Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Painting a Trek Speed Concept Draft Box
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience painting their Trek Speed Concept Draft Box II (newer version)? The goal is an entirely black box, so hopefully I would only need to paint the gray section.

I have checked with a couple custom paint shops, but they’ve quoted ~$200+ and I figured I might be able to do it cheaper.

What is the best type of paint to use? I am not opposed to painting the whole thing to make sure it matches, but want to make sure I am using the correct paint for the job.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a Trek Speed Concept Draft Box [TRIspud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd look into spraying it with Plastidip. Easy to remove it if it doesn't turn out as planned. I've had friends do their whole bikes with it with pretty decent results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plastidip would be good option that’s not permenant. Also depends on how nice you want it to look.

However, if I was going to paint it here’s what I’d do:

Sand entire thing down and thoroughly clean with tack cloth and alcohol for a super clean surface. Then I’d lay down a couple of light coats of primer. Sanding between each coat, thoroughly removing all dust. Probably until I was down to 400 grit.

Then I’d probably use enamel paint and apply VERY light coats, letting it fully dry. After adequate coverage, then I’d finish with some clear coat to protect the finish.

That’d probably be plenty good enough and if done correctly pretty durable.

If you wanted mirror finish you could keep sanding between clear coat and work your way up to 2000 grit to really polish it.
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a Trek Speed Concept Draft Box [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
Plastidip would be good option that’s not permenant. Also depends on how nice you want it to look.

However, if I was going to paint it here’s what I’d do:

Sand entire thing down and thoroughly clean with tack cloth and alcohol for a super clean surface. Then I’d lay down a couple of light coats of primer. Sanding between each coat, thoroughly removing all dust. Probably until I was down to 400 grit.

Then I’d probably use enamel paint and apply VERY light coats, letting it fully dry. After adequate coverage, then I’d finish with some clear coat to protect the finish.

That’d probably be plenty good enough and if done correctly pretty durable.

If you wanted mirror finish you could keep sanding between clear coat and work your way up to 2000 grit to really polish it.

This is pretty much the right way. Commenting to really drive home the 'VERY light coats, fully dry' bit. More people screw that section up than any other. Lots and lots of light coats.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a Trek Speed Concept Draft Box [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Re: Primer - spray or painted?

Re: light coats - is there a best practice here? Special brush to use?

Also, for the sanding - by hand or machine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’ll want to use spray paint for everything. Otherwise you’ll end up with brush strokes.

As for light coats. Find a well ventilated area (eg outside) with minimal wind/breeze. I like to hold can ~15” away. Start with it to the side of what you’re spraying. Start the spray and then move across the object, past the object and stop the spray. Then repeat across the rest of the object.

The key is you don’t want to be too close so that the paint pools or drips. Start the spray to the side to avoid a burst of paint that will pool/drip.

If you’re doing it right it’ll look uneven at first and dry quickly. That’s fine. Just keep repeating.

People get eager and try to get whole thing covered in one or two coats. Don’t fall into that trap. Better to do 10 light coats than 2 heavy coats.

Look up some YouTube tutorials for better explanations if you still need them.
Quote Reply