Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If they successfully banned "assault rifles"... what would happen when [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:
The problem with Donkeys like you is you misapply it sporting rifles like the AR-15, which is not an assault rifle. Likewise, you admit AR does not stand for "Assault Rifle," yet your Donkey brethren love to misrepresent that it does.

For someone as insistent upon a definition as you, you curiously omit any citations. What body politic or NGO has authority to establish the criteria for an "assault rifle"?

LOL! Weak effort, even for you.

The problem with Badgers like you is you misapply the term weak effort. That was not a weak effort and I have never called it a weak effort. You admit that for me it was a week's effort, yet you Badger brethren call it a weak effort.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: If they successfully banned "assault rifles"... what would happen when [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

1. Civilians can't obtain assault rifles now. These AR-15 scary black rifles that have people up in the arms share some cosmetic similarities with true US military assault rifles, but only someone unschooled in firearms, especially rifles, would ever mistake a .223 caliber AR-15 (not a very powerful rifle) for an M4 or an M16A2 or the like.

What are you talking about?

The only difference between many commonly available AR-15s and military versions of the M4/M16 etc is a sear that allows a three round burst in the Military versions in addition to the Semiautomatic option with the safety selector lever.

Here's a M16A4 clone for example. Here's a MK18 ( well sort of the US SOCOM preferred weapon)

Here's a SEAL Team favorite military version and its Civilian version.

BETTER than Milspec bolt carrier group, buffer assemblies, barrels, etc, etc are available for civilian purchase. In many ways the ARs any civilian can purchase are vastly superior to the military versions- save for the 3 round burst sear.

Also, many, if not most, ARs shoot 5.56 (which allows them to shoot .223 as well). M855 5.56 Green Tip Ball ammo is available for civilian purchase and what the military used until about 6-7 years.

Not sure what you think makes a M16/M4 better or more powerful than an AR-15.

Thanks for your informed view.

Interesting that no-one responded to your post. I guess it doesn't fit certain people's narrative.
Quote Reply
Re: If they successfully banned "assault rifles"... what would happen when [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

To offer my opinion. I would not be opposed to limiting ownership/possession of the AR type rifles and high capacity magazines based on age and other factors such as prior criminal activity and/or violence. I think it could make *some* impact on the school shootings. If I were in a school I would rather someone be shooting at me with a 9mm versus a .223. The only true benefit I could see is that it would make them a little less lethal because of the ballistics, as a .223 is more accurate and deadly at 100 yards than a typical pistol round.

When was the last time a school shooter took precision shots from 100 yards? Most are walking the halls firing in the general direction of anything that moves.

If I had to be shot, I would much rather be shot by a .223 than a 9mm. Much higher chance of a clean through-and-through with a .223. In fact, this is one of the biggest knocks on the M16 for military applications.

A 9mm has more chance of tumbling. If it is a hollow point, it would tear you a new one. Even worse would be a .45 acp. That will put a large hole in someone.

So, if we are talking the spray and pray method of shooting in a confined hallway, your odds are likely better against a single shooter with an AR and 30 round mag than a single shooter with a Glock 17 and 30 round mag of 9mm.

The worst? A shotgun loaded with deer shot. One round sends out multiple projectiles and could clear a hallway in a whole lot less rounds than either a rifle or pistol. But shotguns are not a scary looking, until one is looking down the barrel. Then a shotgun becomes a lot more scary than some wimpy AR!
Quote Reply
Re: If they successfully banned "assault rifles"... what would happen when [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
JSA wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

To offer my opinion. I would not be opposed to limiting ownership/possession of the AR type rifles and high capacity magazines based on age and other factors such as prior criminal activity and/or violence. I think it could make *some* impact on the school shootings. If I were in a school I would rather someone be shooting at me with a 9mm versus a .223. The only true benefit I could see is that it would make them a little less lethal because of the ballistics, as a .223 is more accurate and deadly at 100 yards than a typical pistol round.

When was the last time a school shooter took precision shots from 100 yards? Most are walking the halls firing in the general direction of anything that moves.

If I had to be shot, I would much rather be shot by a .223 than a 9mm. Much higher chance of a clean through-and-through with a .223. In fact, this is one of the biggest knocks on the M16 for military applications.

A 9mm has more chance of tumbling. If it is a hollow point, it would tear you a new one. Even worse would be a .45 acp. That will put a large hole in someone.

So, if we are talking the spray and pray method of shooting in a confined hallway, your odds are likely better against a single shooter with an AR and 30 round mag than a single shooter with a Glock 17 and 30 round mag of 9mm.

The worst? A shotgun loaded with deer shot. One round sends out multiple projectiles and could clear a hallway in a whole lot less rounds than either a rifle or pistol. But shotguns are not a scary looking, until one is looking down the barrel. Then a shotgun becomes a lot more scary than some wimpy AR!

I would rather have either one of the below than an AR-style weapon, under the conditions you describe (disclosure: I have the first one illustrated, a Mossberg 500, and have had one for years. No home should be without one, in fact.)

This second one (the Benelli M4) is a semi-automatic shotgun with a 6-shell (5 +1) magazine capacity, which can be increased through a magazine extension. So what are the gun controllers going to do next? Ban shotguns?

I like this gun bed, too. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: If they successfully banned "assault rifles"... what would happen when [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were able to reduce and control the number of guns in circulation such that it became extremely difficult for a teenager or irresponsible person to get their hands on a gun and certainly on any kind of semi-automatic or automatic weapon, then I would expect to see shootings drop dramatically, in line with countries that have low gun volumes and strong gun controls. I don't believe that American teenagers are inherently more homicidal than European teenagers and would simply find other ways of carrying out mass killings (knives, trucks, homemade bombs, etc). I think the relatively easy availability of guns is the single most important factor behind why America has regular mass killings in schools and Europe doesn't.

Problem of course is that with >300 million guns estimated to be in circulation, it would be a gargantuan task trying to get them under control and there's nothing like the mass support needed to make it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: If they successfully banned "assault rifles"... what would happen when [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
JSA wrote:
When was the last time a school shooter took precision shots from 100 yards?

Not a school shooter but the Beltway "sniper" took shots at >100 yards and arguably terrorized more people for more time than a school shooting.

He used a Bushmaster AR-15 with an EOTech red dot. It is probably fortunate that was his weapon of choice. If he used a Tikka T3 .308 (hunting rifle) with an actual scope, for example, he would have done FAR more damage. Fortunately, what he used was far, far less effective.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply

Prev Next