Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
OK, so your data is confidential, can you at least say anything about your test protocols and how that data was derived?

Like most of the "free" info out there you probably need to correlate from various sources. Lots of pictures of Grill working with Aero Coach (Xav Disley) doing track testing. My guess is Geill's protocol is Disley's protocol. Disley works with LottoNL and a ton of the fast UK TT crowd. Some Facebook and Legends of TT pictures with Xav and some of his riders are using the Pro front wheel. The LottoNL Bianchi TT is a wide fork bike. Now if you see them riding a Aox 100 later this year, then sell your Pro TriSpoke.

I raced my 3+ For the first time on my "new to me" SC 7 Pretty darn windy, but I had no problems. I would guess it is much more stable than the old H3.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks you all for the answers. Now i have about $2000 budget on wheel set. So, now i'm debating between these two:
Used Zipp 808 firecrest front wheel (~eBay 600)+used ZIpp super 9 clincher (~1300 eBay)
OR
New HED Jet + disc ($1050) + new HED jet 9 + front ($750)
I read some folks were talking that zipps are better regarding power transferring, does any one have experience in both?
Last edited by: Ksavostin: Mar 3, 18 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
OK, so your data is confidential, can you at least say anything about your test protocols and how that data was derived?

Like most of the "free" info out there you probably need to correlate from various sources. Lots of pictures of Grill working with Aero Coach (Xav Disley) doing track testing. My guess is Geill's protocol is Disley's protocol. Disley works with LottoNL and a ton of the fast UK TT crowd. Some Facebook and Legends of TT pictures with Xav and some of his riders are using the Pro front wheel. The LottoNL Bianchi TT is a wide fork bike. Now if you see them riding a Aox 100 later this year, then sell your Pro TriSpoke.
Yeah I trust that Grill has some pretty good data backing up his claims. He obviously tests more than most (with Xav) and posts often here and elsewhere. His claims are also pretty consistent with my own testing where I've tested the same stuff.

On the trispokes: my experience is that they can be very fast in no wind, but if it's windy they don't test as fast as the deep fronts, so that could enter the equation depending on where you race. I've never actually tested the Pro trispoke though, so this is based on the HED's (H3 and H3+). The Pro trispokes are very pricey -- disqualifying for me anyway. They are surprisingly light weight, so in a hilly race that's a plus. And, of course, there's also the issue that a few of them exploded at Tirreno-Adriatico last year, supposedly because Sky underinflated the tires, but who knows?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Thanks you all for the answers. Now i have about $2000 budget on wheel set. So, now i'm debating between these two:
Used Zipp 808 firecrest front wheel (~eBay 600)+used ZIpp super 9 clincher (~1300 eBay)
OR
I read some folks were talking that zipps are better regarding power transferring, does any one have experience in both?
The recent tests by Xav, which I basically trust, especially because he released similar data long before he was in the wheel business, had the Zipps as much slower than the HEDs with Vittoria CS tires. If you care about being fast you'll be using those tires, so I think that makes it an easy call.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
OR

I had some Firecrests. The internal width was only about 17mm if I remember correctly, so they will be sub-optimal for a wider tire. I also found it really annoying to swap pads between aluminum training wheels and the carbon Zipps. I sold my FCs and bought a set of Jet+ wheels. With the premium price of the Zipps it was pretty much just trading used Zipps for new HEDs and I am very happy with the switch.

One of the nice things about the Jet+ 6 and 9 is that they seem to be pretty insensitive to tire choice. They will be fast with just about any tire. I think Jim Manton said something along the lines "Just by the Jet+ and be happy that it is at least the second fastest wheel you could buy". I take this to mean that maybe you could find a better tire/wheel/frame choice. It may be the Jet+ or it may be another wheel, but the Jet+ is going to be really close no matter what.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
OR

The 808 FC is fine, but it's not the best choice (it's one of those that of you already own one and are on a budget, there are other things you should upgrade before it). Power transfer talk is mostly just that, talk. Typically people translate stiffer wheels as having better 'power transfer', but even if it were a thing TT/tri doesn't have loads of hard accelerations.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with the Hed disc/9 combo. Rides great, very servicable [not that you'll have to] and also very fast. Not that it matters but this is what I run and really love it.

You don't get the Zipp 'whoop-whoop' though which is not nearly as intimidating to others. No pink font here. I think people expect this when they see you hauling the mail with a disc and they look VERY unimpressed when you go by and barely make a sound. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to bump this thread because I'm finalizing my wheel selection for my new speed concept. I purchased a set of the Bontrager Wheels mainly for the purpose of having the 7 front. It was a 7-9 set and I intend to buy a disc as well.
So my question is if so many guys are going with the HED jet disc on the speed concept why not go with something like an older lenticular shaped Zipp sub nine?
Wouldn't the sub nine be much closer to the HED jet then a super nine?

Any thoughts
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sub 9 is (or was since they don’t make it anymore) only available as a tubular and most people prefer clinchers for multiple reasons

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I no I would have to mix and match
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The speed concept shields the back wheel quite well. The flatter the disc the better it seems from the data I've seen on other bikes that do a good job shielding the back wheel.

For the front a lot of wheels are similar. My guess is you're looking at about 200m max difference over 90k between most front wheels. Tire/tube selection is probably as if not more important.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The speed concept shields the back wheel quite well. The flatter the disc the better it seems from the data I've seen on other bikes that do a good job shielding the back wheel.

For the front a lot of wheels are similar. My guess is you're looking at about 200m max difference over 90k between most front wheels. Tire/tube selection is probably as if not more important.[/quo

So Trek team guys Running the Jet just because sponsorship?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It raises the question as to why someone would go with a Sub 9 over a HED Jet. The jet is a clincher (faster tires, easier to live with), has better braking, is 1mm wider at the brake track, and has (I believe) a 3 mm wider internal width. The one benefit Zipp has is weight. The Sub 9 is 212 grams lighter.

As for the Sub 9 vs Super 9, multiple people on here have commented on the former being faster.

Here’s a thread to read through:
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6461198#p6461195

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know on my Scott Plasma 3 the difference between a flat disc and a bulged disc is 3w @ -7.5 yaw coming from a rather reliable source. I can live with that.
If you're getting free wheels and/or some cash to ride certain wheels could you live with that? I could

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the options you mention are popular on the UK TT scene among those that aerotest.

Simon Smart obviously worked on the Enve so the 7 upfront and a disc is a popular option particularly for those that can afford them.

The Hed Jet+ 6 or 9 with a plus disc have become particularly popular for those running Corsa Speeds tubeless. I expect Aerocoach wheels to grow in popularity. I have the disc which was great value though I am not keen on the way the cover start warping as you get above 60psi when pumping the tyres up. I believe they may be working on a Tri spoke which could be interesting.

Zipp are still popular, but much less than they use to be. I think they became too expansive for many but lacked the

I would like to know how the 2spoke and the Newer revised Swiss Side hadrons compare.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheel set for Speed Concept. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like some of these wheel choices are hard, since it would really depend on wind direction and yaw angles on race day right? We also seem to be talking 2-4w btw all the top end wheels but that would depend on yaw angles correct?

My concussion has been at this point with a rear disc goes with what makes you happy and you mentally feel the best about unless your going to test multiple yaw angles on different discs and make decisions on race day.

My current set up: Zipp Super 9 / Zipp 858: Mentally I feel great riding this set up on my Trek.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply

Prev Next