Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage?
Quote | Reply
After messing with my Garmin mount and finally giving up (I can't get it out far enough and still aero/horizontal with anything I've tried), I ordered a Zipp Vuka BTA mount. Looks like a great solution for the computer mount.

Now, the question...is it really necessary to spend $70 on a bottle cage, or is there an alternative cage that mounts to the Zipp Vuka which works fine?

I know, I know...if you've gone this far, why not just throw a little more money at it? (I keep having this inner conversation we probably all share when it comes to upgrade considerations, hilarious, there should be a comedy sketch vid on youtube about this common bike nerd behavior.) :D
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great option that seems to work just fine: Profile Design Kage My wife has been running the Zipp Vuka BTA system with this cage for the past three years, and no issues. Hope the helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you could just run it with any old bottle cage?

Are you worried about the cage/bottle hitting the computer mount arm that comes up at the front? Just looking at the Zipp cage, it doesn't look like anything extraordinary with regard to mounting holes.

I'll be interested to hear some experiences too, because I'm thinking of using one this season but might think twice if I have to pay almost twice as much with the cost of the Zipp cage on top
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I thought you could just run it with any old bottle cage?

Are you worried about the cage/bottle hitting the computer mount arm that comes up at the front? Just looking at the Zipp cage, it doesn't look like anything extraordinary with regard to mounting holes.

I'll be interested to hear some experiences too, because I'm thinking of using one this season but might think twice if I have to pay almost twice as much with the cost of the Zipp cage on top

That may be so, I'm just ignorant until I try it firsthand. Looks like the Zipp cage has standard screw hole locations, and if that's correct, then, it could be any cage (which has some decent tension on the retaining portion at top of the bottle).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any cage will do. I have a cheap Ebay carbon one on mine for last 2 seasons
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
any cage will do. I have a cheap Ebay carbon one on mine for last 2 seasons

Awesome. :)

This is good news, thanks for sharing that.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [XX29er] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do any of the aero BTA bottles (or bottles with integrated cages) work with the Zipp BTA? For example, do any of the Xlab Torpedo bottle/cage setups work on this Zipp Vuka mount? (Realizing that the bottle, if it needs to be slid out, just slide toward the rider instead of toward the shifters due to the computer mount on the Zipp.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use any cage on the Zipp Vuka BTA mount.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
You can use any cage on the Zipp Vuka BTA mount.

Understood based on the holes, but question about aero bottles like the Xlab Torpedo. Will that work, or would it be facing the wrong direction or other issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See my thread http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...TA_Hybrid)_P5411136/

I used to use that setup but switched over to the XLAB Torpedo Versa 500 because I wanted to be able to tilt the computer. The TriSports mount has been discontinued.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't find the trisports bracket anywhere, the Torpedo cage lets regular bottles fly easily, so I just took it off and put it aside, but most importantly, I'm now trying to come up with a hands-free drinking option which I can mount to the Zipp Vuka BTA. Any ideas?

The Vuka mount is so solid, really love how it stiffens up the aero bars, so I'm keeping it for now. Would love to use the Torpedo bottle, but it would run into the computer mount without the unavailable trisports bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what I did on my Shiv -

Went to the hardware store and bought a piece of mending plate with various holes pre-drilled in it ; $1, if that.

Relocated the bottle cage by screwing the top most hole of the mending plate into the rearward hole of the Zipp mount. The cage then screws into the holes of the mending plate, you may need some washers. For extra stability I velcro the rear of the mending plate to the top of my Shiv's stem. Done, and once properly tightened down, hasn't moved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Can't find the trisports bracket anywhere, the Torpedo cage lets regular bottles fly easily, so I just took it off and put it aside, but most importantly, I'm now trying to come up with a hands-free drinking option which I can mount to the Zipp Vuka BTA. Any ideas?

The Vuka mount is so solid, really love how it stiffens up the aero bars, so I'm keeping it for now. Would love to use the Torpedo bottle, but it would run into the computer mount without the unavailable trisports bracket.

I made brackets like the Trisports mount. Works awesome. I’ll see if Exxxxvi can post a pic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my setup with Pwraddr's Zipp extension stick. This is with a Garmin & Torpedo bottle on an integrated bridge plate. Pwraddr made one for a standard Vuka setup too. Same, but the extension can be a little shorter and tighter to the front of the bottle. I have the stick sandwiched between my bottle cage and the Tririg's bridge plate. IMHO, this is absolutely the best computer position anywhere-- other than with a fully integrated system like the XLAB Versa 200 & 500. I had a 500, but it is incompatible with my Tririg system.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
Super D wrote:

I made brackets like the Trisports mount. Works awesome. I’ll see if Exxxxvi can post a pic.

Got any spares to sell?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:
Super D wrote:

Got any spares to sell?

Looks great. So basically, I could use that with my Zipp Vuka BTA mount and then just bolt on the Torpedo cage and bottle, right? That'd be pretty much what I'm trying to accomplish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
Super D wrote:
Pwraddr wrote:
Super D wrote:

Got any spares to sell?

Looks great. So basically, I could use that with my Zipp Vuka BTA mount and then just bolt on the Torpedo cage and bottle, right? That'd be pretty much what I'm trying to accomplish.

Yes, that is what Brian’s set up is above. Zipp Mount, the stick, and torpedo cage. I have a IA4 so I use the mounting from the Zipp mount on my extensions and the stick and cage. Mine is closer than Brian’s because he uses a Garmin and needs to access the buttons between the bottle nose on bottom of computer. I use a bolt, so no need, mine is closer.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing to keep in mind, you can bend the Zipp Vuka mount to change the angle - see below, using the Trisports mount attached directly to a Sigma stem.

This setup gives me plenty of room for a Torpedo bottle.

- Drew

---------------------------------------
I am a living animal, tied to a dying soul. -PKD

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [d_smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d_smitty wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind, you can bend the Zipp Vuka mount to change the angle - see below, using the Trisports mount attached directly to a Sigma stem.

This setup gives me plenty of room for a Torpedo bottle.

- Drew

Looks nice, aren’t you afraid of the alloy being stressed and possibly breaking at the least opportune time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really - it is pretty thick at that point, and given the minimal bend and the light weight of the Garmin unit I don't see it as high-risk.

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Vuka BTA users: Is there an alternative bottle cage? [d_smitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d_smitty wrote:
Not really - it is pretty thick at that point, and given the minimal bend and the light weight of the Garmin unit I don't see it as high-risk.

Makes sense. Thanks.

I plan to make a complete piece with the stick attached to make even cleaner. Due to the time involved I’ll use my sticks for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glen at Alden Carbon already has a pretty slick piece available -- https://www.alden-carbon.com/...nded-computer-mounts -- looks like it can be customized to the users' specs.

Quote Reply