Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building my first Di2 bike and have dumb questions
Quote | Reply
Ok try not to rip me apart if these are really stupid. I'll start with do I need to have access to my A junction box during a ride for any reason? I'm building this bike as clean as possible and I have a place to hide it but won't have easy access while riding/ racing. I have another option but would require drilling a hole in seat post to put box under the seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Building my first Di2 bike and have dumb questions [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I highly doubt it. I can't ever remember a time when I needed to calibrate mid-ride. I have mine hidden in the frame of my Shiv.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Building my first Di2 bike and have dumb questions [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No you don’t - mine requires removing the rear wheel for (P5)

With the latest versions you can change modes in syncroshift and check battery level with a garmin so just need access to charge.
Quote Reply
Re: Building my first Di2 bike and have dumb questions [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally, no. The only reasons to use the Junction A would be to change shift modes and to trim your derailleurs. You will likely trim the derailleurs a few times after you get the install done, but then it should be good. And, you could have two shift programs-- one optimized for flatter courses and one optimized for hillier courses. But, you could do that change before the race.

Here is my recent install that has an example of mounting the bar version of the Junction A in an extension. A few folks on the forum have gone this route. It is the best of all worlds-- totally hidden installation (only 1 visible wire) and easy Junction A access.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...(Felt_IA16)_P6572184
Quote Reply
Re: Building my first Di2 bike and have dumb questions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Yes I have read your right up on your felt build pretty extensively. The bike I am building is a felt da so my next question is not so much if something will work but why it works. I'm going to be using 2 Jc-41 junction boxes 1 in side each extension. I will then run etube from all the shifters i e the brakes shifters and extension shifters into these JC 41 boxes then connecting them so that I only have one Etube leaving the extensions and going into the frame.

So stupid question number two would be how in the hell does this actually work. I mean you essentially have 4 shifters all being dumped into one wire how in the hell does it know what shifters doing what. Like I said before this is my first electronic build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
So stupid question number two would be how in the hell does this actually work. I mean you essentially have 4 shifters all being dumped into one wire how in the hell does it know what shifters doing what. Like I said before this is my first electronic build.
I could burn a lot of bytes talking about how CAN Bus works. It is freakin' brilliant. The short answer is that every device is individually addressable, and each communicates on the CAN Bus to the battery, which is the master bus and function controller. So, when you bring it up and connect to the E-TUBE Project SW, it will poll the system to find every component. Then, you can go into each one and individually define what each button does-- the nut is that you have absolute control over every button in the system, and you can pretty much add as many buttons (devices with buttons) as you want to.
Quote Reply
Re: Building my first Di2 bike and have dumb questions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. So I'll just stop worrying and no it's gonna work.:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as i understand, each shifter has its own function whereby the junction is merely a junction. etube recognizes each shifter individually. Give it a try

the setup made by exxxvii is really neat :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It works because of the canbus protocol it uses. Each element of the system has it's own identifier an the data stream it sends identifies which part is sending the signal and which part is intended for, as well as what is supposed to do.

On your previous post you mention using three JC-41 junctions, that means the rear junction will be taken up by the battery, the RD, the FD and the wire coming from the aerobar, where are you planning on hiding the a junction? if it is in the frame you will need to run two wires from the aerobar or use a fourth JC-41, or there is a 6 port b junction you could use instead.
Last edited by: Art M.: Mar 4, 18 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Building my first Di2 bike and have dumb questions [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok,My A junction is a 5 port that I was going to hide with the battery under the cover provided by felt (under the BB).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That will eliminate the need for the third JC-41.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So a jc41 in each extension and a 5 port? And I'm good?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your proposal yes.
How are you planning on interconnecting the two junctions in the aerobar? are you drilling the extensions or routing the wires out the back?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out the back down the risers and through the stem that felt already provides a hole for in the fixed zero rise 110 stem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So next question.
With this setup that I'm describing, would I have one wire running down my down tube to my Junction A box, which is a 5-port, then from that box I would have a wire going to my battery and one to my rear derailleur and one to my front derailleur? is that everything or am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, I would draw the whole thing out on a legal pad or something and label the wires & junctions. There are so many parts involved and you need to count and then double-count all of ports you will need at each junction. For example, in my case, I forgot that I needed the extra wire for the other end of the D-Fly thingy. Fortunately, I did remember at the last minute. My hunch is you will have like 22 or 23 parts on the bike, which increases your risk of forgetting a wire or miscounting ports you will need at a junction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmed u
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No you are not missing anything, just consider you will have two wires coming out of one extension and three out of the other one if you hide the jc41s in them.
Last edited by: Art M.: Mar 5, 18 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply