Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole thing reeks of opportunism by Aird and Berlis. To get to this point there would have had to have been discussions between the parties that did not go anywhere.

A lot of people will therefore be wondering why now, realise that the timing is designed to pressure Ford into a settlement, and come to the conclusion that if he would rather fight his legal team must think it can win.

The Ford Nation will no doubt point to the fact that Mike Brown's sister, Fiona Brown, is apparently a Partner at Aird and Berlis. Although personally I think this is neither here nor there since David Miller, that darling of the NDP who held us here in Toronto to ransom for many years, also worked at the firm after being succeeded by Rob Ford.
Last edited by: scobig: Jun 5, 18 4:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
len wrote:
I am told the teachers have been told via their unions to vote NDP. I am hoping as you say if Ford gets his feet under the desk he will get a good finance minister and take some advice. I am sure he will keep blustering though.

Well, what would you expect after the anti teacher Conservative government of Mike "slash and burn" Harris, ironically himself a failed teacher who got the boot from his board before selling cars and then going into politics.

And I get this guy in my riding:

https://www.therecord.com/...mplicated-candidate/

Sounds like a real treat.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He sounds like a terrible candidate

The Mike Harris years were a mixed bag for me. As I recall debt was controlled. Municipal amalgamation was a really bad move.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
len wrote:
I am told the teachers have been told via their unions to vote NDP. I am hoping as you say if Ford gets his feet under the desk he will get a good finance minister and take some advice. I am sure he will keep blustering though.

Well, what would you expect after the anti teacher Conservative government of Mike "slash and burn" Harris, ironically himself a failed teacher who got the boot from his board before selling cars and then going into politics.

And I get this guy in my riding:

https://www.therecord.com/...mplicated-candidate/

Sounds like a real treat.

Just what we need, another Harris and a Mulroney. Why don't they just throw in another Harper.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole thing reeks of opportunism by Aird and Berlis. To get to this point there would have had to have been discussions between the parties that did not go anywhere.

A lot of people will therefore be wondering why now, realise that the timing is designed to pressure Ford into a settlement, and come to the conclusion that if he would rather fight his legal team must think it can win.

Sure the timing is fishy and opportunistic - agreed. I step back from that and ask the question I always ask - why is it that for Ford family is constantly, and I do me constantly, 5 steps away from this sort of thing? It just goes on and on. It never ends!

People get all worked up by the singular sensationalistic events - but this is a pattern of events, behaviors, fiascoes and scandals that's been going on for years.

If you like your elected leaders to be 5 steps from the police, the courts, law-suits, constantly in the news for other reasons, and other scandals, then I guess you are OK with the Fords. But viewed in it's entirety, when you put it all together, when you connect the dots, it speaks to the credibility and integrity, of in this case Doug Ford - is he suitable to be the Premier of Ontario, with all of that stuff laid out and lined up behind him? Millions don't seem to have a problem with it so, we'll get what we get.

However, it's a bit rich for Doug to be standing there lecturing us all on his business acumen, and how he'll with that great business back-ground, turn the province of Ontario completely around, when in fact, if the Statement of Claim is right, that business success is a sham - that the Deco Labels business is currently in shambles! If he mismanaged that, relatively speaking a small business, how will he manage the 17th largest economy in the world? He couldn't find the "efficiencies" at Deco to make it successful - how will he do that for the Ontario Government?

If Doug ends up as Premier, and I have a PC MPP in my riding, the eMails from me to my MPP, will be flowing regularly - I'll try and hold them accountable, and will as best as I can, keep their feet to the flames.

But I know how that will go - they'll just ignore me. In the Stephen Harper years, our local MP was a Conservative. I would write to her regularly, and nicely about Government Policy, send along clips from the news, make suggestions etc . . . she never responded!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 5, 18 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I step back from that and ask the question I always ask - why is it that for Ford family is constantly, and I do me constantly, 5 steps away from this sort of thing? It just goes on and on. It never ends!

I agree. Unfortunately, there are some families who are like that.

Fleck wrote:
People get all worked up by the singular sensationalistic events - but this is a pattern of events, behaviors, fiascoes and scandals that's been going on for years.

Ironically, this is exactly how I feel about the Liberals

Fleck wrote:
If you like your elected leaders to be 5 steps from the police, the courts, law-suits, constantly in the news for other reasons, and other scandals, then I guess you are OK with the Fords. But viewed in it's entirety, when you put it all together, when you connect the dots, it speaks to the credibility and integrity, of in this case Doug Ford - is he suitable to be the Premier of Ontario, with all of that stuff laid out and lined up behind him? Millions don't seem to have a problem with it so, we'll get what we get.

Such is the nature of populist politicians. They are elected nonetheless, and it is because the electorate is so fed up that it is willing to look past what would have previously been deemed unacceptable.

Fleck wrote:
However, it's a bit rich for Doug to be standing there lecturing us all on his business acumen, and how he'll with that great business back-ground, turn the province of Ontario completely around, when in fact, if the Statement of Claim is right, that business success is a sham - that the Deco Labels business is currently in shambles! If he mismanaged that, relatively speaking a small business, how will he manage the 17th largest economy in the world? He couldn't find the "efficiencies" at Deco to make it successful - how will he do that for the Ontario Government?

But surely that's the point, it is an unproven Statement of Claim. The burden of proof is with Renata Ford. She has made allegations. It is up to her to now prove them.

Fleck wrote:
If Doug ends up as Premier, and I have a PC MPP in my riding, the eMails from me to my MPP, will be flowing regularly - I'll try and hold them accountable, and will as best as I can, keep their feet to the flames.

I would hope you would do this irrespective of who is elected Premier.

Fleck wrote:
But I know how that will go - they'll just ignore me. In the Stephen Harper years, our local MP was a Conservative. I would write to her regularly, and nicely about Government Policy, send along clips from the news, make suggestions etc . . . she never responded!

This speaks more to the individual than the party. I can show you thousands of pieces of correspondence that have been sent out which have similarly gone unanswered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sure the timing is fishy and opportunistic - agreed. I step back from that and ask the question I always ask - why is it that for Ford family is constantly, and I do me constantly, 5 steps away from this sort of thing? It just goes on and on. It never ends!

But, but, but Hillary!

No, seriously, isn't this one of the jabs at the Clintons? That, even if they weren't directly involved, those around them were involved in all kinds of scandals? What is the Clinton body count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I do - regardless of party. One would hope that at the constituent level it's non-partisan.

I've voiced my concerns to our current Liberal MPP about the debt and their lack of fiscal restraint. I've also thanked him for game-changing changes and good things they have done on transit in the area, and some legislation (Vulnerable Road User Highway & Traffic Act changes to better protect cyclists/pedestrians by shifting more responsibility to motorists), that will unfortunately die with the Liberal Government That's not something I can see Doug Ford getting behind. I recall on the short-lived 1010 Ford Nation Show with brother Rob, that Doug ounce threatened physical violence to any cyclist who cut his car off!!

I stay in contact with our Federal MP, as well, a Liberal as well as the Mayor of our /towncity. Unlike the previous Conservative MP, our current Liberal MP does write me back, and has even seeked out my opinion on a matter! The Mayor recently asked me what I thought about a matter as well relating to cycling in the community.

This type of constituent interaction is really how our democratic system is supposed to work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never followed Canadian politics nor do I know anything about the parties or processes; however, I find myself really wanting this Doug Ford guy to win this election. The most entertaining thing left on slowtwitch is listening to you guys whine and moan...
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it.

Just you wait until the Federal election next year. It'll be like season two of your favourite TV show!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been encouraged by the CBC of all places in the last few days having call ins focusing on things like the loss of our small to medium manufacturing sector due to high electricity rates. One guy told the story of his 15K monthly hydro bill doubling. He also related the story of a guy buying a shuttered down factory just to get the roofspace to put solar panels up there and collect 80 cents per KW/h. No tenant needed for the business. Then the province charges back that electricity at high rates to manufacturers and puts them out of business. Madness.

Whoever gets elected really needs to increase the productivity of the gov't sector. I'd be happy with downsizing through attrition alone but productivity needs a boost. Hopefully the days of solving problems by just throwing money at them are over.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I do - regardless of party. One would hope that at the constituent level it's non-partisan.

I've voiced my concerns to our current Liberal MPP about the debt and their lack of fiscal restraint.

In my opinion Ontario's debt is the deciding factor for my vote in today's election. I don't trust that either the NDP or the Liberals are capable of exercising fiscal responsibility if elected.

See the below link for a stark reminder of Ontario's current debt:

http://www.debtclock.ca/...ario/ontario-s-debt/
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find myself really wanting this Doug Ford guy to win this election.

Why is that?

Outside views are important, particularly from our largest trading/business partner (the U.S.)

Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 7, 18 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Whoever gets elected really needs to increase the productivity of the gov't sector. I'd be happy with downsizing through attrition alone but productivity needs a boost. Hopefully the days of solving problems by just throwing money at them are over.

I agree, but, good luck trying to implement that. You will face an army of resistance from government and union workers. No one in government wants smaller government.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:
Fleck wrote:

I've voiced my concerns to our current Liberal MPP about the debt and their lack of fiscal restraint.

In my opinion Ontario's debt is the deciding factor for my vote in today's election. I don't trust that either the NDP or the Liberals are capable of exercising fiscal responsibility if elected.

See the below link for a stark reminder of Ontario's current debt:

http://www.debtclock.ca/...ario/ontario-s-debt/

Good luck if you really believe Doug will make a difference.. With all his promised tax cuts and at the same time improved services his figures don't make any more sense than anybody else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck if you really believe Doug will make a difference.. With all his promised tax cuts and at the same time improved services his figures don't make any more sense than anybody else.

It is voting day and I'm on my way out soon and still haven't decided.

The NDP is out of the question but I am considering voting Liberal just with the hope that it will lead to a minority government. Then, the PC's will get rid of Ford after realizing he couldn't win with a path cleared for him and then vote in a much stronger candidate.

Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

including healthcare workers?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
len wrote:

including healthcare workers?

If your system is similar to BC's, I would say yes.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Doug Ford new leader of Ontario PC Party [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always remember this article from the Financial Post in 2015 (http://business.financialpost.com/...rs-for-years-to-come) with the following graphic to illustrate how 87% of Ontario's "net public debt was accumulated in the years since 1990":

To quote the article:

"The defeat of Eves ushered in the Liberals under Dalton McGuinty in 2003 and then Kathleen Wynne in 2013. This period witnessed the largest debt accumulation in Ontario’s history. While the onset of the 2009 recession was a factor damaging Ontario’s public finances, rapid increases in health and education spending and rising debt were underway well before 2009. Between 2003 and 2014, net public debt grew to $287.3 billion from $138.8 billion – an increase of $148.5-billion. The net debt-to-GDP ratio grew to 40% from 27.5%.

Ontario has been a province since 1867 but 87% of its net public debt was accumulated in the years since 1990. The stock of debt currently requires $11 billion a year in debt service – a burden as small as it is only by the grace of low interest rates. All administrations have contributed to Ontario’s debt with some playing a greater role than others. The road to debt may be paved with good intentions in the short run — but in the long run, fiscal consequences will resonate with the Ontario taxpayer for years to come."
Last edited by: scobig: Jun 7, 18 12:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next