Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just focus on doing the training for that day and eventually the motivation comes back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Historically what have your motivations for training and riding been? Can you put your finger on what has changed? I ask because the goals are what keep me coming back. I am definitely thinking about races when I am on the trainer drudging through intervals. Thankfully I live somewhere where I can ride outside most of the year, but I still find this helps me to get on the bike every day whether it’s indoors or outside.

And, as someone else said...get a mountain bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most likely, there is nothing wrong with you, medically. If I read the op correctly, you've gained 15 lbs and your indoor cycling mileage dropped. That sounds fairly normal to me, given that it's the beginning of March and you ride indoors. This is probably the hardest time of year to keep the motivation. You are not in a deep hole of lost fitness. You merely have some conveniently stored calories for your future rides.

Your motivation might be influenced by your short term & long term goals. Micro and macro goals. Circles within circles, you know.

Do you have a weekly mileage or zwift sessions goal? Do you have a goal for your fitness for your first spring race or event? Do you have races picked out for the rest of the season? Do you have general lifestyle/community involvement goals that include riding?

For myself, I'm trying to run 35 mpw. I want to be in top 20 for 100/100. I have a 100 m bike ride on April 8 that I need to prepare for. I hope to run a sub-4 hr marathon this spring/summer. I have 3 local triathlons this year. The last one is a half im distance. My broader goals include setting a good example of athleticism to my hubby & kids. I want to be visible running & biking in my community so others know that it's ok and normal. They might want to try it. I try to smile and make it look fun.

RKW, how are you doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh, riding inside is just boring and demotivating. I rode for an hour last night and felt pretty apathetic about the whole thing - weather looks nice this weekend, so I'll get some time outside on the bike which should help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling certainly is more fun when the weather is nice and a great thing about the bike is that you can make noticeable gains in fitness fairly quickly. Check out this article - https://www.bicycling.com/.../fitness/fit-be-tied

Enjoy getting outside this weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
How do ya'll overcome a collapse in motivation and get back on the "horse"?

Do something else. Life's too short to worry about it

^ This. Try mountain biking, skiing, hiking, weight lifting, etc. Good opportunity to learn a new skill or new training methods
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with this sentiment, I was in a hole with work and training for 70.3s. I stopped training and couldn't find a way to start again, so I dug out the mountain bike and rode for fun. A few months of MTB rides and my head is where it should be, I tried a few offroad duathlons too keep me interested and I am finally getting the fitness back but without the pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job riding last night! I hope riding outside this weekend is satisfying for you. We're in for some rain on Saturday, but I think I can join a 30 social ride on Sunday. Good times!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch is getting weak, on the second page and no one has posted the only acceptable response:

HTFU

Your Welcome
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [E Ricca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new to slowtwitch (compared to a lot of the old-timers here, who reckon in decades not months) and I don't know what a lot of the acronyms mean.

HTFU: Hush the f* up? That seems nicer than the other version.
Hang the fool ukulele?
Hold that fragile uncle?
Honey, toughen f-something up?

Is there a thread for the acronyms?
Last edited by: CalamityJane88: Mar 2, 18 16:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:
So as the title states. in the past two months, my motivation to train has completely collapsed. (I'm a cyclist only, but the sport should have no affect on the collapse)

I went from 150-165#, mileage plummetted, and I have no desire to ride my bike inside. The few outside rides i've done, it doesn't feel like I've lost too much fitness, but i definitely don't feel like i'm in shape.

How do ya'll overcome a collapse in motivation and get back on the bike?

Go do a scary ride.

I was in exactly the same position as you a couple months back. Had gained about 10 extra pounds because I just couldn't push myself to get on the bike and go ride. All of my workouts had been back and forth on the same, boring, flat, bike path. I couldn't handle it anymore. Finally, a training partner of mine convinced/cajoled me to go ride some scary sttep hills with him out in a rural area.

I don't know if it was the competition going up the hills where we beat the living s*** out of each other, or the terror of flying downhill at 45 to 50+ MPH and almost coming off a few times, but somewhere out there I remembered why I like to ride bikes.

Think back and remember whatever it was it inspired you to ride bikes. What about cycling that gives you Joy, go ride a route that exactly gives you that feeling. If it's hammering on the flats, go ride a flat route. If it's twisty roads, go ride those. If it's insane climbs, go hit those. If it's terrifying descents, go ride those. Just find whatever it is that inspired you in the first place and made you want to be faster, and you'll get it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [E Ricca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E Ricca wrote:
Slowtwitch is getting weak, on the second page and no one has posted the only acceptable response:

HTFU

Your Welcome

I love this bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harden
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
RKW wrote:
Yeah, not looking for an excuse to not ride my bike - i'm more than capable of coming up with those. It's more I can't get over the drudgery of riding the trainer or rollers. Irrespective of what I'm doing, zwift, movie, etc. it still feels like being on a hamster wheel, and with my idiotic work schedule, I don't really have time to ride with any of the groups except on weekends.

sounds like it's time to get a mountain bike.
^ This! You'll get a great work out, but you'll finish it saying "I can'y stop yet, I haven't ridden x/y/x trail". I can't ever get enough (and came from exactly the same mental state as you) though my current collar bone break has forced me back onto the turbo so that I don't lose fitness and can still mountain bike when I'm recovered! Funny how life works!
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i HATE mountain biking. I'll go ride gravel, but mountain biking isn't going to happen.

300k this weekend, outside, without arm-warmers or rain seemed to help. Will jump on the TT bike inside today, because rain...we'll see if that crushes the motivation or not
Quote Reply

Prev Next