Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy
Quote | Reply
Anti-gentrification is the fight undertaken by some groups and individuals against the slow takeover of lower, lower-middle and middle-class neighborhoods by more well-to-do and hipster-type people. As those folks move in, buying up properties and businesses, prices on most everything, including rents, rises. Often to the point where the neighborhood's original inhabitants can no longer afford to live in the homes and apartments (they're invariably turned into high-priced accommodations) they've typically rented for years.

I don't fault this natural result of the market economy, so don't get me wrong. That being said, it's rough on the people being displaced and it's easy to understand their emotions when they start protesting such market forces. Unfortunately, those anti-gentrification protests are beginning to take on a more violent character in some cases and they're turning the hipsters gentrifying those neighborhoods into objects of sympathy. And if there's one thing I hate, it's feeling sympathy for any hipster: ;-)

Yahoo News reports

"By “making s*** crack” -- by boycotting, protesting, disrupting, threatening and shouting in the streets -- Defend Boyle Heights and its allies have notched a series of surprising victories over the past two and a half years, even as the forces of gentrification continue to make inroads in the neighborhood.

A gallery closed its doors after its “staff and artists were routinely trolled online and harassed in person.” An experimental street opera was shut down after members of the Roosevelt High School band -- egged on by a group of activists -- used saxophones, trombones and trumpets to drown it out. A real estate bike tour promising clients access to a “charming, historic, walkable and bikeable neighborhood” was scrapped after the agent reported threats of violence.

“I can’t help but hope that your 60-minute bike ride is a total disaster and that everyone who eats your artisanal treats pukes immediately,” said one message. The national (and international) media descended, with many outlets flocking to Weird Wave Coffee, a hip new shop that was immediately targeted by activists after opening last summer."

Though not all such protest groups share the same philosophy, Yahoo reports of one group present at one of the protests that might be responsible: "A few activists clutched bright red hammer-and-sickle flags."

Looks like Mick Jagger's "Street Fighting Man" will be making an appearance in the very near future.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boo hoo for the people being pushed out of their homes. They should move to Detroit. Ain't no gentrification happening there.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Boo hoo for the people being pushed out of their homes. They should move to Detroit. Ain't no gentrification happening there.

There's some of it happening here, by the way. Mostly near downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Gentrification was always going to occur as blighted or rundown areas attracted people looking to move in at a decent, low price and "improve their surroundings." The pushback was always going to happen, as well.

I've also always asked the question; "Where are the old residents supposed to go?"

Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:

There's some of it happening here, by the way. Mostly near downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Gentrification was always going to occur as blighted or rundown areas attracted people looking to move in at a decent, low price and "improve their surroundings." The pushback was always going to happen, as well.

I've also always asked the question; "Where are the old residents supposed to go?"

To California, then they can be given some foodstamps and a one way ticket back to Detroit where they can be gifted a shitty house in another shitty neighbourhood that isn't being gentrified.

Problem solved.

Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
BLeP wrote:

To California, then they can be given some foodstamps and a one way ticket back to Detroit where they can be gifted a shitty house in another shitty neighbourhood that isn't being gentrified.

Problem solved.

We don't want 'em back, bro. How about one of those vast, nearly unoccupied provinces in Canuckistan? That'd work out well, don't you think? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We really aren't using Nunavut. Have at it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gentrification is happening here in our midsized southern city, as older homes in long established neighborhoods are sold to new owners. They are being purchased and renovated by people who see houses with "character" and within short bike rides to inner city shopping and restaurants as more desirable than a typical tract home in a suburb. The people being displaced are moving into other areas and much to the surprise of news reporters and local politicians, the crime rate has gone up in formerly quiet neighborhoods and gone down in formerly high crime areas.

It's not happen as fast as it did in DC near the new ball park and Navy Yard, but its still visibly spreading in those neighborhoods affected, both the gentrified areas and those that are the new low cost/character locations.
Last edited by: vecchia capra: Mar 8, 18 5:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is gentrification seen as such a problem? Is it just rent increases?

My older daughter goes to school in Macon and last move-in day, we went into downtown Macon for lunch and to just check it out. Lots of new restaurants and bars, tons of loft apartments built and being built above the old storefronts.. seems like there's a bunch of money being invested in revitalizing the place, a mix of private, public and even university funding. I'm in my mid-40s so hardly hipster demographic, but I thought it was very cool and almost a more "natural" version of some of the newer mixed retail/residential developments that seem to be popping up all over in affluent suburbs (Avalon in Alpharetta, for example)

Still clusters of homeless people hanging out around Macon's downtown (my daughter was telling us some of the older hotel/apartment buildings are basically hostels now) but if that's the alternative to gentrification, why the resistance?
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One man's gentrification is another man's rebirth.

Most of the complaints are that long time renters are moved out without alternative and economically comparable housing available.

The different conversation around this are interesting. One place complains about blighted neighborhoods, the next about gentrification, the next about abysmal housing values, the next that no one can afford to buy a house, the next about urban sprawl, the next about having to live in 'dorms'.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's an interesting situation and one that's happening around Denver. Essentially, poor neighborhoods have higher rates of things people don't like, crime, drugs, etc. As those neighborhoods improve most people agree it's a good thing, but then renters cannot afford to stay there and have to find another cheap (crappy) neighborhood to live in. I can see how they get pissed if they cannot afford to stay where they are, but it's also hard to argue against the improvement in crime and illegal drug use.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
One man's gentrification is another man's rebirth.

Exactly. One man's insurgent is another man's freedom fighter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One should never, ever, feel sorry for hipsters.

I find it odd how some complain about how rough the area they live in is, then, when it starts being invested in and cleaned up, they're up in arms over gentrification. Can't have it both ways.

We are seeing a sort of extreme gentrification of our city, only, it's not lower classes being pushed out, it's even middle and upper middle class feeling the squeeze as property values go through the roof. We bought two years ago for 550,000, 5 years before that our area was under 300,000, now it's 850-900,000. Rents have nearly doubled in a few years.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who flipped houses in Austin for a couple years, the following is what I saw.

Let's start with the negative. What had been lower priced housing closer to the city center is becoming unaffordable. This means longer commutes for those being displaced as they have to move further away.

A couple houses we purchased were either being sold as a divorce settlement or an estate settlement.

A couple of houses we purchased were because the owners needed to avoid foreclosure. In one instance, the home owners had bought the house in 1998 for $12,000. We bought it for $140k. They settled their liens and pocketed a lot of money.

Another example was a mortgage foreclosure. It involved a couple of houses. We helped one person avoid foreclosure and move into a house they could afford. For the house we retained and flipped, we moved that homeowner into the first person's house. She paid cash, settled a lien, and put money in her pocket.

The area we referred to as east of the freeway was not somewhere you wanted to be after dark 15 years ago. Hell, you didn't want to be there in the daylight. Now there are bars, fancy restaurants, offices, and expensive houses (both remodeled and new). It is safer, and a desired place to be. It has cleaned up as the litter, abandoned cars, and dilapidated buildings are being fixed up or removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've seen it when I was in (east) London

I bought in a pretty rough neighbourhood as that's all I could afford around the turn of the millenium. Then slowly things cleaned up as more outsiders bought in (as they'd been priced out of their old neighbourhoods) until there was a tipping point a couple of years after the olympics. Then gentrification kicked in propertly.

Some of my neighbours weren't pushed out as they owned, but most of the originals liked the lower crime and less rubbish, were interested in the new shops, but hated the fact that it didn't feel like their neighbourhood any more - greasy spoons closed and were replaced by boutique coffee houses or stupid fucking cereal emporiums (seriously), their kids or their friends kids couldn't afford to live where they'd grown up, their friends were cashing up and leaving, or were pushed out by increased rents, and the they didn't recognise the incomers: the nieghbourhood was no longer 'theirs' and they were slowly becoming the 'others'. No fucking suprise they pushed back against the waves of hipsters and their little Jeremys and Hermiones.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
One should never, ever, feel sorry for hipsters.

I find it odd how some complain about how rough the area they live in is, then, when it starts being invested in and cleaned up, they're up in arms over gentrification. Can't have it both ways.

We are seeing a sort of extreme gentrification of our city, only, it's not lower classes being pushed out, it's even middle and upper middle class feeling the squeeze as property values go through the roof. We bought two years ago for 550,000, 5 years before that our area was under 300,000, now it's 850-900,000. Rents have nearly doubled in a few years.

It's that crazy mayor of yours. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Anti-gentrification is the fight undertaken by some groups and individuals against the slow takeover of lower, lower-middle and middle-class neighborhoods by more well-to-do and hipster-type people. As those folks move in, buying up properties and businesses, prices on most everything, including rents, rises. Often to the point where the neighborhood's original inhabitants can no longer afford to live in the homes and apartments (they're invariably turned into high-priced accommodations) they've typically rented for years.

I don't fault this natural result of the market economy, so don't get me wrong. That being said, it's rough on the people being displaced and it's easy to understand their emotions when they start protesting such market forces. Unfortunately, those anti-gentrification protests are beginning to take on a more violent character in some cases and they're turning the hipsters gentrifying those neighborhoods into objects of sympathy. And if there's one thing I hate, it's feeling sympathy for any hipster: ;-)

Yahoo News reports

"By “making s*** crack” -- by boycotting, protesting, disrupting, threatening and shouting in the streets -- Defend Boyle Heights and its allies have notched a series of surprising victories over the past two and a half years, even as the forces of gentrification continue to make inroads in the neighborhood.

A gallery closed its doors after its “staff and artists were routinely trolled online and harassed in person.” An experimental street opera was shut down after members of the Roosevelt High School band -- egged on by a group of activists -- used saxophones, trombones and trumpets to drown it out. A real estate bike tour promising clients access to a “charming, historic, walkable and bikeable neighborhood” was scrapped after the agent reported threats of violence.

“I can’t help but hope that your 60-minute bike ride is a total disaster and that everyone who eats your artisanal treats pukes immediately,” said one message. The national (and international) media descended, with many outlets flocking to Weird Wave Coffee, a hip new shop that was immediately targeted by activists after opening last summer."

Though not all such protest groups share the same philosophy, Yahoo reports of one group present at one of the protests that might be responsible: "A few activists clutched bright red hammer-and-sickle flags."

Looks like Mick Jagger's "Street Fighting Man" will be making an appearance in the very near future.

My take on anti-gentrification...

I love my shit hole, I want to keep my shit hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
My take on anti-gentrification...

I love my shit hole, I want to keep my shit hole.

More or less. One of the upsides is that all the bad'uns know which houses/flats to rob and who to mug, as no-one in the neighbourhood cares about them and the insurance/Daddy will take care of the losses (which may or may not be true, that's the perception).

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except, if the neighbours house is 'gentrified' it will increase the value of their own shit hole and if they were semi-intelligent they would understand that divesting in their current shit hole and finding a new shit hole of equivalent quality but of less value they could potentially have a nest egg. Apparently, that much thinking things through, is asking too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Except, if the neighbours house is 'gentrified' it will increase the value of their own shit hole and if they were semi-intelligent they would understand that divesting in their current shit hole and finding a new shit hole of equivalent quality but of less value they could potentially have a nest egg. Apparently, that much thinking things through, is asking too much.

I’m not real sympathetic, but it’s probably important to realize that some of the opponents of gentrification don’t even have their own shit hole. They’re renting in someone else’s shit hole, and shopping in cheap shit hole stores, and making just enough money to do that working hard jobs. Their neighborhood is gentrified, they can’t afford to buy groceries anymore without driving out of town, they can’t afford to eat in the restaurants, and their rent starts to go up because their landlords want to push them out so they can renovate and charge more. There are plenty of people in these areas who don’t benefit from other people’s property values increasing.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Gentrification: Turning Hipsters Into Objects of Sympathy [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 years ago, this would have been a genuine problem. Now, there's google.... find a place that's affordable. Sorry if that happens to be a community of less than 2000. What's more important? City amenities or living comfortably?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
50 years ago, this would have been a genuine problem. Now, there's google.... find a place that's affordable. Sorry if that happens to be a community of less than 2000. What's more important? City amenities or living comfortably?

You think these people were living in their neighborhoods for “city amenities?”

I get it, this is how the world works. But in a lot of these areas, the people and business owners who were already there were just barely making ends meet. It’s not always as easy as just moving somewhere else.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the people I knew lived in the area for most, if not all of their lives; mostly all of them had strong neighbour and family links with an area; and didn't want to move out to somewhere and start fresh. From a rational economic point of view it makes sense to cash in, but they valued community over money. I'm sure that most homeowners did/do think it through (we used to get enough fliers through the door asking if we were selling), weighed up the pros and cons, and decided to stay.

Renters: area gets popular, starts to get gentrified, rents go up, original tennants can't afford the rent and have to move on.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply