me get the unit up and running to check the firmware. I do not currently have any RacerMate software on my PC. I found a d'load for RacerMate One v4.1.0.6 from the RacerMate site. Will this do the trick, you think?

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy wrote:
Nice.

Thanks, MTL.

What is your connection b/t the controller and your PC?
I have on order a stereo jack to USB cable.
I THINK this is all I need to get the controller to talk to Zwift.

Z

That's exactly what I have I use to have the stereo to serial connector but change a few years ago to stereo jack/usb works perfectly.

I also, personally use my garmin hr strap with an ant+ little usb connector, I hate the ear plug for HR from computrainer.

My computrainer rans since 1999 might have upgrade the chip firmware a long the years don't recall.

Download the trial version just to validate your connection/connectivity before investing in a membership.

$999 was the amount I paid for my computrainer can basically said that spread over the last 20 years comes down to $50 per/year or $4 per/month put in a tire every 2-3 years... I would say a very good investment in training gear for the bike, mostly the best buck for the usage... I would guess including only the tire each ride comes down to between $0.75

My swimsuit tyr last for 3-4 years easily at $15 that's maybe the cheapest overall Triathlon relate... swimming 150-180 times per year in it. It comes down to around $0.03 per practice

Keep that computrainer until it dies ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YASS! Thank you, MTL. And Efernand.
Great tips and advice.
I have ZERO RacerMate software on my PC.
What do you recommend?

Z

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Great tips and advice.
What do you recommend?

I'd start with the old software, even pre-3D, or the Coaching Software. Just to check and make sure your Computrainer and adapter is working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done! New cable will be here January 4.
Will see how this goes.
Thanks for all the help!

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy wrote:
Great tips and advice.
What do you recommend?

Z

The cheapest software compatible with computrainer is PerfPro it's an one time cost!

Plenty of workouts... very comparable with trainerroad less the plans!

Probably also a free trial for this one. I bought many years ago used plenty of time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, MTL!

@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can check out Golden Cheetah, too. It's free, open source software that controls the computrainer. I use this for 95% of my indoor training stuff.

Also download Racermate One for free, which is decent for the 3d courses and spinscan (if you want to use it).

Perfpro is cool if you want multi-riders or access to their workouts and calendars. If you already have your training laid out, then you only really need Golden Cheetah for training. No need to buy anything else.....yet.

But I have two Lab computrainers and neither have any issues with Zwift on Windows 10. They have the highest Firmware number in the controllers, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy wrote:
Excellent.

Thanks a bunch, efernand. Very helpful. It has been a while since I have had the CT up and running. I have lost the stereo/serial chord. :-( Here is what I have on order: Ftdi USB to TTL 3.5mm Stereo Jack Cable Module Converter 5v Hoping this will allow me get the unit up and running to check the firmware. I do not currently have any RacerMate software on my PC. I found a d'load for RacerMate One v4.1.0.6 from the RacerMate site. Will this do the trick, you think?
I bought one of my computrainers new and one used, the both came with the headphone jack to usb cord. One went bad and I bought a replacement on amazon that worked fine, it looks like the one you bought but the seller was bluemax49ers, he's on ebay too. --> http://a.co/d/4kTkuo9
Quote Reply