Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Honolulu (rental?)
Quote | Reply
Hi-

I'm going to be in Honolulu this weekend and I'd like to do some cycling. Looking for a recommendation for a bike shop that will rent. I'm probably taking a shuttle from the airport to the downtown area where we've got a hotel/hostel or something. I'll be traveling with two non-cyclists so I'd like to plan to rent a bike and meet them places.

One idea is to rent a cycle in Honolulu and ride up to North Shore while they take a shuttle or something. Is it possible to do this ride (are there streets that go there)?

I'd like to ride anywhere from 50-100 miles. Suggestions for a loop? Bike shop for rentals?

Thanks,

DKSF
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Honolulu (rental?) [dksf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Hawaii and don't know of any bike shops that rent road bikes. I'm sure there are some tourist shops in Waikiki that rent cruisers, but nothing that you could use to ride up to the North Shore. One possibility is calling a tri store called Boca Hawaii. They sell used bikes and have a buy back guarantee. The owner, Raul Boca, is a well known triathlete and coach and might be willing to arrange something along the lines of a rental. Tell him Marty Smith sent you! The phone is:BOCA HAWAII at 330 Cooke Street (Phone: 591-9839)

Have fun and be careful if you go in the water -- the surf on the North Shore is huge (35 ft) right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Honolulu (rental?) [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Island Triathlon and Bikes rents road bikes as does, The Bike Shop. There is usually a Sat and or Sunday group ride from the park by Waikiki.
The Bus can take you to North Shore to ride, but if the waves are big traffic could be pretty bad. Both have websites or you cal cal Faye (Bike Shop) or Frank IT&B for more info. Hope that helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kamehameha Hwy on the east side of the island is washed out due to high surf. Waves crashing over the highway leaving sand, rocks and all kine other crap. You may be able to take a chance and ride thru, but be prepared to turn around or walk it. Ride it if your good;)

Bring your camera. Bombs on the north shore!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just there over the holidays and rented a decent Specialized Allez from The Bike Shop on King Street. The rate was about $25/day, with a $600 deposit.

As I was staying in Waikiki, I found it to be a nice ride from my hotel to Waimaloa Beach (not sure on spelling), one of the nicest on the island, and very bicycle friendly. It's about 40 miles RT, and the coastal scenery is fantastic. You pass right by the base of Diamondhead, as well as Hanauma Bay Reserve (some of the best snorkling).

You can also go to the Hawaii Bicycle League website for a detailed map of cycling routes on the island.

I'm counting the days until I go back next year.

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of tourist type city bike rentals but for what you want try Island Triathlon and Bike at 569 Kapahulu Ave. Phone # 808 732-7227. Owners name is Frank Smith. They have some serious equipment and are within walking distance of Waikiki. Most of the roads have a good paved shoulder all the way to the North shore, Not all but most. Be aware though we have just had lots of rain and wind so some of the shoulders have lots of debris.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully cleaned up by this weekend so I can do my cp30 test.

http://www.khnl.com/.../story.asp?S=1600692
Quote Reply