Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
When swimming was my profession this was never the case - Lap = 2 x length. Yet mostly 50/100 or 25/50 respectively.

Out of curiosity where are you from ?

I have once or twice heard someone with a background in swimming say a lap = 2 x length. I can't remember where they were from but I want to say one was west coast (US) and other was European.

I agree with this. I'm from Canada though - so can you really trust me??

I don't see why not. Although maybe it depends on East or West coast ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
When swimming was my profession this was never the case - Lap = 2 x length. Yet mostly 50/100 or 25/50 respectively.

I have once or twice heard someone with a background in swimming say a lap = 2 x length. I can't remember where they were from but I want to say one was west coast (US) and other was European.

I agree with this. I'm from Canada though - so can you really trust me??

I don't see why not. Although maybe it depends on East or West coast ?

QFT. Those west coast potheads are really shifty. I wouldn't trust 'em. When I say "west coast", that's everything west of New Brunswick.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We count lengths for the distance swims (let's start a new argument about counting up or down). There is the bell lap for the last 50 (scy or scm) or last 100 (lcm).

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
QFT. Those west coast potheads are really shifty. I wouldn't trust 'em. When I say "west coast", that's everything west of New Brunswick.

I hear ya but why are we talking about New Jersey now ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OR just be done with the whole thing and swim by time instead, just like you'd do on the bike. Today I swam 3 sets of 20 minutes each, looking at my watch on occasion during a flip turn. When I had about a few minutes left, I picked up the pace to finish with some burn. About a minute's rest between sets.

If you want to increase your FTP on the bike, you do sets by effort and time, not by distance. Just do the same thing in the pool. Yeah, you have to round up or down 30 seconds or so if you want to end at the wall, but it's no big deal. And there's no law that says you can't change pace mid-length anyway.

It makes swim workouts far more easy to remember, simple, and fun.

Sample workout -

10 minutes easy warmup.
No rest, switch into 4 sets of 10 minutes moderate, last two minutes of each set hard, 30 seconds rest between each.
5 minutes easy cooldown.

That gives you a warmup and cooldown, 40 minutes of moderate, 8 minutes of hard.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

I’m a Brit, did my collegiate swimming in US and international career all over the place - always seemed to be the same. Seems like only time the work “length” would come up would be “do a length easy”, during sets it would be 20 x 25/50.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a fan of your podcast. Keep up the good work. But on this - swim 3 x 20 min - just no
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I am a fan of your podcast. Keep up the good work. But on this - swim 3 x 20 min - just no

Lol. What's funny is how people expect to reliably pace themselves for 2.4 miles when they never swim more than a few hundred yards at a time. After I switched to longer sets by time and effort, Ironman swims became a walk in the park and much more enjoyable. But yes, throwing out the old mindset was definitely difficult at first. I don't disagree with you there. :)

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes swim workouts far more easy to remember, simple, and fun. //

Uh, No, No, and hell no!!! Of course if you are coaching AOS types and can fool them into thinking this is a good idea, more power to you. Never work in a million years with real, or ex real swimmers...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of depending on what you are working on. For example, I might be told to do 10x100im @1:20 (25y pool), in my head there is no distance calculation at all. I am just doing 4 lengths of the pool changing strokes on each turn, and try to finish in less than 80 seconds. But if I am doing some endurance work, I might use distance (or time), and in that instance I would just count laps (2xlength) with each lap being 50y at my pool during the short-course season and 100m during the long-course season.
Quote Reply
Re: Beat a dead horse: the ongoing "lap-length" debate... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Works on me and I am a real and ex swimmer. Swim team since age 9. 2x swim team captain, State champion freestyler in the 50 and 100.

For long distance open water swims, training like you're going to be in a swim meet isn't as amazing as you wish it is. But you go, girl.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, slow your roll. If you have all this talent you should be a shit ton faster than 60+ minute IM swims. And don’t give me this shit that it was decades ago. We are about the same age and I was never a state champ, yet I have no problem at all breaking an hour.
Quote Reply

Prev Next