Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Outfitting a Van
Quote | Reply
Anybody on here ever done a DIY upfit on a van? I'm not looking to live the #vanlife but the idea of a road trip bike hauler is exceptionally appealing at the moment. Specifically looking at mid 2000s E series / Express vans. Preferably with diesel, but those are a lot harder to come by.

If you did, what sites/stuff did you find most useful? Any thing you know now you wish you had known when you started? Also, pics.
Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear if you “like” Eric Lagerstrom FB there’s some great ideas for a can make over.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, kind of weird that got posted at around the same time. the RV life is not for me. but sweet van rigs are my thing. his express was decently done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An old carpenter I know outfitted one of those off-road Mitsubishi minivans from the 90's with some built ins. I believe he made a large, roll out platform with storage and drawers under it. While at home he used it as a work vehicle and had tools stored in it, but, he could easily clear it out, throw a mattress back there, and go on road trips with himself and his dog quite comfortably. I think he had a mini-fridge, camping stove, etc back there with a basic solar kit to power the fridge, lights, a fan, etc.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is you should get quality duck tape, and get the zip ties that have a bit thicker width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not what you're after but I'd love to have a 70's van, especially a window van, period correct with the curtains and the shag carpet.

Buddies and I tried to do a "lap of America" in the mid 70's in a van. Basically we threw a mattress in the back and started driving. Unfortunately we ran out of time and money and never completed the lap but still saw a lot of the USA before having to head back to the GWN. That's our van in the photo. Oh, to only have those sweet days of my misspent youth back again. :-(

Last edited by: cerveloguy: Feb 24, 18 20:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It goes without saying, you need a bumper sticker:

Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was no time like the 70's for vans

Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you keep plenty of candy onboard, and a puppy.
Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmcconne wrote:
All I know is you should get quality duck tape, and get the zip ties that have a bit thicker width.

these were in my planning notes, sufficient?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Anybody on here ever done a DIY upfit on a van? I'm not looking to live the #vanlife but the idea of a road trip bike hauler is exceptionally appealing at the moment. Specifically looking at mid 2000s E series / Express vans. Preferably with diesel, but those are a lot harder to come by.

If you did, what sites/stuff did you find most useful? Any thing you know now you wish you had known when you started? Also, pics.

I just watched this video. Thomas had an interesting take on his van conversion.
Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmcconne wrote:

And an 8-track copy of Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's American Girl.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Outfitting a Van [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Or the 80s

And Mr. T is a curling fan. Been tweeting all week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is how I use my van:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong decade. Wrong continent.

Import a HiAce or Nissan Caravan.

Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That black Toyota is actually pretty cool. The rest ... a little outlandish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know everyone has been waiting with baited breath, but I will have a platform to outfit as of tomorrow. 2009 E-350 Cargo Extended w/ the 6.0 diesel engine. My idea for this is twofold:

1) Provide (potentially sell) SAG services (this is irrelevant for this forum) packaged with videography/photography
2) Be a good people and toy/bike hauler for road trips to races and other such things (I guess this is more other forum as well)

I have a feeling it's going to take me a long time as I'll have to piecemeal stuff as my budget is pretty low. Adding windows is probably going to be in the first 5 steps. Insulating the walls, floors, and ceiling are also going to be a top 5 priority. Making sure it runs nice and operates smoothly... Etc etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that 6.0. They worked out the worst of the bugs, but... If you don't have a full service record, replace the EGR, EGR cooler and probably the oil cooler. Regular 5k maintenance with OEM products. Don't mod for more power, head bolts still suck. Let it warm up and avoid short trips.
Btw, you will only find the engine listed a a 2007, since they flipped the truck's the next year to the 6.4,'but kept it in vans till 09

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Outfitting a Van [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
With that 6.0. They worked out the worst of the bugs, but... If you don't have a full service record, replace the EGR, EGR cooler and probably the oil cooler. Regular 5k maintenance with OEM products. Don't mod for more power, head bolts still suck. Let it warm up and avoid short trips.
Btw, you will only find the engine listed a a 2007, since they flipped the truck's the next year to the 6.4,'but kept it in vans till 09

Yup, good tips. I've got a full carfax report that lists quite a lot of service (as a commercial vehicle). EGR cooler and oil cooler have both been replaced recently.

This site has been useful from a knowledge standpoint for these engines (was also looking at 7.3 years) and I don't plan to go more power (at least for a while). Some aftermarket gauges are also maybe in the priority box (EGT's mainly).
Last edited by: jkhayc: Feb 28, 18 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I'm not looking to live the #vanlife but
Why the hell not?

Quote Reply