Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why can’t Flo60 be used on gravel roads?
Quote | Reply
It’s an aluminum rim with carbon faring. So why no Gravel? Low spoke count? Just liability waiver?

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
It’s an aluminum rim with carbon faring. So why no Gravel? Low spoke count? Just liability waiver?

A reason you shouldn't use it on gravel roads is that the fairing is not sealed at the spoke holes.
It will collect dust, mud, tiny rocks, etc.
The carbon fairing might get damaged, but it would have to take a pretty good hit.
Also, I'd imagine the fairings provide more surface area for mud to stick... adding to the rotational weight.

Although I think the FLO guys have said the FLO 30's are not built for gravel, I have used them without issue... so I image the 60's would hold up just as well.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Mar 1, 18 14:50
Quote Reply
Re: Why can’t Flo60 be used on gravel roads? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:

There are a few reasons.

1. The wheel wasn't designed/built for that type of use. We are working on a full gravel line right now. I'd say within the next year or so all of our wheels will be capable of being used on the road and on gravel.

2. The openings in the fairing would collect a lot of dirt and debris which would make an absolute mess of the wheel.

I hope that makes sense.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Why can’t Flo60 be used on gravel roads? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zip 404 or maybe it was Reynolds can recall, is very close to same structure yet they have no issues on Gravel. That’s why I asked.

You guys are super late to the party on this (and disc brakes).

I’m in no rush this season so I’ll be watching and waiting.

Quote | Reply
Neither Zipp nor Reynolds have a structure that is similar to Flo hybrid carbon/aluminum rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can’t Flo60 be used on gravel roads? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand is it that had carbon over aluminum. I saw a few of them at Gravel race. Just can’t remember. I know Reynolds and Zipps were there. Also saw Flo60 which prompted my inquiry.

Quote | Reply
But I need new gravel wheels now and I love my Flo wheels!!!

Hurry up guys... pretty please!
Last edited by: Toefuzz: Mar 3, 18 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
What brand is it that had carbon over aluminum. I saw a few of them at Gravel race. Just can’t remember. I know Reynolds and Zipps were there. Also saw Flo60 which prompted my inquiry.

lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I wouldn't use them on a pure "gravel bike", anywhere you want to go on a road bike should be ZERO issue for the Flo wheels. They are a pretty durable wheelset and I had zero issues with the fairing. I think I got a little rock on their once, but I just rode it until it was time for new tires and then shook it out of the valve hole (and it made less noise than when I dropped a valve extender in there).

Yes they are road bike wheels, but they aren't particularly fragile.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can’t Flo60 be used on gravel roads? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
But I need new gravel wheels now and I love my Flo wheels!!!

Hurry up guys... pretty please!

I promise that we are moving as quickly as we can. Development just takes a lot of time.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can’t Flo60 be used on gravel roads? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Chris. I’m just messing with you. You guys put out a great product and your service is second to none. Let me know if you need a fat, I mean Clydesdale, betatester! Signed up for the inaugural Michigan Coast 2 Coast, Barry Roubaix, and a bunch of awesome gravel races. I’ll be first in line when you do come out with ‘em!
Last edited by: Toefuzz: Mar 4, 18 13:23
Quote Reply