Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why would I not wear a sleeved suit in a sprint? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok the overlap our designer put on the backpocket do work. in the sense that they plus a snug fit prevent water to infiltrate the pockets. and also, the fabric is very water repellent.
so we think the Spider LD Aero is very fast in the water. we had several athletes testing it in the pool before kona and they didnt hesitate and skipped the skin for the swim.

so my take in a sprint, you will save time by foregoing the skin: i know it's a case by case basis but i will be categoric this time.

the spider ws1 is also a great option but you will not have the shoulder protection. if this is a major concern for you, i would stick with the spider ld aero.

dont hesitate to let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Re: Why would I not wear a sleeved suit in a sprint? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently chose a short sleeved suite for sun protection. If you travel to races by yourself, getting sun protection on your back can be difficult, and covering it up is a nice way to protect yourself IMHO.

Mr. October wrote:
desert dude wrote:
I wanted to circle back on this while it's fresh in my mind.

Did the Desert International tri that had a long 1.5k swim. Wore a brand new, never put it on before race morning Kiwami Spider Aero LD in the swim under my wetsuit. I did not zip the zipper during the swim, which I think is the best bet no matter what suit you use if it's front zip

Never thought about the Kiwami suit after I put it on. The sleeves are flexible enough that it's a non issue in the swim even under a wet suit. It didn't bother my on the rush from gun nor in the middle 2/3 of the swim where I was sitting on the leader's feet. Didn't notice it when I started drilling it towards the last buoy & then to the finish line when the leader drastically veered off course.

Was able to get it zipped up easily in transition smooth out the ends of the sleeves and still be at the front leaving T1. 3 of us came out of the water together and left T1 together.

No issues no fuss with the suit.

Thanks for the followup. I've been going through this and similar threads to make a decision too. I am coming off surgery in the fall and will likely doing nothing longer than sprints and Olympic distance this year but I'm really interested in going to sleeves for the added sun protection. I've spent a bunch of time and money at dermatology offices the last two years getting various bits of my anatomy trimmed off and feel like adding a bit more sun protection aside from spray or cream is a good idea. I'm liking the looks of the Kiwami.

This was from my first attempt at 70.3 . . Eagleman a few years ago. It was a long day.
Quote Reply
Re: Why would I not wear a sleeved suit in a sprint? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Am i missing something?

People talk about having it rolled down during the swim? I guess then with a swim skin/wetsuit on top (otherwise massive drag/not legal to swim with bare torso?). But once you get up from the water, you are NOT allowed to have a naked torso, so does that mean (for those that have it rolled down), that you either use/waste time in the changing tent to roll it up, or do you just screw the rules and run semi naked for a bit?

You are not allowed a naked torso?

So wearing just swim shorts is illegal?

I’m seriously interested because that is all I wear
Quote Reply
Re: Why would I not wear a sleeved suit in a sprint? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you wear the M-2 even in races which do NOT allow wetsuits?

I’m concerned the pad will soak up so much water it will slow me down
Quote Reply
Re: Why would I not wear a sleeved suit in a sprint? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've yet to do an open water swim race that did not allow wetsuits.
Regardless, any real tri-suit will not absorb a lot of water into the pad, they are designed pretty thin, not like the 'diapers' that assos puts in their bike shorts...
Quote Reply
Re: Why would I not wear a sleeved suit in a sprint? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it is worth, since the start of the season I've been racing in a DeSoto Riviera Flisuit under a Roka Maverick Elite wetsuit- both are sleeved. I wear the DeSoto zipped up and have not had any trouble swimming. I used to swim in a sleeveless wetsuit with only a pair of jammers underneath. I don't have a long enough experience to know the impact on my pace, but I'm certainly not experiencing any discomfort in my shoulders or elsewhere. And just for reference, I'm about an 80th percentile swimmer, above 90th in both running and biking, and I'm 5'8/ <150 pounds. I got the sleeved trisuit primarily for sun protection, but I love the convenience and comfort and it certainly feels fast on the bike. I've had no trouble in heat, but I haven't yet used it on a 90+ degree day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next