Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Saddle Material from Specialized
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Material from Specialized [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bikeradar.com/...laston-review-51787/

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to find more information on it. It looks interesting. The photo makes it look like the saddle has a disease. Saddle warts!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/...wer-pro-saddle-r5160

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 12, 18 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Material from Specialized [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why this would be a good saddle for road riding? The whole point of Boost material is to feel koosh upon impact and spring back. If you're just sitting on it without any jolting (i.e. gravel riding), wouldn't it feel kind of hard since it's always trying to "reform" to its natural state? I'm just assuming but everything I've been taught about Boost doesn't make sense for road riding or time trialing.

But it obviously works for gravel riding as stated in the Bike Radar review.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Mar 12, 18 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Material from Specialized [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you have to consider that the sit bones aren't static while you pedal. They move and I'd imagine something like "Boost" would be better suited to moving with the sit bones. Think about it this way: let's say regular foam compresses by 50% when you initially sit on it and as you pedal with your right leg the foam under your right sitcom decompresses to 65% and the foam on your left leg compresses to 35%. Let's say with "boost" those numbers are more like 80% and 10% respectively. The result would be that, at any given time, your sit bones would have a greater surface area in contact with the saddle (thus lower pressure across the whole area).

Just spitballing here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I think you have to consider that the sit bones aren't static while you pedal. They move and I'd imagine something like "Boost" would be better suited to moving with the sit bones. Think about it this way: let's say regular foam compresses by 50% when you initially sit on it and as you pedal with your right leg the foam under your right sitcom decompresses to 65% and the foam on your left leg compresses to 35%. Let's say with "boost" those numbers are more like 80% and 10% respectively. The result would be that, at any given time, your sit bones would have a greater surface area in contact with the saddle (thus lower pressure across the whole area).

Just spitballing here.

Makes sense... if that's how it actually works.

Did the reviewer state whether or not he was on the Power Arc before using this Elaston saddle? He could simply be in love with this saddle because he went from Power to Power Arc. I was on the Power for over a year and "liked" it and what I've heard about the Power Arc makes me want to try it over the Pro Stealth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried it and it feels great. Its much more appropriate looking in person than in pictures. But it definitely seems more padded than other Power and/or Power Arc models. For those that are interested in a Power saddle, I highly recommend trying one, especially if you like century rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Did the reviewer state whether or not he was on the Power Arc before using this Elaston saddle? He could simply be in love with this saddle because he went from Power to Power Arc. I was on the Power for over a year and "liked" it and what I've heard about the Power Arc makes me want to try it over the Pro Stealth.

I've been a Power user for ~2 years. Recently tried the Power ARC and the Pro Stealth and I came to the opposite conclusion. I'm sticking with the Stealth, the ARC came off my bike after 2 rides. The curved top (as viewed from the front or back) made it feel as though it was trying to push my sit bones apart. Try it if you like that sort of curvature.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
I don't understand why this would be a good saddle for road riding? The whole point of Boost material is to feel koosh upon impact and spring back. If you're just sitting on it without any jolting (i.e. gravel riding), wouldn't it feel kind of hard since it's always trying to "reform" to its natural state? I'm just assuming but everything I've been taught about Boost doesn't make sense for road riding or time trialing.

You must ride on extremely smooth roads.
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Material from Specialized [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" The curved top (as viewed from the front or back) made it feel as though it was trying to push my sit bones apart. Try it if you like that sort of curvature. "

Oh hang on. You mean the Arc is pretty much just like the Expert but with increased curvature of the top surface? Effectively making the same sized saddle narrower??

If so, I have a new saddle model to try! I'd been on a PE on my TT bike since 2015 though the contact with my hamstrings made the thing seem a touch too wide to me.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Material from Specialized [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are other differences, but that one was a deal-killer for me. Lots of people like that sort of curvature though, it's very individual. I mentioned it because it's not part of the description on the website, and the photos don't really show it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
There are other differences, but that one was a deal-killer for me. Lots of people like that sort of curvature though, it's very individual. I mentioned it because it's not part of the description on the website, and the photos don't really show it.

Yeah, thanks. It showed up as I trolled several saddle sites but I couldn't see from the graphics why I'd try it. I just swapped the PE from my TT bike to my road bike, to put my SMP Evolution on the TT bike, because I want narrow and it isn't easy to find. Lots of people use the word narrow to describe some saddles, so maybe what I'm actually looking for "narrower than narrow".

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

You must ride on extremely smooth roads.

In comparison to something in Wisconsin, absolutely. In comparison to Arizona, no. SoCal roads are pretty nice, especially when you're only going 12mph uphill for 45 minutes :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Material from Specialized [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
vjohn wrote:

Yeah, thanks. It showed up as I trolled several saddle sites but I couldn't see from the graphics why I'd try it. I just swapped the PE from my TT bike to my road bike, to put my SMP Evolution on the TT bike, because I want narrow and it isn't easy to find. Lots of people use the word narrow to describe some saddles, so maybe what I'm actually looking for "narrower than narrow".

I tried to see it in person before buying one, but my LBS (a Specialized dealer) didn't have it in stock, and did not offer to order one. They instead directed me to the Specialized website (presumably to order one from there myself).

Edit: You may be a candidate for the Cobb Tenace, give it a look as well.
Last edited by: vjohn: Mar 14, 18 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Material from Specialized [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone put in some time with this new material in the Power? I've been using my Power on my tri bike and liking it a lot. I'm wondering if this Pro Elaston material could make it better. Or if maybe the Power Arc would be better.
Quote Reply