Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New study: Cycling slows muscle aging.
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New study: Cycling slows muscle aging. [DJFaithful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess related to repetitious, low-impact use and general cardiovascular health. I would expect this to be similar to other muscles in swimmers in the same age range. A runner might, but we tend to face other deterioration issues due to long-term effects of higher impact and, usually, more injuries through time.
Quote Reply
Re: New study: Cycling slows muscle aging. [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Koz wrote:
I would guess related to repetitious, low-impact use and general cardiovascular health. I would expect this to be similar to other muscles in swimmers in the same age range. A runner might, but we tend to face other deterioration issues due to long-term effects of higher impact and, usually, more injuries through time.

A sister study was released same day.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729

"How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining.

They followed 125 long-distance cyclists, some now in their 80s, and found they had the immune systems of 20-year-olds..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Study linked in the article. I liked it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much (anything?) really new in that article. Good confirmation of previous work with a large sample size, though.
Quote Reply
Re: New study: Cycling slows muscle aging. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Not much (anything?) really new in that article. Good confirmation of previous work with a large sample size, though.

I see they made a reference to some researchers in 1992:

Coggan, A. R., Spina, R. J., King, D. S., Rogers, M. A., Brown, M., Nemeth, P. M., & Holloszy, J. O. (1992). Histochemical and enzymatic comparison of the gastrocnemius muscle of young and elderly men and women. Journal of Gerontology, 47(3), B71–B76. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/47.3.B71
Quote Reply
Re: New study: Cycling slows muscle aging. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually happier that they chose to cite this paper as well:

Coggan, A. R., Abduljalil, A. M., Swanson, S. C., Earle, M. S., Farris, J. W., Mendenhall, L. A., & Robitaille, P. M. (1993). Muscle metabolism during exercise in young and older untrained and endurance-trained men. Journal of Applied Physiology, 75(5), 2125–2133.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23539308

I say that because certain prominent researchers seem to deliberately choose to ignore it, even though it was the first to use 31P MRS to address the interactive effects of aging and training on human locomotory muscle. (There was one previous 31P MRS study of aging of human forearm muscle.)

Ironically, though, they didn't cite the paper below, which has been cited the most of all by others:

Skeletal muscle adaptations to endurance training in 60-to 70-yr-old men and women
AR Coggan, RJ Spina, DS King, MA Rogers, M Brown, PM Nemeth, ...
Journal of Applied Physiology 72 (5), 1780-1786, 1992
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 11, 18 14:24
Quote Reply