50 kick
100 free
50 kick
100 breast
25 kick
3 x [25 fly + 25 back or kick]
50 free c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm "only" at 259k for the year, but March was my longest month yet.

As for the snorkel, I think you'll get lots out of using it. Not only will you practice symmetry in your stroke, but you'll also be able to concentrate on a steady head position, both laterally and up and down.

I breathe whenever I need it, which is dependent on my speed. Last night, in my long course workout, I tried to breathe bilaterally, usually three or four breaths on one side, then three or four on the other. I'm trying to get a bit more balance. In a short yards pool, I try to do two right side breaths off the wall, then three left, then one right and turn. But I grew up breathing almost exclusively to the right, so when I go fast, I breathe almost always to the right, which feels most natural. In Open Water, I try to go three or more strokes to one side, then switch, but sight off my right side breaths. If it's a race, I end up breathing mostly right. In one race a few years ago, I positioned a swimmer to my right, so I could just breathe naturally without having to sight, and let her navigate.

It's a good trick to learn to try to trail someone's feet, so you can follow their bubbles and not have to sight as often, or to position a swimmer to your dominant breathing side so you can just watch them when you turn your head to breathe instead of needing to sight. Of course, this works only if that swimmer is a good navigator.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish and Aquatic Mammal Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I will look into getting the snorkel. What brand/model do you suggest. I do have to work on my freestyle symmetry and take breathing out of the loop as a limiter.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had three snorkels over the last 10+ years, starting with the original Finis swimmer's snorkel. Then I moved to the Finis Freestyler, which is angled to more specifically target freestyle. Now, I use a Tyr snorkel. All are great. My only complaint is that the Finis bite tabs break off. Maybe I just shouldn't bite down so hard.

I'd probably suggest a snorkel that has a purge valve. This makes it easier for you to clear the water so you don't inhale it. This will be easier on you as you learn how to use it. The Freestyler doesn't have a purge valve.

Don't try to do flip turns early on until you get the hang of it. You'll also want to start off swimming slowly, and probably without much of an underwater streamline initially.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I've had three snorkels over the last 10+ years, starting with the original Finis swimmer's snorkel. Then I moved to the Finis Freestyler, which is angled to more specifically target freestyle. Now, I use a Tyr snorkel. All are great. My only complaint is that the Finis bite tabs break off. Maybe I just shouldn't bite down so hard.

I'd probably suggest a snorkel that has a purge valve. This makes it easier for you to clear the water so you don't inhale it. This will be easier on you as you learn how to use it. The Freestyler doesn't have a purge valve.

Don't try to do flip turns early on until you get the hang of it. You'll also want to start off swimming slowly, and probably without much of an underwater streamline initially.

For underwater phase (wall push off). Do you just hold your breath while the snorkel spout is under water and then breath any water stuck in it "out" as soon as the spout is back above water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to break it down and see what I do pushing off the wall. It's one of those things that is totally second nature by now. But, I think the process is something like this:

Submerge, knowing that the water will fill the tube. Push off. Blow with a bit of pressure to be sure the water doesn't food into your mouth. As you reach the surface, blow out hard, and the rest of the water will go out the top and through the purge valve.

The thing that is probably the most difficult is that this differs from snorkeling in that the swim goggles you'll be wearing won't pinch off your nose as diving masks will. If you aren't comfortable keeping water out of your nose and mouth simultaneously, you should try some nose plugs. In fact, do try with nose plugs.

One factor in using the snorkel is whether you exchange air only through the snorkel. That is, you inhale and exhale only through the tube. Physiologically, this increases the length of your trachea, meaning you'll have to work harder to inhale. Also, you won't be able to exhale the volume completely out of the tube, so you'll be recycling a bit of air every time. You can bypass this part by exhaling through your nose, so that all the air in the tube is fresh, though it's still harder to draw in. Some coaches don't want any nose exhalations, but if you are just using the snorkel to steady your head, it doesn't really matter.

Some people restrict the opening of the tube by putting some duct tape over it. Or, if you're like me, you move to Colorado, and that works the same way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I'll have to break it down and see what I do pushing off the wall. It's one of those things that is totally second nature by now. But, I think the process is something like this:

Submerge, knowing that the water will fill the tube. Push off. Blow with a bit of pressure to be sure the water doesn't food into your mouth. As you reach the surface, blow out hard, and the rest of the water will go out the top and through the purge valve.

The thing that is probably the most difficult is that this differs from snorkeling in that the swim goggles you'll be wearing won't pinch off your nose as diving masks will. If you aren't comfortable keeping water out of your nose and mouth simultaneously, you should try some nose plugs. In fact, do try with nose plugs.

One factor in using the snorkel is whether you exchange air only through the snorkel. That is, you inhale and exhale only through the tube. Physiologically, this increases the length of your trachea, meaning you'll have to work harder to inhale. Also, you won't be able to exhale the volume completely out of the tube, so you'll be recycling a bit of air every time. You can bypass this part by exhaling through your nose, so that all the air in the tube is fresh, though it's still harder to draw in. Some coaches don't want any nose exhalations, but if you are just using the snorkel to steady your head, it doesn't really matter.

Some people restrict the opening of the tube by putting some duct tape over it. Or, if you're like me, you move to Colorado, and that works the same way.

I suppose I could have done IM Tahoe with a duct tape around an illegal snorkel LOL....I did not feel any need for duct tape on that swim!
Quote Reply

Prev Next