Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barefoot or Socks for Sprint Tri??
Quote | Reply
I hear the rule of thumb for socks on the bike is YES for Sprint, NO for Ol;ympic+. I've tried it once in a Sprint and it worked fine but my Sprint on Saturday tackles 2 huge hills so I'm afraid blistering could be a factor though I haven't had one for years. I'll be using talc. I always wear socks for the run but it seems impossible to get my feet dried quickly in T1, by T2 it is not an issue and getting the cycling shoes off is easier without socks.

Other experiences? Insights? TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot or Socks for Sprint Tri?? [lombardi3g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on your shoes. With my Sidi T3's and Sidi Terra's I never have to wear socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go sockless for sprint, Olympic, and half iron. One of my main shoe criteria is how comfortable they are without socks. I use gold bond powder in my shoes, helps keep them smelling nice, and pre-apply bodyglide in any potential hot spots. I don't bother drying my feet either, just strip my wetsuit, helmet on, grab my bike and run. Part of this advice is for running shoes I realized, didn't see until later that you run in socks.
Last edited by: imswimmer328: Mar 3, 18 21:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Socks for 70.3. No socks for sprint/oly.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot or Socks for Sprint Tri?? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never worn socks for a 70.3 or less.

I took the few seconds in an IM though for the run, see how training goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot or Socks for Sprint Tri?? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:
I've never worn socks for a 70.3 or less.

I took the few seconds in an IM though for the run, see how training goes.

Same. I suppose it depends on the person, shoes and if they're prone to blisters. I was a bit reticent about going sockless for a 70.3, you don't want to find out halfway round the run course that you should have worn, socks, but they were fine in multiple ODs so.. Probably wear socks for an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot or Socks for Sprint Tri?? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2.

Having said that you can probably get the right pair of socks on in about 10 seconds in T1 and if you feet aren’t conditioned or shoes aren’t right for barefoot running (and to a lesser extent, biking), you will lose more than that in the pain of cuts or blisters etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends on your shoes and feel. Everyone’s feet are different and all shoes made different so it’s more of a personal preference. When I started doing triathlons I took the time to dry my feet and put on socks. I was averaging about 2:00-2:30 in T1. After realizing how much time you can save I just step in my towel for a quick dry and run to the bike mount line. My T1 is now around 35-45 seconds. If you’re not worried about time and winning and it’s more comfortable, take the extra minute. It’s better than having blisters for a few weeks after the race.
On a side note. I did my first 70.3 last year and although my bike was fine with no socks, at about the 15 km mark on the run I started to feel the blisters. Between sweat, running through puddles, dumping water on my head and the mist of Niagara Falls, my feet were drenched. I will probably wear socks from now on for anything more than an Olympic.
Quote Reply