Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Savageman 80??? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty darn good way of sectioning the new course. Last weekend I rode Westernport, Aarons Run, and Michael Rd. Basically everything but Dry Run Rd. Add in Dry Run and I have no idea how I am going to be expected to run afterwards.

The 80 is 4 big climbs but with this there are 4 big descents. All 4 have places that can make for a bad day.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 80??? [zbittin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zbittin wrote:
That's a pretty darn good way of sectioning the new course. Last weekend I rode Westernport, Aarons Run, and Michael Rd. Basically everything but Dry Run Rd. Add in Dry Run and I have no idea how I am going to be expected to run afterwards.

The 80 is 4 big climbs but with this there are 4 big descents. All 4 have places that can make for a bad day.

How's Aarons Run to top of Big Savage? I've never done that one. I feel like it's got to be horrific. Essentially all the climbing of base of Westernport to top of Big Savage, but removing the three miles of flat/gentle recovery in the middle. It's got to be on par difficulty-wise to Michaels Rd, no?

I don't know how many people are doing the 80, but it's gonna be memorable.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 80??? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

I believe the website says 100 participant limit on the Savageman80, and it is still open for registration so less than a 100 signed up I would guess.

The Savageman60 has no limit that I could find.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
zbittin wrote:

How's Aarons Run to top of Big Savage? I've never done that one. I feel like it's got to be horrific. Essentially all the climbing of base of Westernport to top of Big Savage, but removing the three miles of flat/gentle recovery in the middle. It's got to be on par difficulty-wise to Michaels Rd, no?

Oh it’s the worst in my opinion. It was 42 minutes for me with only two short descents. Both of those are less than 70 seconds so it is essentially 42 minutes of climbing. There are several sections at the top of Aaron’s that are real steep and then you have to deal with the last section of Big Savage.

There is a section of Michaels that deserves mentioning. Towards the top at what is referred to as Beachys Farm is a super steep section. It is steep and continual. The descent is a 50+ mph straight down. The problem is it is so steep that people will be paperboying it up at the same time people will be coming down. That could get real ugly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zbittin wrote:
The problem is it is so steep that people will be paperboying it up at the same time people will be coming down. That could get real ugly.

That is actually a really good point regarding the new out and backs. Hopefully it will be addressed as a warning at the athlete briefing and a quick mention near the start of the race.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothpick descent near the finish is nasty. And, the new Olympic, 60, and 80 all do it. Steep, super tight turn, and off camber. And less than 1/2 mile from finish, so people will be both cooked and have their mind on being off the bike and easy to have too much speed before realizing too late they're done for. Hopefully they'll have a flagger there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up and THEN looked at the map. Michaels is the worst lol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Toothpick descent near the finish is nasty. And, the new Olympic, 60, and 80 all do it. Steep, super tight turn, and off camber. And less than 1/2 mile from finish, so people will be both cooked and have their mind on being off the bike and easy to have too much speed before realizing too late they're done for. Hopefully they'll have a flagger there.

That’s a good point! Years ago a buddy of mine overcooked that right hander and went through a gravel driveway. No harm no foul on that day but now that same driveway generally has a chain across it.

Michaels has a yellow line so as long as people respect it and stay a little focused it will be fine. I just rode it today and man is it a quick descent though.
Quote Reply
Re: Savageman 80??? [joshjan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This 80 is taylomade for you! Shortened the swim and really extended the bike. By the time people hit the farm on Michaels they will have long forgotten they even got in the lake!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zbittin wrote:
This 80 is taylomade for you! Shortened the swim and really extended the bike. By the time people hit the farm on Michaels they will have long forgotten they even got in the lake!

I don't know the current spread in Vegas, but I've got Beck + 60 minutes for the 80.

Separate note, wonder if it makes more sense for them to come down Michael Rd and up Barton Rd. A little hard-packed dirt is good for triathletes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next