Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Most guys wouldn't even be able to land a drone on a specific spot on a floor much less trying to hit a moving body.

I agree with you points except this one. You'd be surprised what a skilled operator can do. Check out YouTube.

I could envision a swarm of small, low-cost drones entering a building or campus and automatically dispersing to cover a wide area. They'd provide video, bidirectional audio, and a secure network. Any one or combination of them could go into "flashbang mode" emitting debilitating/distracting sound and light.
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
M~ wrote:
Most guys wouldn't even be able to land a drone on a specific spot on a floor much less trying to hit a moving body.

I agree with you points except this one. You'd be surprised what a skilled operator can do. Check out YouTube.

I could envision a swarm of small, low-cost drones entering a building or campus and automatically dispersing to cover a wide area. They'd provide video, bidirectional audio, and a secure network. Any one or combination of them could go into "flashbang mode" emitting debilitating/distracting sound and light.

It will get there, but not any time soon for any type of cost efficient pricepoint. Yes a skilled operator could do it. How many of those would be in a school/on a police force?
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I'm just curious. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any agencies studying the use of drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys where there are mass casualties. I could see several benefits to using them; they are stealthy, the operator is not risking their life, it can provide video that can prove useful for tactical and first aid response. The drone could probably be armed with lethal or non-lethal weapons.

I would think there would be a good market for a drone that could be used in situations like these.

When you look at the issue with the Broward SRO not responding - for whatever reason - having a drone could have made a difference.

Thoughts?

You have not been near or flown a drone, they are NOT stealthy, they are pretty loud. You can hear mine fly overhead when its at 300ft. Granted at that height you have to be listening for it, but 200ft you know its there. Pretty easy to shoot down inside since you wont have lots of room to maneuver. Fixed camera's in the hallway with police access would be a lower cost, more effective solution.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been around one a couple of times. Stealth can pertain to visibility. If someone is shooting or looking for students, they may not pay attention to that buzzing sound. Likewise, if they were outside - the drone could be high enough that they would have to look for it if they did hear it. That distraction is a positive.

Then, if they wanted to empty their gun shooting at it - then that is one magazine less ammo they have to shoot at students.
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Thoughts? Different than many - I think school shootings resulting in multiple deaths are rare and that we are making more of them than they deserve. Dating back to 1980 there have been 8 shootings at elementary, middle, and high schools involving 4 or more deaths, including the shooter. Another one involved 4 deaths, Kip Kinkel, but 2 of those were his parents and only 2 were students.

We have made this a national crisis when it is in fact still very unlikely to happen.

Odd you choose 1980, Columbine was in 1999 and what I think of as the first mass school shooting, they seem to be increasing in frequency, and I think anytime kids in a supposedly safe place of school are killed in mass its going to get more attention.

But your opinion, is in line with what I think is happening in this country, eh it's ok it doesn't happen that often. Just another day in America.

Well this is an interesting link, Seems China has a problem with school killings also. https://en.wikipedia.org/..._of_school_massacres

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
JSA wrote:

You can fly a drone indoors. I think he is envisioning hovering drones, not fixed wing drones. That said, drones capable of carrying weapon systems are very large and very loud.

Even that might not be a bad thing if it draws the shooters attention away from other students. The weapon wouldn't need to be too large, even a .22 with a few rounds could be useful if it was accurate.

IF we are going to consider something like this (and I am not saying we should), then it should be a wheeled robot. It would be easier to control, more stable, and more accurate. It would be like a bomb-handling remote vehicle. It could be big enough that the weapon system could be encased in armor so if the robot was "captured" by the shooter, the on-board weapon system could not be used.

Wouldn't just sending in a couple dogs be easier yet. Heck maybe thats it, each schools get 2 dogs per every 1000 students.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
JSA wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
JSA wrote:

You can fly a drone indoors. I think he is envisioning hovering drones, not fixed wing drones. That said, drones capable of carrying weapon systems are very large and very loud.

Even that might not be a bad thing if it draws the shooters attention away from other students. The weapon wouldn't need to be too large, even a .22 with a few rounds could be useful if it was accurate.

IF we are going to consider something like this (and I am not saying we should), then it should be a wheeled robot. It would be easier to control, more stable, and more accurate. It would be like a bomb-handling remote vehicle. It could be big enough that the weapon system could be encased in armor so if the robot was "captured" by the shooter, the on-board weapon system could not be used.

Wouldn't just sending in a couple dogs be easier yet. Heck maybe thats it, each schools get 2 dogs per every 1000 students.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS

Only if they have bees in their mouths.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
j p o wrote:
Thoughts? Different than many - I think school shootings resulting in multiple deaths are rare and that we are making more of them than they deserve. Dating back to 1980 there have been 8 shootings at elementary, middle, and high schools involving 4 or more deaths, including the shooter. Another one involved 4 deaths, Kip Kinkel, but 2 of those were his parents and only 2 were students.

We have made this a national crisis when it is in fact still very unlikely to happen.

Odd you choose 1980, Columbine was in 1999 and what I think of as the first mass school shooting, they seem to be increasing in frequency, and I think anytime kids in a supposedly safe place of school are killed in mass its going to get more attention.

But your opinion, is in line with what I think is happening in this country, eh it's ok it doesn't happen that often. Just another day in America.

Well this is an interesting link, Seems China has a problem with school killings also. https://en.wikipedia.org/..._of_school_massacres

I'll go back to 1764 if it made you happy, but that was Indians or to 2010 if that works https://en.m.wikipedia.org/...in_the_United_States

Mass shootings in grade schools (elementary, middle, high) resulting in 4 or more deaths really are not really more frequent, 3 since 2010.

I'm not nonchalant about school shootings. But it also isn't hard to see people trying to use them to advance whatever political agenda they have. I doubt their sincerity, especially since every side imaginable thinks it proves their side is righteous. Far more people die from far more mundane issues that we ignore. But then it is hard to politicize lightning and bees.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree more needs to be done regarding mental health. That said, would "free mental heath resources" have stopped any of these shooters?

Florida School Shooter: Was receiving mental health treatment. Stopped and refused to go back about 1 year prior to shooting. No financial issue regarding treatment.

Virginia Tech Shooter: Diagnosed with severe anxiety. Was receiving "free" mental health treatment along with "free" special education courses.

Texas Church Shooter: Actually escaped from a mental health facility which was provided to him at no direct charge to him.

Aurora Theater Shooter: Self-reported to his college counselor. He was receiving treatment from 3 different doctors and medication at no cost to him.

Sandy Hook Shooter: Mother tried to get him committed, but he was an adult and could not be locked up without his consent. No financial issue regarding treatment.

There seems to be a trend in these cases and lack of mental health resources was not an issue in any of them.

The trend is that none of these documented mental-health cases had their access to weapons restricted or monitored? That might work... it would at least raise one barrier that seems to be pretty low at this point.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's basically impossible to look at Wikipedia HTML tables and conclude fuck-all. So here's some graphs I made by copying HTML tables into Google Docs and doing a little maths.

A little misleading on the end because 2018 isn't over yet, but the data is included. I could go further back if anyone cares, went to 1990.

I haven't done a regression, but from a statistics perspective I'd bet we'd get a positive slope on all 3 stats line from 1990-2018.

It was really obvious while calculating the stats. To calculate frequency at first I was was just eyeball-counting (4's and 5's). Once I got to 2006 or so I had to start using macros to save time. There is one double-digit count (1994) before 2006. From 2007 on there are 9, including this year in March.

So something is happening, statistically, if you believe the Wikipedia numbers. How much significance you want to place on it is up to you.

Last edited by: trail: Mar 12, 18 20:24
Quote Reply
Re: Using drones to take out school shooters and other bad guys [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have much more ambition (and time apparently) than I do. :)

As we have discussed before, a lot is also going to come down to how we define 'school shooting'.

I did not use university shootings as I think those are usually more akin to a workplace shooting and involve older perpetrators.

I only counted 4 or more deaths including the shooter because that is what I felt like doing at the time. There will always (at least since Cain gave Abel 40 whacks with an axe) be instances of one person getting mad at one other person and killing them, school or not, so I looked for the more lethal instances.

And it is tough to tell what was a school related shooting and what was a shooting that just happened to occur near or at a school.

I'm not saying that school shootings are not problematic. I am not saying they are not increasing at some rate., though I think that rate is lower than most people believe. All I am saying is that they are not increasing nearly as dramatically per capita as portrayed and that they are not the scourge on humanity as portrayed.

I may have come off flip, but the US averages more than 50 deaths a year from both bees and lightning, each averages more than the highest total ever (I think) for school violence incidents. But I cannot remember either of those getting any attention at all in our news and both are very preventable without infringing on anyone's rights.

There are far, far more people (and children) killed by guns every day in other circumstance so I would not base gun control laws on school shootings and I certainly wouldn't decide to put multiple armed teachers and several guns just waiting for an accident or misuse in every school in response.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
JSA wrote:

Ground robot perhaps. Drone? No way. How many of these things are there going to be? To have one that can be deployed in such a short period of time makes this impractical. Hell even a ground robot would take time to deploy. I imagine the skill level of the pilot would be very high. How quickly could these operators be deployed? Would probably need to form part of SWAT.
Quote Reply

Prev Next