Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have you been to spectate Gent Wevelgem? I want to hear from you.
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Belgium the weekend of Gent Wevelgem and am hoping to get some first hand information about where to watch and how to get around race day. I'll have a car I can use. You can message me or reply here.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you been to spectate Gent Wevelgem? I want to hear from you. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes!
while it is possible to hang around for the start in Dienze, it may make more sense to set yourself up in Ieper (great significance of the race going thru the Menin Gate/WW1 Centenary). Especially if the weather is nasty.

Roadmap and timetables here.

If you want to spend money and have VIP access check out the promoters VIP packages.

Flanders Classics does a lot to reduce the amount of crazy driving around the countryside; this is better for everyone. But it's not too hard to skip down the road, but again parking is the hard part. Be prepared to walk, and wear boots. Lots of farmland...

Or the Kemmelberg, but much less parking up there, and no cafes. Usually beer and frites tents but no shelter.

The finish in Wevelgem is usually a bit of a street party - again everyone hangs out it the cafe then runs outside for the race passage.

have fun!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Have you been to spectate Gent Wevelgem? I want to hear from you. [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super helpful. Especially the reminder about boots. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Have you been to spectate Gent Wevelgem? I want to hear from you. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
other sights to see if you have time:
In Flanders Fields Museum/Menin Gate in Ieper
Wielermuseum Roeselare
Ronde van Vlaanderen Museum in Oudenaarde

https://cyclinginflanders.cc

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm originally from that area. I'd say going to see the start in Deinze is a good idea, it'll give you an opportunity to experience the pre-race atmosphere and excitement and see the riders getting introduced on the podium. Then drive to the area around the Kemmelberg and watch them go up twice. There will be entertainment there while you wait (incl beer). The problem with G-W is that after the hills it's a pretty long stretch till the finish which isn't that exciting. The best is if you can watch it around the Kemmelberg, and after they came through, go in one of the bars and watch the end of the stage with a few more beers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can ride gent-wevelgem yourself on the 24th! you can choose distances: 60 km, 91 km, 136 km or 215 km.

on the 25th Deinze is indeed the place to be in the morning, Kemmelberg in the afternoon; be aware of fixed speed checks in the region Ieper/Heuvelland,

I hear a lot the word "beer", so why don't you go to Westvleteren

http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

to drink a Westvleteren 12 (probably the best beer in the world.. :-) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All these events are awesome. I was there for a stretch where I saw Tour of Flanders, Gent Wevelgem, GP Piro Cerami and Paris Roubaix in one trip. If not connected, agree on these VIP packages
Last edited by: Herbert: Mar 6, 18 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Have you been to spectate Gent Wevelgem? I want to hear from you. [Ivanm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biertje biertje! usually on offer at the bier tents at the races is Jupiler (yuck) but the cafes' will have the local best.

please note that you can't just show up at the Sixtus Abbey to buy beer, you have to make reservations!
http://www.sintsixtus.be

There are soooo many beers to choose from, West Flanders breweries vs. East Flanders etc.

Go beyond beer, and try the Jenever.....will keep you warm on the side of the road.

Drink local, drink often!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Have you been to spectate Gent Wevelgem? I want to hear from you. [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the pointers. This is a quick trip so no sportif and likely little riding at all. But I now know the good spots and the good beers, so thanks!
Quote Reply