Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements
Quote | Reply
I've battled achilles issues forever. I'm getting PRP in a couple weeks and I hope to finally be returning to running after almost a year and a half away. My achilles issues are behind the ankle bone and up. I need a new running shoe that does not irritate the achilles.

I'm a neutral runner.

Requirements:

-Soft heel cup
-Thin heel collar
-Low heel collar in the back
-I don't do well with shoes that have an achilles dip in the back, they usually have a thick heel collar.
-Cushioning. I also have arthritic knees. Had stem cell treatment on right knee 3 weeks ago, getting it in left knee in a week.

I wore and loved the Hoka Clifton 2, but they irritate the achilles. I have 2 pair of Pearl Izumi shoes and they are perfect as far as not irritating the achilles, but lack cushioning and are also not made any more. The PI shoe below is what I need for the heel area.

So...if anyone has any suggestion please help...

Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can get insane rubbing in the heal area so I like the type that looks like that Izumi. Used to run in them when they first came out.

https://www.saucony.com/...o-womens&start=1

Saucony does well in the heel area for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the Adidas shoes are interesting in the heel cup. Some are sock like with more support on the sides of the heel. So I take that as trying to address precisely this sort or irritation. I don't know their range that well but maybe the Ultraboost is their max cushioned shoe.
Last edited by: OddSlug: Mar 4, 18 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Saucony Freedom ISO. almost no heel cup, very soft inside, very nice cushioning. My review is up here on ST. Take a look at it

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at those. But I couldn't tell if they really were running shoes or fashion shoes. I'll see if I can find them to try on.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skechers seems to be going to a knit heel cup on a bunch of their running shoes. Roadtrailrun did a pretty thorough review last month on the GoRun 6 that has it.

http://www.roadtrailrun.com/...-gorun-6-review.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My partner has a bony protrustion in her achilles that rubs against any shoe that's not soft enough at the heel. She swears by the Saucony Kinvara and Newton Kismet.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about offset/drop? That's usually a specific preference for people with Achilles problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t be so certain more cushion is the answer. High cushion shoes do not lessen the force at the knee, have you taken some time to build mileage?
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t run in 18 months. I will bills up slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not picky. I can run in anything as long as it doesn’t rub my Achilles and has cushioning.

I’ll add that it wasn’t running that hurt the Achilles. I hadn’t run for about 3 months due to knees when I started hurting on a bike ride because I’d hit a bump and my seat dropped a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka, and slice the back of the shoes about 1/2 inch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running shoes for real only also available in some fasion colours.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adambeston wrote:
I can get insane rubbing in the heal area so I like the type that looks like that Izumi. Used to run in them when they first came out.

https://www.saucony.com/...o-womens&start=1

Saucony does well in the heel area for me.

Interestingly I had a pair of Saucony Hurricanes with similar low and soft heel cup that irritated my Achilles so badly I couldn't run in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [arndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about that. I'll give it a try. I have one pair of Clifton 2 I bought on clearance. If it works I can run in the shoes, if it doesn't, well, I couldn't run in them anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adidas Supernova

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see this quite a bit and usually a 4mm heel lift/cup e.g. Sorbothane will do the trick, if indeed it is mechanical rubbing causing the problem;) The cup will also reduce some strain on the tendon as well. Suffice to say, shoe choice will be highly subjective on heel counter fit and I recommend going to closest run store and having a field day. If you have a pump bump (Haglunds) than often a modification can help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hola!

Alright, so you've got some pretty specific requirements here. I think you've gotten some pretty decent suggestions here thus far, but we need to play around with the models a little bit.

• Saucony Kinvara - this is really the closest thing IMO to your old PI shoe, but with a bit more cushioning. I want to also retain the width under the midfoot in order stabilize the platform.
  • Asics DynaFlyte 2 - new shoe to the line-up. I'm really intrigued by this one, but I'm not entirely sold on the heel cup being quite right.
  • Hoka Cavu - looks like a completely different tooling in the heel cup as compared to the Clifton. Firmer than the Cliftons, but should give you a decent amount of cushioning here.

This might be a little much, but do you have a cobbler that you might be able to work with nearby? We may be doing some shoe surgery in order to get the right mix of things together here.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had achilles surgery to remove bone spurs on the heel... my zone is the heel and up. I've found that the Saucony Men's Ride 9 has been a nice show for me ....
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [arndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arndog wrote:
Hoka, and slice the back of the shoes about 1/2 inch.

this. I've been cutting my shoes to fit since the 80s.. usually one or two mods, depending,
- slice open the toe box to get more room,
- and will cut off those silly achilles tabs if the shoe has them.
Touch up the ends of any cut seams with nail varnish or superglue.
I haven't had any problems with unraveling or similar yet, in those 30+ years..
Quote Reply
Re: Need help finding a new running shoe...I have very specific requirements [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way shoes are made nowadays (or the type of material they use), fraying is a non issue. Had I not been able to cut open the toe box of the Clifton 3s, they would have been binned after 100Km or limited to sub 5K runs. No cons to open a toe box whatsoever.
Quote Reply