Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need advice on cross training different bike events (RR, ITT, mtn climb)
Quote | Reply
Let's be up front, I've worked hard but am still a novice at this. I've only ridden two years on the bike at all. I'm the guy who posted about my first RR experience the other day.

I've done the Carmichael time crunched book a while, but with a mix of events coming up, I don't really know what to do. I feel that for the "in season" time of year, that book has ended its usefulness.

If you had these coming up, what might you do?
-April: RR week1, ITT week2, ITT week3
-May: RR week 1, ITT week2, ITT week3, Assault on Mt. Mitchell week 3
-June: two ITT first two weeks
-July: two ITT first two weeks
-Aug: two ITT first two weeks, one hill climb ITT and maybe another RR
-Sep: two ITT, transition to skills practice to give CX a shot, maybe a RR

I feel like May is a hot mess for a newbie like me. A 100mi 10k climb event, a RR, two ITT's.

If I had to pick a priority, I can't. I could survive AOMM tomorrow with a crap time. I could finish mid-pack probably in my cat for the ITT. RR is probably my weakest right now as it depends on a non-existent experience level.

Do you just alter the workouts for a few weeks before the next event?

The book got me to the point fitness wise I'm not a slouch, which is good. But I'm NOT prepared for how to juggle stuff. That book is worthless for this part of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on cross training different bike events (RR, ITT, mtn climb) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not experienced either, less so than you since I've never done a RR.
You seem to be doing mostly ITT, with some road racing and just the one climb event.
What's the Assault on Mt Mitchell event in terms of duration and gradient?

I wouldn't think ITT training would conflict much with mountain climb training unless it's a very short climb.
They'll both surely be down to your ability to tap out a sustained high power solo effort? You may be using different bikes but I haven't found this to be a major issue personally.
The RR is presumably the conflict since you'd want to be working more on your ability to respond to and recover from attacks or on sprinting ability which is not important for timed solo efforts?
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on cross training different bike events (RR, ITT, mtn climb) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're racing a LOT. you'll probably just race yourself into better shape. ultimately just getting fitter is your best answer, you can't possibly prepare for each of those different types of events at the same time. AOMM is basically the opposite of <40k TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on cross training different bike events (RR, ITT, mtn climb) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly.

I'll have to slip in some metrics and full century rides in April before that mountain ride in May. Get comfortable at that much TSS in a ride. I train to hours and TSS, not distance, so that means those rides will be in the 3 to 5 hour range. No pace line. Right now each week that's either a 2 hour tempo ride OR a 90min hammerfest group ride in addition to any HIIT or threshold workouts.

For now I'll probably swap reduce the really hard intervals for some threshold, 2x20, some of that kind of stuff. Then swap back soon enough if a RR comes. That's all I have to go on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I was focusing on my long hill climb ability as my A event was the Granfondo Marmotte Des Alpes (176km with over 5000m+ of climbs). My training consisted of mostly trainer sessions during the work week and one long ride at the weekend. Occasionally I managed a second reasonable duration ride at the weekend or some hill repeats one evening during the week.
My trainer sessions were a mixture of threshold power focused intervals (like 2x20mins @95%FTP or 3x15min over/unders), Zwift races and tough group rides, and some shorter higher intensity efforts like VO2max intervals or very occasionally sprint intervals.
At the weekends I headed for the hills and strung together as many long steep hills as I could. I'm fortunate in having a location within a 1 hour drive where I have a choice of hills ranging from 2.5km at 9.5% average gradient to 10km @6.5% average gradient. So climbed them in various sequences from various directions over the first half of 2017 on rides ranging from maybe 2.5hrs to 5.5hrs. I used a timed climb of the 6.5km hill every few weeks to get a rough idea of my progress.
I ended up in the best shape I've ever been in on the bike, although I hadn't had the bar all that high previously! That training paid off in the Marmotte, but it also gave me great legs for a 70.3 bike leg 7 weeks later. I did, however, notice a drop in my sprint ability. My very top end seems to have dropped significantly but I can't see this mattering except in a sprint for the line in a road race.
My FTP based on 20min tests has increased but not massively, the main thing that has improved is my ability to hold 75-85% of FTP for long periods and recover quickly from efforts around FTP level.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice on cross training different bike events (RR, ITT, mtn climb) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
you're racing a LOT. you'll probably just race yourself into better shape. ultimately just getting fitter is your best answer, you can't possibly prepare for each of those different types of events at the same time. AOMM is basically the opposite of <40k TT.

Kind of what I thought. I didn't want to say if it was a lot of races/events, as plenty of people do much more, but it felt like it.

I think I should focus on the ITT stuff from now till mid-April, then do a mini build for AOMM with some long hours of solo riding one day a week. I have a lot of position and on-road stuff to sort out on the bike that will take up a decent amount of my time.

I really need to do an on-road 10 miler or 25 miler each week at 95% race day pace. The 25 mi distance isn't necessary, but good for getting used to the position. If that's an hour, what's only 24min or so!

With the time change at night I should be able to do a metric century each week for the AOMM thing. I'll probably start with flatter ones at tempo, just ride it out non-stop right at 20ish mph. Then start adding elevation as the event gets closer. Only so much elevation to gain in Raleigh. I do live in the hilliest part of town though, if you want to do repeats of little 2 mile loops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can never have enough FTP

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply