Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Filling in the aero bar gap
Quote | Reply
So I have a new set of aero bars, I tend to just run a bta in races.
I’ve been playing with carbon fibre molds so I am considering using the space between the aero bar risers as a storage space, essentially filling it in and directing air around rather than between.
Presumably this is the idea of bike such as the Scott plasma which seem to have this area filled.
Would this be a good idea or best left open for air to flow through?
I guess it would be part of the idea of making the front of the bike like a cone, directing air flow around.
Quote Reply
Re: Filling in the aero bar gap [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my experience it rarely works the way you would like. I tried to smooth the area at the bottom of the aerobars to get the air to cleanly move under that bars and pads, rather than just having a messy area where some air would be hitting the pad holders and the misc un-aero stuff around there. I tested it in the wind tunnel and it was a bit slower. Probably two reasons. 1) You are increasing frontal area and drag is CdA. 2) the air that is coming off you forearm area tends to like to flow under your elbows, along the top tube, and out past the seat post. Fairing this area tends to push the airflow onto other bits of the frame.

I am not saying this can't work, but it isn't straight forward or a likely aero gain.
Quote Reply
Re: Filling in the aero bar gap [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I thought that might be the case, best to try and keep that area clean then.
Quote Reply
Re: Filling in the aero bar gap [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

It’s why we all aren’t running one of these: https://www.bikeradar.com/...key-and-bauer-12593/

grumpier.mike wrote:
In my experience it rarely works the way you would like. I tried to smooth the area at the bottom of the aerobars to get the air to cleanly move under that bars and pads, rather than just having a messy area where some air would be hitting the pad holders and the misc un-aero stuff around there. I tested it in the wind tunnel and it was a bit slower. Probably two reasons. 1) You are increasing frontal area and drag is CdA. 2) the air that is coming off you forearm area tends to like to flow under your elbows, along the top tube, and out past the seat post. Fairing this area tends to push the airflow onto other bits of the frame.

I am not saying this can't work, but it isn't straight forward or a likely aero gain.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Filling in the aero bar gap [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
+1

It’s why we all aren’t running one of these: https://www.bikeradar.com/...key-and-bauer-12593/

Ha! I had one of those!
Quote Reply
Re: Filling in the aero bar gap [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the rules of what you make as it can be open to the officials discretion on the day of what is deemed legal or not and you may have to pull it off. Read the article of my mate who made a similar thing for Kona and after review he had to pull it off on race day. Read the article and check the link in the comments to his mosh too.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/The_tinkerer_Isaac_Tonello_4730.html
Quote Reply