Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how.....
Quote | Reply
best analysis I have been able to find. I don't see how anybody can win. Read it over then discuss.

http://foreignpolicy.com/...-hurt-the-rust-belt/
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But we will show China WE'RE THE BOSS.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
China is reducing output. Chinas focus is belt and road.

China is an excuse but the impact will be negligible. They have determined that Africa / Asia and Europe are their focus.

That's why the head of state wants to stay to see it out.

Of course that does not mean they will not respond.

Trump is simply throwing a bone to his core.

I'd have said the impact will be more widespread. We used to use steel from overseas when I worked in manufacturing in OH and IL.

The risk is every one retaliates and so the US not only loses domestic jobs dependent on steel but then targeted tariffs on things like florida orange juice, Harleys, levis and other goods.

Either way this doesn't end well
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Mar 6, 18 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice analysis. The belt and road strategy put forth by China makes us look like idiots, again. I'm not foolish enough to think that China is altruistic but who is?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Belt and road is enormous. It's a trans continental geo political and trade infrastructure program that makes trumps talk of building bridges look like a corner shop

It will give them access to massive future developing countries markets and they are basically subsidising all infrastructure in hope of future market access.........meanwhile djt is discussing tariffs for a total domestic market thats half the level of just the increase in China's production last year..........

The company I am working for has been mandated by the government to double our size through compulsory purchases of other Chinese firms to consolidate the domestic market.

We currently have over 100 hospitals and have to double in 2 years

I am not sure the Chinese see their future financial or economical security in the US, but in regional influence.

This is just a bone to people who think China is the cause of all their woes. It's not. It was when people decided they valued cheap consumer goods from overseas over domestic products.......
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
This is just a bone to people who think China is the cause of all their woes. It's not. It was when people decided they valued cheap consumer goods from overseas over domestic products.......
Similar to the UAW workers driving Toyotas complaining when GM would shut down a factory in the US.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Similar to the UAW workers driving Toyotas complaining when GM would shut down a factory in the US.

Do many of them drive foreign cars ? It's been awhile since I have know anyone in a union like that but it used to be somewhat verboten to drive a foreign car.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Do many of them drive foreign cars ? It's been awhile since I have know anyone in a union like that but it used to be somewhat verboten to drive a foreign car.

Many years ago a friend of mine was an engineer at Chrysler. He drove a Datsun 280Z turbo. It didn't set very well with his bosses but at the time Chrysler offered nothing sporty in their line up.
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Nice analysis. The belt and road strategy put forth by China makes us look like idiots, again. I'm not foolish enough to think that China is altruistic but who is?

For me the bottom line is that for every steel worker there are sixty steel application workers. You don't need a PHD to imagine how some of those application workers will be affected if the cost of steel goes up. Trump obviously didn't think this out. He only needed to look at what happened when Dubya imposed tariffs.
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Some UAW factories have parking lots further from the entrance where you have to park if you're not driving the "correct" make of vehicle. It says something that some people still choose to drive the "wrong" vehicle even though they have to park out in the boonies.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and Subaru (it not many other foreign car manufacturers as well) having large U.S. operations, I wonder how much of that old "Buy American" mindset still exists with union workers and autos. We're a long way from the days when American cars were American made and foreign cars were foreign made, in a place now where a parts manufacturer could finish a Ford contract and turn around & start making parts for Toyota shortly thereafter.

Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work for a car company. Their prices are generally out of my range.

For years I drove a Honda Civic and once in a while I would be questioned on why I drove a Honda. Answer was always the same "I don't get paid enough to drive our cars".

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
With Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and Subaru (it not many other foreign car manufacturers as well) having large U.S. operations, I wonder how much of that old "Buy American" mindset still exists with union workers and autos. We're a long way from the days when American cars were American made and foreign cars were foreign made, in a place now where a parts manufacturer could finish a Ford contract and turn around & start making parts for Toyota shortly thereafter.

Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Yes, it's still HUGE. You don't drive a Chevy to a Ford plant. You drive a Toyota (especially a Toyota) to a Ford plant, there's a good chance your car is vandalized during your shift.

Doesn't matter that the Toyota is a Tacoma built in Texas with 80% North American parts, while my Ford was designed in Germany and is 50% English and only 20% North American, built in Mexico.

(My brother-in-law and his son work for Ford at plants)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cohn quits.
Quote Reply
Re: Steel tariffs will hurt the rust belt and here's how..... [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tundra's are the ones built in San Anton for Texans by Texans... stupid f'n stickers.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply