Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see the interview Wilbur Ross gave yesterday explaining how the new tariffs were no big deal?

Here's a report about it, but if you can watch it, all the better. It's comedy gold.

http://www.businessinsider.com/...teel-aluminum-2018-3

Apart from being barely alive, the man is evidently a complete moron. The best people...

Essentially he is saying that the tariffs are harmless, because they will only raise the cost of a soda by a couple of cents.

As the linked article explains, the impact on consumers will be far greater, with an estimated increase of $175 per car, as well as the spill over effects on so many other industries. Then the Fed may have to raise rates more to contain any inflationary impacts. And that's to say nothing about retaliation from other countries.

Just 3% of US steel goes into the defense industry. Strategic threat? Hmmm.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Did you see the interview Wilbur Ross gave yesterday explaining how the new tariffs were no big deal?

Here's a report about it, but if you can watch it, all the better. It's comedy gold.

Apart from being barely alive, the man is evidently a complete moron. The best people...

Essentially he is saying that the tariffs are harmless, because they will only raise the cost of a soda by a couple of cents.

As the linked article explains, the impact on consumers will be far greater, with an estimated increase of $175 per car, as well as the spill over effects on so many other industries. Then the Fed may have to raise rates more to contain any inflationary impacts. And that's to say nothing about retaliation from other countries.

yup. saw that. a real card, that wilbur.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

the US Commerce Secretary. crafting policy that can affect the whole of the world's economy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

the US Commerce Secretary. crafting policy that can affect the whole of the world's economy.

and this is different than the EPA administrator, education secty, HUD secty, and so on?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

and this is different than the EPA administrator, education secty, HUD secty, and so on?

http://abcnews.go.com/...ple-cabinet-50183308
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My father lost the family steel business in the 1990's and basically wiped us out. Too little, too late for me, but maybe others still in the Rust Belt can recover. If the tariffs are actually put in place, it least it gives me ONE talking point in favor of the President.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
My father lost the family steel business in the 1990's and basically wiped us out. Too little, too late for me, but maybe others still in the Rust Belt can recover. If the tariffs are actually put in place, it least it gives me ONE talking point in favor of the President.

I'm sorry to hear about your family business. Hopefully, though, you can understand that imposing tariffs on steel imports may not be good policy for the country as a whole. The benefits to one industry are likely to be outweighed by the detriments to many others. On a net basis, history suggests this is likely to hurt US GDP growth and cost US jobs. So unfortunately while you may see it as a talking point in favor of the president, I can't agree. Nor can many members of the president's own party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wilbur Ross trying to defend but failing on MTP now. At least he did not fall asleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This opinion piece expands on the risks I talked about earlier of invoking national security as the rationale for tariffs. It also discusses how bad these tariffs could get for the US economy and labor market.

https://edition.cnn.com/...n-opinion/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Wilbur Ross trying to defend but failing on MTP now. At least he did not fall asleep.

Peter Navarro was on Fox with Chris Wallace this weekend, and did pretty poorly as well. Wallace was trying to hold his feet to the fire to get some straight answers and Navarro was very much not pleased.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta hand it to Wallace he does try a bit to be objective...they bitch at obama lying about doctor, but 50% of what trump states is bs. Hope stormy (2x) sticks it to him biggly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just heard on the radio that Trump has hinted that Canada and Mexico are going to get a temporary exemption from the tariffs, with the temporary measure being added in as a bargaining chip for NAFTA negotiations. Not sure how that affects the argument for the tariffs as a national security measure.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These tariffs aren't going to happen. He's full of hot air.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
He's full of hot air.

You just found out that water is wet, too?? ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No but everyone is talking like this is going to happen. Remember when Trump said he was going to slap a 35% tariff on foreign cars?

Oh, just noticed that he's now threatening a 25% tariff on European cars.

Won't happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just heard on the radio that Trump has hinted that Canada and Mexico are going to get a temporary exemption from the tariffs, with the temporary measure being added in as a bargaining chip for NAFTA negotiations. Not sure how that affects the argument for the tariffs as a national security measure.

I think Trump actually believes that when he makes outrageous threats and then backs down, that he is using some great negotiating tactic, as if no one on earth can figure it out.

He comes across looking ill informed and way out of his league but he doesn't seem to grasp that. The world has caught on that you can't take Trump seriously.

Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

He comes across looking ill informed and way out of his league but he doesn't seem to grasp that. The world has caught on that you can't take Trump seriously.

Has it though? Because every time he spews nonsense like this the world freaks out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I think Trump actually believes that when he makes outrageous threats and then backs down, that he is using some great negotiating tactic, as if no one on earth can figure it out.

Yes, I'm sure negotiations will go great with people who dislike you and don't trust you. Good luck with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
My father lost the family steel business in the 1990's and basically wiped us out. Too little, too late for me, but maybe others still in the Rust Belt can recover. If the tariffs are actually put in place, it least it gives me ONE talking point in favor of the President.[/quote

The problem is that for every steel worker there are sixty steel application/handler type workers. They will be effected bigley if Trump was to impose the tariffs not to mention retaliation creating a trade war. You've just got to look at recent past history when Dubya imposed tariffs and this is exactly what happened. The steel industry itself even suffered as there were less buyers due to increased cost. I posted an url about this in another thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's steel tariffs are appropriate [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes, I'm sure negotiations will go great with people who dislike you and don't trust you. Good luck with that.

Not sure who you are referring to in terms of disliking and not trusting. Canada and Mexico are negotiating NAFTA with the U.S., and making threats of a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum was a typical threat by Trump and all it did was create a retaliatory tariff that Canada and Mexico could place on the U.S goods. Now Trump has backed down, as he typically does and what was accomplished?

The only result is people don't take Trump seriously. He is full of bluster and the real negotiators can proceed without his nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The only result is people don't take Trump seriously.

I think the real problem is that other countries, and even our own folks, don't know if they should take him seriously from moment to moment. That's why they have to come forward and threaten retaliatory measures. If they didn't take him seriously, or didn't worry about maybe having to take him seriously, they'd all just ignore him.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next