Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

9 weeks from goal 70.3; how to approach run training after injury
Quote | Reply
After battling a slight case of patellar tendinitis I'm finally coming back to feel normal. I'm racing Gulf Coast 70.3 and my bike and swim are on par, but my run took a huge hit, both volume and intensity. I've cut my mileage by half (from 40-45 mpw w/ some speed work) to 20-30 (with a little tempo work). I haven't done a proper long run in 2 months—the longest run being about 12 miles. I'm generally running 5-6 times a week.

How to I approach this last block? Should I focus on getting over the 50mpw volume consistently or stick to 35-40-ish mpw with more intensity (with the idea being 5k-10k style speed work)?

I did my first half-iron distance and had to walk-run due to nutritional issues/over-biking (ended up @ 1:49, but I'm confident I can go sub-1:35 on a flat course). My training was predominately volume-focused at 50+mpw for that race.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: 9 weeks from goal 70.3; how to approach run training after injury [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are on nearly an identical track. I had a foot problem that hit in December that led to surgery in mid-January. I have not run since mid-December. I am hoping to do an easy treadmill test run this week. Bike and swim are OK, but not where they should be-- I was able to do both except for the window around the surgery. Those I can easily recover. Not sure what I can do for the run, except try to ramp-up volume as aggressively as my foot will allow.

I have no advice for you, just commiseration.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 weeks from goal 70.3; how to approach run training after injury [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no running expert, just someone who injures himself a lot and learning from it. I think having some goal mileage per week to make up for time lost is a recipe to get hurt again. Do what your body let's you do.

And I also think 35 miles per week is enough for a half distance. So why push it. If you want to shift focus to higher tempo runs, that still gives you plenty of mileage for longer stuff. Maybe only run 4 days a week. 5k, 10k, 10k, 15 miler. That's 30 miles and I think I'd be happy to race my best race with those numbers (I am way slower than you though)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
How to I approach this last block?.

Don’t get injured.

Whatever you do, don’t get injured.

Whenever thinking about what you should do, think don’t get injured.

It’s a 70.3, forget speedwork. Easy miles most days and if you feel good let it drift into tempo but it’s not that important. Keep running 6 days a week, if you can hold 30mpw comfortably then try bumping it up 10%.

Don’t rush for an arbitrary 50mpw target, 40mpw un-injured is a whole lot more productive.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 weeks from goal 70.3; how to approach run training after injury [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as well. I've been battling Plantar Fasciitis since October and barely run for ages (2x 3 miles per month). I've been hitting the bike hard though and doing loads of swimming. I'm 9 weeks out from my first 70.3 of the year and just starting to think about ruinning again. My approach is going to be to avoid running lots of miles and just do a steady minimum. I managed an IM on less than 20 mpw for instance and it was only when i started doing lots of long/slow Barry.P style training that things went south for me and my feet.

My race plan is going to be: Swim as badly as i usually do, getting to a half empty T1, spend 2.5 hours overtaking hundreds of riders and then it's only a half marathon - how hard can it be?.... wish me luck :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're able for 30 mpw now I think you're in a pretty good place. The 4 runs per week suggestion earlier made sense to me - avoiding running on consecutive days most of the time is nice and conservative. Hold what you have ;-)

If you have spare time from less running, you could focus on rehab work to prevent recurrence and bike more.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 weeks from goal 70.3; how to approach run training after injury [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
cloy wrote:
How to I approach this last block?.

Don’t get injured.

Whatever you do, don’t get injured.

That.

I suffered from injuries in the months preceding my first two 70.3s, and it took all the willpower not to stress too much and reinjure myself. Forget speedwork, forget anything. In fact, if you're running 30mpw now, you're in a good place. Just keep it up, your body won't forget how to perform on race day.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See if you have an Altra-G somewhere in your area? You run in an air-bubble thingymajig and it takes off some of your body weight. It's a good way to get in mileage without as much stress on the body. It's not going to simulate the race very well but you could do some of the training on there to keep the muscles familiar with running and reduce the risk of injury.

As one of the posters above said, just make sure you don't get injured.
Quote Reply