Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: why do SF real estate prices bother right wingers so much? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Envy. I assume. But I’m not good at wordplay.
Quote Reply
Re: why do SF real estate prices bother right wingers so much? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:

R U 2 BZ 4 NV?
Quote Reply
Re: why do SF real estate prices bother right wingers so much? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Increased governmental regulation IS leftist policy.

Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. Is increased military spending "leftist"? How about tariffs? Greater restrictions on immigration? Marijuana policy? Your blanket statement renders the term "leftist" meaningless.

The funny part is that the evil liberal state is trying to wrest control at this moment from local communities, which is apparently a "leftist" move (although many of these communities skew right) , and those senators are overturning leftist restrictions by enabling development, but the sponsors of increased development are the most liberal members in Sacramento. It all becomes very confusing when you stick to a over-simplified mantra.

NIMBYism is just as prevalent in conservative enclaves (strange, because local control of policy is always SOOO much better ;). BTW, you are right about the partial role of environmentalists, they found common cause with wealthy moderates. Their zero growth efforts increased commutes, carbon emissions and inequality. A law of unintended consequences mirrored by anti-tax folks who think that cutting taxes will reduce government when they only expand deficits and creates a greater need for government financial intervention.
Quote Reply
Re: why do SF real estate prices bother right wingers so much? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Duh. Well, that's embarassing.
Quote Reply
Re: why do SF real estate prices bother right wingers so much? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have teenage daughters. I’m way past the point of feeling shame or embarrassment or stupid or...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was surprised that the Bay Area was less Bernie-centric than the rest of the country. But when I think about it awhile I suppose it makes sense. My question now is what do you call the subset of Bernie supporters that aren't classified as Berzerkley bat-shit crazy?

Well, it runs a gamut, but at the Palo Alto Bernie rally, you see a whole lot of millennials and a bunch of aging hippies. Throw in those damn educated "elites" of all ages. Mostly white, except for yours truly. Unfortunately, I didn't see any antifa (wow, big surprise). In short, what you find at any Bernie rally.

Quote:
Also, what started with N and ended with V?

Joke!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with this guy! 110% spot on!

JD21 wrote:
The only people NOT complaining about real estate prices in the Silicon Valley/SFO are property owners. And billionaires.
Quote Reply
Re: why do SF real estate prices bother right wingers so much? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bay Area is a perfect example of Supply and Demand. Not some leftist b$^$#@$ whatever you just typed.
My parents moved to Foster City (a new city, with new construction) right in the middle of the SF Peninsula in 1979 from Detroit Mi.
The first round of Silcon Valley housing increases started about this time.
House in Detroit sold for 36k / Foster City 130k purchase. 4 years later we moved to So Cal sold for about 200k . I was 13 so my numbers might be a bit off.Today
that townhouse in Foster City is worth about $1million. It is inbetween SF and Silicon Valley prime real estate for a tech employee who makes a lot of $.

In 1979 to 1983 there was still undeveloped land on the peninsula ( Redwood Shores area where Oracle is now) close to Palo Alto. There was an area called East Palo Alto that was pretty much a ghetto of public low income housing. San Jose was the boonies, and undeveloped. Today San Jose is central and expensive. East Palo Alto expensive and I am pretty sure not a ghetto any longer.

As business grew in the area, more people moved onto the peninsula. There is a limited amount of space and access to that peninsula with essentially 1 or 2 freeways the 101 and 280. If you make good money you want to be close to work. In this case Palo Alto Sunnyvale SF etc housing went up.

The demand is high because of limited access. The area is surrounded on 3 sides by water. with 4 bridges and 2 freeways.
SF is nice place to live. good weather, good paying jobs etc. Just like every city has a nice area (Expensive) SF is that nice area for the US.

Supply (Limited) and Demand (High)

Nothing more.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: why do SF real estate prices bother right wingers so much? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of East Palo Alto is still ghetto, but they have an IKEA, Home Depot, Target, Nordstrom Rack, PGA Golf super store, and a bunch of offices filled with lawyers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bunch of friends who live in Mill Valley and Menlo Park. Once just rented his house after 20 years there and moved, the others are ready to go anytime or when the kids are out of school. They are all real estate millionaires but the crowds are just getting unbearable. When I go up to visit it gets worse each time and it is noticeable.

It must be nice to be able to sell you place and be able to live just about anywhere you want to go outside of Beverly Hills and La Jolla.. (-;
Quote Reply

Prev Next