Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: THE Best book you've ever read is..... [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huck Finn by Mark Twain. It's a classic and I've probably read it at least 20 times since I was a youngster.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Best book you've ever read is..... [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Blackhawk Down.
This is the SCARIEST book I've ever read. Stephen King's got nothing on this true story. I couldn't sleep for hours any evening I read some of this book.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Best book you've ever read is..... [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. I think it brought to reality the horrors of war. Thats what made this book great. None of this hollywood stuff where no one gets hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Best book you've ever read is..... [CS7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt this would be the book that brought to reality the horrors of war...besides I am fairly sure some movies showed it pretty well to...

the killing fields...
and one that does not show anything but just suggests and really shows you how ugly it is

Johnny got his gun...

if you have never seen this...this is creepy.
A couple of books on The debacle of napoleon in Russia are pretty tough (La Grande Armee)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not the best book as far as writing style, but the best as far as impacting my life, "The Razor's Edge" by W. Somerset Maugham. Later made into a really mediocre movie starring Bill Murray. I read it in high school and again in college when I had lost my way, so to speak.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently started readingBarbara Tuchman's 1962 book, The Guns of August. So phenomenal at the time of publication that they created a new category just so they could give it a Pulitzer Prize. It's about the outbreak of WW I, but is a thrilling account in which you hold your breath as the inbred monarchies of Europe helplessly drift into war--a really fitting book right now for lots of reasons (some but not all of them in support of an anti-war viewpoint).

Also loved some of the other selections: Blackhawk Down, The Hitchhikers Guide, the killer Angels trilogy, almost anything by Ed Abbey, and so on...

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 15 now and my favorites would be

Karl Marx - The Communist Manifesto

Goethe - Faust

Louis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching

and Jon Lee Anderson - Che Guevara

Music: Led Zeppelin, The Who, Crystal Method and the Clash, and not to forget Pink Floyd
Last edited by: dannypattytri: Jan 28, 03 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: THE Best book you've ever read is..... [dannypattytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top couple of books... off the top of my head and no order

- Breakfast at the Victory - James Carse
- Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu (stephen mitchell translation)
- Catcher in The Rye - Salinger
- Autobiography Of Malcom X
- Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
- Miles - Miles Davis
- Hamlet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't read too many books because I am to busy. Besides holiday I mainly read newspaper and magazines.
The last good book I read was Lance Amstrongs 'It is not about the bike'.'
Quote Reply

Prev Next