Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub?
Quote | Reply
Just n+1'd and the new ride is an 11 speed, my 10 speed 808's are from 2010, per SRAM/Zipp (phone conversation) they do not have the 188 hub required for a conversion to an 11 speed which debuted in 2012.

Then there is Edco Monoblock 11 speed cassettes, which are pricey but apparently you can run one on a 10 speed hub via their custom 11 speed lock extended locking ring.

Anyone doing this with an older zipp wheel? Comments or thoughts? Safety?

I found a youtube video and a few reviews will little detail. Help!

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Mar 7, 18 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing it to make my Zipp 900 disc 11spd for my Cervelo P4.... pretty straight forward, just slide on and screw the lock ring on. No issues, shifted flawlessly out of the gate.

jsmith82 wrote:
Just n+1'd and the new ride is an 11 speed, my 10 speed 808's are from 2010, per SRAM/Zipp (phone conversation) they do not have the 188 hub required for a conversion to an 11 speed which debuted in 2012.

Then there is Edco Monoblock 11 speed cassettes, which are pricey but apparently you can run one on a 10 speed hub via their custom 11 speed lock extended locking ring.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on the Edco cassette but there is a small maching shop company in Canada that sells 11spd cassettes that they machine out to work on a 10spd hub. They use standard Shimano cassettes and I think it's about a $45 cost over the price of the cassette itself. You can also send them your own cassette to be machined.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks for sharing!

@TH3_FRB, do have a name on that company?

ericMPro wrote:
I'm doing it to make my Zipp 900 disc 11spd for my Cervelo P4.... pretty straight forward, just slide on and screw the lock ring on. No issues, shifted flawlessly out of the gate.

jsmith82 wrote:

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Name of the company (and other conversion options too) right here on this page:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do they wear vs normal cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a cassette from Lasco Concept for $143 ultegra 11-32 last March. It works perfectly. Hugo sent mine out next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two Edcos, one for Sub9 and another for an older 808. They work perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My lasco works great also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So based on the above there is no risk in purchasing a 10 speed Zipp disk with power tap, even though I run SRAM etap?
Last edited by: CJAC: Apr 23, 18 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
So based on the above there is no risk in purchasing a 10 speed Zipp disk with power tap, even though I run SRAM etap?

No risk assuming you machine the 11 speed cassette as per above.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another bonus... if you find a disc with a Campagnolo hub, their 11 speed cassettes fit the "10 speed" Campy freehub perfectly.

I had a "10 speed" Zipp disc with the blue Campy freehub, an 11sp Campy cassette, and ran it on my Shiv with 11sp Di2 with zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s a seller on eBay that will machine your 11 speed cassette to fit a 10 speed hub for $40. I had one done for my 10 speed disc wheel and it worked flawlessly this past weekend. Seller Id is whsh94a or look for item number 112557533746.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Shimano now makes 11 speed cassette that fits 10 speed hubs.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/shimano-ultegra-hg-800-11-34t-cassette-review/

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-ultegra-cs-hg800-cassette

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
find your local machine shop. take your shimano 11 speed cassette, bring the rear cog to them. ask them to machine a circular cut of 40mm diameter and 1.85mm depth. It will take you probably 5 minutes and your machine shop might charge you $5, maybe $10 and work on your 10 speed wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:

Biggest risk is buying the powertap hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might also buy the campy conversion kit for your wheels and put on a 11s campy cassette. it may give you more gearing options than the edco; shifting will be ok, according to my experience. note that neutral support wheels at tdf are all shimano, also for campy riders
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Apr 24, 18 1:14
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using an Edco 11spd cassette on a Zipp 10spd hub? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
find your local machine shop. take your shimano 11 speed cassette, bring the rear cog to them. ask them to machine a circular cut of 40mm diameter and 1.85mm depth. It will take you probably 5 minutes and your machine shop might charge you $5, maybe $10 and work on your 10 speed wheel.

As stated a simple machine shop procedure on a lathe.
Last edited by: Nolegs: Apr 24, 18 5:18
Quote Reply