Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ben Greenfield update: stem cell
Quote | Reply
https://gizmodo.com/this-guy-injected-his-dick-with-stem-cells-to-try-to-ma-1823245542

This guy is ridiculous. He will do anything for a click. (kerning intended)

He has all of the hallmarks of pseudoscience nonsense...
  • "N=1"
  • anecdotes
  • never actually measured it
  • did his own thorough research
  • throws in autism for good measure

Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was talking about his "experiments" for Mens Health mag on the Joe Rogan Podcast the other day. I could not make it through the whole episode, I am surprised there are people who actually listen to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he once extolled and sold goat colostrum, that was probably my fav. you have to sit back and enjoy the BG shtick. hustling naive triathletes in a minor sin in the grand scheme and a quarterly to his website is a sure provider of a few laughs.

people smarter than me will tell you pills, powders and potions are unnecessary. never ask the butcher how much meat you should eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
https://gizmodo.com/this-guy-injected-his-dick-with-stem-cells-to-try-to-ma-1823245542

• "N=1"
  • anecdotes

He has a basejumper or wingsuit person mentality when it comes to his body. They want to take it one step farther. Go just a bit faster. Squeeze through just a little smaller opening.

The sad thing is they often end up in a splat on the side of a mountain or bridge..

Take heed BG.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Said the guy who obviously wasn’t paying attention in biology class when they talked about colostrum.

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [pacificfit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I almost just fell off the toilet laughing. That really made my day, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a toilet toilet or a squatty potty?

DBF wrote:
I almost just fell off the toilet laughing. That really made my day, thank you.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

• "N=1"
  • anecdotes

that is a truly f***ing atrocious article. like, what in the actual hell. "my wife can tell when i'm inside her." does that guy have no shame? that is so, so stupid. i am appalled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pacificfit wrote:
Said the guy who obviously wasn’t paying attention in biology class when they talked about colostrum.

Pray tell what did your biology teacher tell you about colostrum? I'm guessing different stuff than my professor. Or perhaps you heard from a guy who read something so you know best?
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was home schooled. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Methinks that any researcher worth his salt would have measured prior to the injection. I am guessing he did, but is embarrassed by the incredibly small “before” measurement so did not publish.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But his wife says he feels larger inside her!

*throw up a little*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pacificfit wrote:

I do not recall any discussion of colostrum in biology class but I suspect it may have centered on the leap of logic to assume that bovine colustrum benefits people since the chemistry of colustrum is species specific. What is good for newborn calves is not necessarily good for newborn humans, let alone adult humans.
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
But his wife says he feels larger inside her!

*throw up a little*

Honest question: if a guy with 60,00 twitter followers who lives by social media makes a statement like this in an self-promoting article, does it make him or his wife “fair game” for cyberbullying? Or at least for cheap/out-of-bounds jokes about him or his wife?
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt he would even care. Frankly any press is probably good press in his eyes. After all, there is a reason Bengreenfieldfitness is as almost as big as Slowtwitch and we actually have a digital watercooler that keeps us always coming back.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've given up on the podcast but I've bought a couple of his books, they're pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy smokes. The article was a steaming pile of garbage. Here are a few highlights that stood out to me:

Quote:
Then he rattled off a laundry list of “modern assailants,” including cellphones, and a list of problems including autism and erectile dysfunction that he believes may be related.

Rewind the clock a few years and he could rattle off a list of modern assailants, including the telegraph, and a list of problems including distemper, smallpox, and the fits, that he believes may be related. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Greenfield, who considers himself a “biohacker,” is a big believer in stem cells. He’s had them in his knee and hip to help him recover from an injury, which he said was successful. He’s also injected them into his own arm as a performance enhancer at home.

That Greenfield, a so-called "guru", would think that it's prudent or even interesting to do something like this to improve his arm performance is mind bogglingly stupid.

pacificfit wrote:
T
hree or four days after the procedure, he said, it was “almost like it grew.”

Almost like the procedure worked, almost like it was for real? Almost like he could tell? But not quite?

Quote:
...Greenfield, a fitness guru...
and
Quote:
...Greenfield is a cult figure among fitness fanatics, a guru...

I get tired of people like this being labeled "guru" -- a word which to me should represent prudence, intelligence, wisdom, and learning, when in reality he's not only regurgitating every conspiratorial pseudo-science nonsense notion that crosses in front of his view, but he's doing some very dangerous and unwise self-treatment in the name of "going from good to great".

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF? I don't know what else to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Ben Greenfield update: stem cell [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I just made my annual trip to his website looking for some laughs. It’s not nearly as quack as it used to be, disappointingly. If you take BG himself out of the equation, I dare say it’s not much stupider than other supplement companies.
I miss those days when there was powder colostrum from a goat and a special mat that replicated the feeling of the earth, and a sort of sack you were supposed to sleep in. I also seem to remember him saying you should walk around with a ice vest on, freezing your ass off all day in order to burn a few hundred calories.
I bet BG is smart enough to just eat good food and not mess with his own supplements, just like Tim Ferriss probably averaged a 80 hour work week after he wrote The 4 Hour Work Week.

No spellcheck and no fact check in until January 2021.
Quote Reply