Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trouble in Paradise
Quote | Reply
Generally we live in very safe place, kids go to small school, no significant issues to speak of.

But my daughter's 6th grade seems to have some real trouble makers (relatively speaking).

Now getting most of this second hand through her, but... There is a new boy this year, who came to school for a few weeks and then apparently choked his twin brother severely enough that they sent him to the local mental hospital for a couple of months.

So he got out returned to school last week, they had a dance on Friday night where the choker asked a girl to dance with him and she said no. So he tracked down the kid she liked and proceeded to choke him. Which if true you would think would buy you a one-way ticket back to the mental hospital. But the kid is in school this week. He was sent out of my daughter's class to the principle's office yesterday for telling another kid he was fat and annoying, or something to that effect.

Another boy who is always getting in trouble punched a kid in the gut at the dance, a kid who is recovering from a broken sternum. Boy is the son of a teacher and an administrator at the school, but has not been in school this week.

And to top it all off, another girl freaked my daughter out by telling her she was going to "fucking punch her" because she danced with a boy that asked her to, and the other girl likes that boy.

The choking incident (or whatever happened) prompted the dance to be ended early.

Very tempted to contact the school over the choker but who knows what is true and it's not like the school will be able to say anything about what is going on.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble in Paradise [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to start (and end) with, six grade is too young to be having dances.

And the kid doing the choking belongs in juvenile, not in the hospital.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, kids will be kids...

No.

I'd be all over the school about the threat of physical violence to my daughter and for clarification about WTF is going on there. The school administration has 2 responsibilities: #2 To teach our kids and #1 To create a safe environment in which to do it.

Ask them, politely but insistently, to explain recent events as you understand them, and let them know in no uncertain terms that should Chokey McChoker Face or Paula Punchy touch your daughter that you will hold them accountable...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd think/hope the school s already dealing with this kid where the choking incident happened at a school function, and is not the first time the kid has done something like this.

On the same vein, I heard two parents talking last night about a sixth-grader in our town (thankfully my daughter goes to a different school) that had to be removed from school where he had some serious issues. One parent referred to him as "scary, like skin suit in the closet scary".

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I"m always amazed when something happens (violence) at a school that if it happened anywhere else, police would be involved, but since it happened on school grounds, they think they will handle it.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble in Paradise [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
I'm going to start (and end) with, six grade is too young to be having dances.

And the kid doing the choking belongs in juvenile, not in the hospital.

Well it was a middle school dance and the 7th and 8th graders are pissed at the 6th graders for ruining it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble in Paradise [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:

No.

I'd be all over the school about the threat of physical violence to my daughter and for clarification about WTF is going on there. The school administration has 2 responsibilities: #2 To teach our kids and #1 To create a safe environment in which to do it.

Ask them, politely but insistently, to explain recent events as you understand them, and let them know in no uncertain terms that should Chokey McChoker Face or Paula Punchy touch your daughter that you will hold them accountable...

My wife is all over the girl issue as it directly involved our daughter, emailed the principal and guidance counselor. No problems this week.

I'm more of the "if she touches you, kick her in the privates for all you're worth" school of thought, my daughter plays soccer and has an awesome right foot, but I know ultimately this wouldn't be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble in Paradise [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garry wrote:
I"m always amazed when something happens (violence) at a school that if it happened anywhere else, police would be involved, but since it happened on school grounds, they think they will handle it.

I've always said that about University level. I'm not one to immediately call the police over any ol' thing with kids. A punch the gut is one thing, choking someone when you've already been institutionalized for doing it before is another.
Last edited by: ThisIsIt: Feb 28, 18 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
snoots wrote:

No.

My wife is all over the girl issue as it directly involved our daughter, emailed the principal and guidance counselor. No problems this week.

I'm more of the "if she touches you, kick her in the privates for all you're worth" school of thought, my daughter plays soccer and has an awesome right foot, but I know ultimately this wouldn't be helpful.

Knowing how to defend yourself is never a bad thing. I tell my kids to never start anything, but...

There's no excuse for a kid that chokes other kids to still be there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may regret it if you don't push the administration about the choker kid. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so demanding that something be done is going to help get stuff done. No schools have enough resources, so the administration is going to prioritize high profile events which are identified as those that get parents banging on their door.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble in Paradise [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
heard two parents talking last night..one parent referred to him as "scary, like skin suit in the closet scary".
Should have replied, "Excuse me, as a cyclist/triathlete, I have SEVERAL skinsuits in my closet. Does that make me scary too?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find out about the choking incidents. If they happened ask the administration if you need to call the news media in order to get it handled properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Trouble in Paradise [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
heard two parents talking last night..one parent referred to him as "scary, like skin suit in the closet scary".

Should have replied, "Excuse me, as a cyclist/triathlete, I have SEVERAL skinsuits in my closet. Does that make me scary too?"

Quote Reply
Re: Trouble in Paradise [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You may regret it if you don't push the administration about the choker kid. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so demanding that something be done is going to help get stuff done. No schools have enough resources, so the administration is going to prioritize high profile events which are identified as those that get parents banging on their door.

x2

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh damn, this Choker kid reads a lot like my friends son whom they adopted. Thanks to being born to a serious drug abuser, he has a host of issues which everyone has to deal with and also recently chocked his brother (also adopted) then lied about it. He has a therapist who knows of the problems they face and notes on every time my friends are conversing with the teachers regarding his behaviors. Unfortunately they have to go through this, but if he does something bad like Choker, it is not on them as bad parents. The schools are informed about all of his business and have him on their radar. Contact the school and ask how often complaints have been coming in about him and what will be done, if what you know is true. Also, his little tail needs juvenile detention not a visit to the hospital.