Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race Info for White Lakes & Duke Half
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experiences with the White Lakes Half Ironman and the Duke Half Ironman in
North Carolina? Any opnions/race reports to share? I would like to get some info about them in order to decide whether to make the long trip down the NC.

Thanks!!
Last edited by: slytriguy: Jan 14, 04 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Race Info for White Lakes & Duke Half [slytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been fortunate enough to have done both of these races. They are both run very well, but are very different. White Lake probably has the better swim. It is in a shallow natural lake with clear water (very clear for the southeast) and a white sandy bottom. The joke is that if you encounter any trouble on the swim, just stand up. The bike at White Lake is flat and on pretty good road surfaces except for one small out and back section. There is very little traffic. The run is nothing extraordinary, just dead flat. One thing Set-up likes to do on their races is to set them up out and back or in 2 loops. This way they get really good coverage on the aid stations and have quick response time if any of them need re-supply. In White Lake the run is out and back, and done twice, so there are plenty of aid stations, and you don't get left out there alone. Last year the weather was unseasonably warm, and many people were unprepared. My wife said the thermometer in the shade near the lake was reading in the mid-90's and there is very little shade on most of the run. I am still doing it again this year though. The best part of the White Lake race, is that it is in a tiny town, which is virtually taken over by triathletes for the weekend, and there is a lot of socialization in town and at the various locations. Once again this year, I will be racing on Saturday and my wife and mother (oldest female competitor last year) will be racing on Sunday in the sprint race.

I did not do Duke Half in 2003, but did in 2002. The swim is in a large reservoir typical of the area, so rough water is quite possible. The bike is a very nice single loop course on rolling hills. There is also very little traffic on these roads. The run is probably the best part of the course. It is also essentially a two loop out and back course. Still mostly rolling hills, except for one just after the transition (start of 2nd lap) which at least to me felt very steep. The course is also almost entirely on hard packed gravel and grass roads completely closed to traffic. In 2002 the park rangers even swept the gravel roads for the race.

The best thing of all to say about these races is how well run the Set-up Inc. races are. You can read the earlier thread about Set-up's near monopoly on the North and South Carolina (plus Virginia) races, and people's thoughts. I am one of the believers that this is because of the quality product they deliver. I have never once had a complaint about the way any of their races were run. The entire crew really seems to care about how well the races go, and to keep everyone safe and happy. I (like probably anyone who has done more than 1 of their races) feel like I know the Scotts and the Davis's, and they are a class act.

I did not do the inaugural South Carolina Half in 2003, but plan on it this year and also highly recommend it. The location seems ideal, the race will unfortunately not fill up as fast as Duke, and both Jeremy and Releigh (sp?) do a great job with their races.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi -

Haven't actually raced either of these yet, but have been there for both and know many, many friends who have done these races.

WL 1/2 -

Swim is in a clear, spring-fed lake w/ a sandy bottom. Doesn't get any nicer for a lake swim. I would say it's 50/50 for being wetsuit legal. Can be a little choppy if there's weather, but not too bad.

Bike is flat as a pancake. Can be significant prevailing winds that are noticable on the second half of the course.

Run is flat as well. Weather is a big question mark. 2002 was drizzly w/ moderate temps. 2003 was super-hot in the mid-90's, but that was a freak hot spell that was diminished by the next day.

Duke 1/2 -

Swim is in Jordan Lake, which is a bit bigger than White Lake and a dammed up river vs. naturally occurring. Weather created significant chop in 2003, but I don't think this happens every year. Since they moved the date up last year to mid-Sept, it wasn't wetsuit legal like it used to be. Unlikely to be too, I think, with NC weather.

Bike is moderately hilly but very nice & scenic. Winds typically minimal that time of year. I love the bike course and have done it as a training ride countless times.

Run is a bit tough with some significant hills. Just a small part paved, rest gravel & grass. Almost no flat areas, always going up or down. Heat can make it tough. Odds are against a cooler day in mid-Sept, although we could get lucky with a high in the 70's. :)

Both races are w/ Set-Up, Inc. and well run. Some local talent plus a smattering of ringers from out of town show up, and the occasional pro (the women's winner last year at Duke was Judy McSweeney).

Hope to see you there...

aliciap

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Quote Reply
Re: SC Half [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way - I did do SC 1/2, which was also nice. Fewer participants as a new race.

Bike & run courses a bit short at 52 mi & 12.7 mi, but I wasn't complaining this being my first 1/2 IM distance. 2/3 of the bike course are on chip & seal, so it's a bit rough. I used my training wheels to dampen the vibration, but many others used their standard race wheels. Swim was in a very calm lake. No chop at all, except what was created by the triathletes. Half of the run was partially shaded, the rest along a shadeless highway. Can be quite warm in SC in mid-Sept. Run finish is up a short but nasty-steep hill-- so much for 'striding speedily through the finish'! Traffic is minmal on the bike course, mostly just trees and fields.

If you're out for a top spot, it's worth noting that SC 1/2 still has the money prizes for top finishers.

aliciap

Yes, I too am on Facebook. And LinkedIn. And Twitter. Which begs the question - do I exist in the physical world? Do I?
Last edited by: aliciap: Jan 14, 04 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both races and what first post states is definate dead on.

Only thing I would add is weather at both can be unpredictable. white lake last year was super hot, year before that it rained like hell for most of the bike then the the sun came out, the year before that it was just plain hot... be ready for anything.

There is also a sprint at WL the next day. Alot of the elite guys do both. InsideOut also puts one a long ride to White Lake from the Raliegh/Cary store the day before the race. Alot of the same guys who place in the top ten also ride that... Cid C Jr for one...

Duke two years ago (only time I've done it) was butt-ass cold until last part of the run. and wind hawkin all the time you could put you arm up in the air during the swim and it was like having a sail.

Both are worth the trip.

If I lived closer I'd go. But alas Kansas to NC is quite a trip...

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Race Info for White Lakes & Duke Half [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a tonne for the information folks. I think I will make the trip down for both. Thank goodness my brother lives down that way so I can stay for free!! ;)
Thanks again!

M~
Quote Reply