Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say you're fine, but I would do a few trainings to test your race nutrition. I did a 3 hour bike (last 2 hours at race intensity) followed by a 15km run (first 10k at race intensity) 2 weeks before my first half distance tri. During this I used the nutrition as I was planning to use it in the race. It went well, and I repeated it a week before but shortened the run to 10km as it was going well and didn't want to dig too deep. Preferably I would have done those tests a bit earlier, and if it goes well the first time there is not a real need to repeat. If it doesn't go well the first time, then do repeat with an adjusted nutrition plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
I don't think my math is that far off. The Bike may be high, but I wouldn't go into these distance with a lower volume swim or run.

Half
-Swim 2-3x race distance/week = 4-6 K/wk
-Bike 2-3x race distance/week = 112-168 mi/wk
-Run 1-2x race distance/week = 13-26 mi/wk

Full
-Swim 2-3x race distance/week = 8-12 K/wk
-Bike 2-3x race distance/week = 224-336 mi/wk
-Run 1-2x race distance/week = 26-52 mi/wk

I find your numbers really quite high.

In my 3 IM's, the 20 week averages leading up to the race are approximately

Swim 1.8x
Bike 1.15x
Run 1x

This has resulted in 2 KQ and ~50th in Kona (in 40-44)

I would say I'd be top 20 in Kona doing consistently 1.5x race distance/week. My guess is that 340 miles/week would be a lot for a pro
Quote Reply
Re: Am I ready for my first Half Iron Man? [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, I follow pro cyclists on Strava on the team the company I work for sponsors, ones who just competed in the tours in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Their weekly mileage is in the 350ish range when not racing a tour. Professional cyclists. Making money to ride a bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next