Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't Orbea originally a munitions manufacturer?
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

I believe you are thinking of Quintana Roo ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not impressed with Bell motorcycle helmets. Replaced my mine with another brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

https://usa.streetsblog.org/...rting-the-gun-lobby/

Who knew?

You must be a big fan of "The Runaway Jury" and other works of fiction. ;-)

By the way, Streetsblog USA also benefits from funding from Bloomberg Philanthropies, AKA the Bloomberg Family Foundation. Which, coincidentally, also funds Everytown For Gun Safety, a notorious anti-gun lobbying group that was recently spanked by the Washington Post for lying about the number of mass shootings in schools so far in 2018.

Also, I hear that Hookers for Hillary (Clinton) endorsed that candidate for President in 2016. Which makes Hillary Clinton a hooker as well, correct?

Hey, I love this guilt-by-association game!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

Who knew?

By the way, Streetsblog USA also benefits from funding from Bloomberg Philanthropies, AKA the Bloomberg Family Foundation. Which, coincidentally, also funds Everytown For Gun Safety, a notorious anti-gun lobbying group that was recently spanked by the Washington Post for lying about the number of mass shootings in schools so far in 2018.

Also, I hear that Hookers for Hillary (Clinton) endorsed that candidate for President in 2016. Which makes Hillary Clinton a hooker as well, correct?

If she were, she'd be a broke hooker.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking about this this morning. I certainly don't know all the ins and outs of the US political system and lobbyists etc, however, from what I understand of the US, money is everything. And I understand that the NRA is a significant partner simply because of the money they give to candidates? And I can't imagine that all their money simply comes from membership fees, so cut off their supply of money and they would likely whither up? So why don't more people simply go after the companies that support the NRA?

I am sure I am making it sound more simplistic than it truly is but it truly doesn't look like anyone can take on the NRA directly, so cut off their money train instead.
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Well, if we're honest and technical, her policies would have fucked the country over and she would have made out like a bandit financially, so there's that. Not that I like the guy who won, because he's an a-hole buffoon & an embarrassment to the country, but if it walks like a duck...
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

not that i know of. actually, if you want to look at a very interesting example of a worker cooperative that is a highly successful commercial competitor, mondragon corporation is a terrific study.

columbus (tubing), and excel tubing (which i used back in the 80s for our bikes), and others (tange? reynolds?) made cold drawn steel tubes for gun barrels.

i don't mind that at all. i have no problem with gun makers. i have a big problem with gun makers who are part of the tactical rifle kill-big-things machine. and, yes, that article is correct, as well as i can tell.

"duty. honor. victory." of course that's the motto for a hunting or marksmanship rifle, right?

i wear a lazer helmet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, started off as a gun manufacturer in the 1830s. Something about being able to make high quality metal tubes worked well for both types of manufacturing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbea
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Not necessarily

If I learned anything from my time working at the Strip Club, it's that there's a market for everyone

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Not necessarily

If I learned anything from my time working at the Strip Club, it's that there's a market for everyone

That’s scary on so many levels.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

Who knew?

I swear, the OP is Yahey in disguise - just a giant troll.
Reference this post from a few years back.....

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

Who knew?

I see a lot of people on social media talking about the money the NRA spends "buying" congress and general lobbying. Jimmy Kimmel had a nice rant about it the other night. That got me wondering how it really looks. A little searching around yields a good amount of data.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...obby/article/2577699

Note, I am not an NRA member but I am a gun owner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are your 401(k) retirement funds being invested?

http://money.cnn.com/...ubView=institutional

I just asked for all my Fidelity (and Vanguard) funds to be moved.

F*ck the NRA.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:

F*ck the NRA.

To where? Seriously, if you own an index fund (which you should) your investing in guns, oil and tobacco. I guarantee that all of the politicians who are fighting against any of this stuff is invested in these companies and they don't know it.
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
philly1x wrote:

F*ck the NRA.

To where? Seriously, if you own an index fund (which you should) your investing in guns, oil and tobacco. I guarantee that all of the politicians who are fighting against any of this stuff is invested in these companies and they don't know it.

Yep. Fidelity-managed 401(k), holding a Vanguard fund.
But not for long.
(If you have any expertise in this area, please share.)
I also have a lot of $ in the tech sector, which by and large, tends to be socially responsible.

I bet you're right about the pro-gun-control politicians. And when my FA completes her research into what funds DON'T have $ going towards the NRA, I'll be more than happy to post here.

Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
philly1x wrote:

F*ck the NRA.

But not for long.
I also have a lot of $ in the tech sector, which by and large, tends to be socially responsible.

I bet you're right about the pro-gun-control politicians. And when my FA completes her research into what funds DON'T have $ going towards the NRA, I'll be more than happy to post here.

Not sure how you're squaring that with the recent revelations of FB, twitter, etc being used by Russians to influence US politics (and likely every other voting nation), CPU manufacturers pumping out billions of devices wrought with security flaws, multiple tech companies caught spying on consumers. Tech companies are just as bad once they get the taste of billions of dollars in their mouths.

But yes, I do agree with you, fuck the NRA. I believe they've outlived their usefulness.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'm going to join the NRA today.

Thanks for the push.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
philly1x wrote:

F*ck the NRA.

But not for long.

First and foremost, fire your financial salesman. Do your own homework save some money. Bogelheads.org is where you need to go. Your Vanguard fund is probably the best decision you can make when it comes to investing. I'm sorry but if your trying to be socially responsible with your investments, are your investments trying to be socially responsible? Probably not.

I completely disagree with the tech statement. Apple's (and others) public affairs gurus are not their investment gurus. You don't think Apple or any other tech company with millions/billions in cash doesn't have anything parked in an S&P 500 fund or owns corporate bonds? Or the company that they park their money in is being socially responsible? Its just not possible to drill down that much!

Lets not also add into the fact that any socially responsible fund you buy is going to charge you an extra 1-2% fee for that fund. That means you will be losing tons of money over the course of your 401k growth. It's really a sales tactic.

Do I like it? No, do I wish I can find investments that are socially responsible,yes but not at the expense of me ever being able to retire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
philly1x wrote:

F*ck the NRA.

But not for long.

Please post your returns (or lack there of) by going “socially responsible”. It will be really interesting to see what working against ones best interests looks like to their wallet/pocketbook.
Quote Reply
Re: When You Buy These Brands You Are Supporting The Gun Lobby [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
First and foremost, fire your financial salesman. Do your own homework save some money. Bogelheads.org is where you need to go. Your Vanguard fund is probably the best decision you can make when it comes to investing. I'm sorry but if your trying to be socially responsible with your investments, are your investments trying to be socially responsible? Probably not.

I've not no reason to fire our financial advisor. She/her employer offer a service for which my wife and I are willing to pay, so that we don't have to do any research. That said, both my FA and I did research (despite my above statement), and found nothing in my/our portfolio which would indicate any ownership stake in VSTO.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
I completely disagree with the tech statement. Apple's (and others) public affairs gurus are not their investment gurus. You don't think Apple or any other tech company with millions/billions in cash doesn't have anything parked in an S&P 500 fund or owns corporate bonds? Or the company that they park their money in is being socially responsible?
I do what I can, when I can, to the best of my ability. And this included some due diligence, to satisfy my concerns about allowing my money to get to the NRA—an organization which has morphed into something horrific, and terrible.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Its just not possible to drill down that much!
Isn't that what quarterly statements file w/ the SEC (10-k for publicly held companies?), etc. are for?

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Lets not also add into the fact that any socially responsible fund you buy is going to charge you an extra 1-2% fee for that fund. That means you will be losing tons of money over the course of your 401k growth. It's really a sales tactic.

Doing the right thing allows me to sleep just a little bit better. Like paying a wind-gen subsidy to my electric supplier, even though I know I cannot pick and choose what electrons pass through the last mile/home run. Following the BP DWH catastrophe and subsequent 85-day leak into the Gulf of Mexico: I stopped buying BP gasoline. Yes, these are small actions. And I know that many others are doing the same thing, and these small actions will make a difference.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Do I like it? No, do I wish I can find investments that are socially responsible,yes but not at the expense of me ever being able to retire.

I think my wife and I will be able to retire comfortably, without consciously/knowingly providing money to the NRA/NSSA, the gun lobby, or any other similarly related organization.

Anyway, you do you. That's fine, too.

ETA: Enterprise Holdings, FNB of Omaha, and Symantec also share the view: FUCK THE NRA.

Last edited by: philly1x: Feb 23, 18 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:

I've not no reason to fire our financial advisor. She/her employer offer a service for which my wife and I are willing to pay, so that we don't have to do any research. That said, both my FA and I did research (despite my above statement), and found nothing in my/our portfolio which would indicate any ownership stake in VSTO.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
I completely disagree with the tech statement. Apple's (and others) public affairs gurus are not their investment gurus. You don't think Apple or any other tech company with millions/billions in cash doesn't have anything parked in an S&P 500 fund or owns corporate bonds? Or the company that they park their money in is being socially responsible?

I do what I can, when I can, to the best of my ability. And this included some due diligence, to satisfy my concerns about allowing my money to get to the NRA—an organization which has morphed into something horrific, and terrible.

AndysStrongAle wrote:
Its just not possible to drill down that much!

Isn't that what quarterly statements file w/ the SEC (10-k for publicly held companies?), etc. are for?

AndysStrongAle wrote:

Doing the right thing allows me to sleep just a little bit better. Like paying a wind-gen subsidy to my electric supplier, even though I know I cannot pick and choose what electrons pass through the last mile/home run. Following the BP DWH catastrophe and subsequent 85-day leak into the Gulf of Mexico: I stopped buying BP gasoline. Yes, these are small actions. And I know that many others are doing the same thing, and these small actions will make a difference.

AndysStrongAle wrote:

I think my wife and I will be able to retire comfortably, without consciously/knowingly providing money to the NRA/NSSA, the gun lobby, or any other similarly related organization.

Anyway, you do you. That's fine, too.

I guess I won't be able to convince you, so I won't push you but I want to respond to your quarterly statement 10-k answer.

You need to look at where each company parks its cash (which is possible via 10-k), but then you need to dig beyond that. Company A, who you invested it parks its cash in company B, company B parks it cash in Company C...etc. Its impossible to spend that much time digging.

Good for you on thinking you will be able to retire comfortably on that. If I do the math, taking an extra 1%-2% out in fees will cut out several hundred thousand dollars in my retirement funds. I can't risk that.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Feb 23, 18 11:15
Quote Reply