Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick my new ride
Quote | Reply
OK, so seriously shopping for a new tri bike. Could use some input. Haven't had a fit in a few years so sprung for a Guru fitting last week (results attached). Here is info that may or not be helpful in generating recommendations:

- Fairly competitive in my AG. Turning 50 this year and goal is try and KQ at Placid. I think it is doable but need to have a good day and depends on who else shows up. Every minute counts.
- I'm 6'3", race weight is ~175# (have a few months to get there)
- Currently riding a BMC TM02 size L
- I have clearance from the boss to at least look at just about anything (in addition to turning 50 it is our 25th anniversary this year and I have not bought a new bike in about 7 years so I get to splurge), although still looking for decent value.
- Yes I am looking for the fastest bike for me but at the risk of starting another war I will lay it out there and say I am open (but not committed) to disc brakes. As a bigger guy I have issues with the shortcomings of carbon rim brakes in wet weather and am willing to consider discs.
- I travel with my bike a fair amount and do the majority of basic wrenching myself, so bonus points for ease of packing and servicing. I have a Ruster henhouse so double bonus if I can fit it in there and avoid the airline fees.

Here is my current short list in no particular order, although open to others:

• QR PR6 or PR6 disc
  • Cervelo P5 6 (I'd consider the P5X but it's hard for me to wrap my head around the 15k sticker...but lets pretend it's in the running.)
  • Parlee TTIR
  • Trek SC..although I hear travel/maintenance is not fun
  • Love to include the Canyon Speedmax should they ever make landfall but don't think I can wait any longer

Anything else to consider?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new ride [SteveCoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After being with Cannondale Aus (great experience, slice is actually quite a nice bike and could recommend highly if you were on a budget) and Dimond (terrible experience personally) I found myself in the position of looking at a new bike. Ended up buying the p5-6 module and chucking on eTap. Couldn't be happier with the outcome. However, if travelling a lot with a henhouse it might be a PIA...

PR6 looks pretty nice if travelling a lot.

Coach at Scientific Triathlon
http://www.scientifictriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a P5-X for $11,000 if you want HED wheels and Di2.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier Tactical
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new ride [ljkerin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ljkerin wrote:
After being with Cannondale Aus (great experience, slice is actually quite a nice bike and could recommend highly if you were on a budget) and Dimond (terrible experience personally) I found myself in the position of looking at a new bike. Ended up buying the p5-6 module and chucking on eTap. Couldn't be happier with the outcome. However, if travelling a lot with a henhouse it might be a PIA...

PR6 looks pretty nice if travelling a lot.

Thanks fo rfeedback....How rough is the P5 6 to travel with?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new ride [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Premier Tactical

I was counting the minutes til the first one of these showed up...I guess I need to throw it in the mix. Anyone know if it can be had without the Pioneer or if there is a 2 leg option? Also, the max pad reach seems borderline for my monkey arms even on the size L.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realistically the P5-6 is probably your safest bet but I also really like the looks of the QR PR6 disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would depend if you have magura or not, but you could buy the premier case or the scicon aerocomfort so you don't have to take the whole front apart. The magura brakes are quite good, but not "disc-brake" great. I've owned the P5-6 and now a tactical, and they're both great bikes. Tactical is quite a bit easier to make adjustment, but doesn't help you much if it's too small.
Last edited by: hhetland: Feb 25, 18 23:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a picture of the position? Those fit numbers are a bit odd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living with a Trek SC is surprisingly not as bad as I feared it would be. The brakes are excellent. For travel, a Scicon soft bag is the only option I would consider (anything protective that lets me keep the bars on) but in terms of everyday maintenance, it's not bad at all. I let the mechanic do cable swaps and big jobs, but brake adjustments, minor fit adjustments etc are easier than some other bikes I've worked on.

However, if that scares you, then the Canyon should, too. It's a nightmare of convoluted cabling inside them, at least on the smaller sizes. Never looked inside a larger one though. Doesn't sound like the P5-6 is any easier to travel with, although I guess with the standard steerer it could be.

Have you considered a Felt IAx? With a TriRig front end, you'd have a fast, yet easy to pack setup. For a balance of packability and speed, the Felt and QR seem like the best middle ground (Cervelo P2/3 too?). Add some HED Jet Blacks in Stallion build, and you've got a fast setup that's easy to pack, brakes great in the wet and will survive any weight.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw I recently ordered the PR6 based on:

- qbox, bento box, bosses for 2 water bottles making it imo a good option for long course training/racing
- higher stack than my 2013 argon e118 and nice stem that should reduce my need to pedestal
- accepts standard rear brake (on non disc option that I ordered)
- relative ease of wrenching (I'm not so good)
- easier to travel with

Enjoy whatever you choose, and best of luck getting to Kona!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my new ride [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Living with a Trek SC is surprisingly not as bad as I feared it would be. The brakes are excellent. For travel, a Scicon soft bag is the only option I would consider (anything protective that lets me keep the bars on) but in terms of everyday maintenance, it's not bad at all. I let the mechanic do cable swaps and big jobs, but brake adjustments, minor fit adjustments etc are easier than some other bikes I've worked on.

However, if that scares you, then the Canyon should, too. It's a nightmare of convoluted cabling inside them, at least on the smaller sizes. Never looked inside a larger one though. Doesn't sound like the P5-6 is any easier to travel with, although I guess with the standard steerer it could be.

Have you considered a Felt IAx? With a TriRig front end, you'd have a fast, yet easy to pack setup. For a balance of packability and speed, the Felt and QR seem like the best middle ground (Cervelo P2/3 too?). Add some HED Jet Blacks in Stallion build, and you've got a fast setup that's easy to pack, brakes great in the wet and will survive any weight.

I have not looked at the Felt yet..will take a look. Thank You!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can order the bike without the left side Pioneer Power Meter or you can add the right side to make it dual. Your choice.

If you would like to go over your fit numbers to see what size will fit; please send me an email dan.premierbike@gmail.com or PM and I'd be happy to go over those items with you.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK...down to 3 choices.....

In order of expensiveness:

Cervelo P5X Ultegra Di2 (although hearing these are in short supply)
QR PR6 Disc Ultegra Di2
Premier Tactical 2.0

I know the Premier is the best bang for the buck, but also looks like I can get a decent deal on the QR although it will still be pricier than the Premier and does not include the case, etc. I hate to say it (bracing for the onslaught), but I am actually liking the concept of disc brakes as well. The Cervelo is by all accounts the most aero of the 3, but its a big chunk of change to get a minute or two in an IM (If the difference for Starky going 27.5mph at IM FLA on the P5X vs the Premier is 2:11 it's likely a minute or so for me at ~22.5mph) ....it does look badass though.

Anyone know how the QR stacks up against the 2 in terms of aero-ness? I know it was not included in the shootout study

http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Peak_Aero_6429.html

Hoping to pull the trigger in the next week.
Quote Reply