Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You have the female halfpipe skier who gamed her way onto the Hungarian team, and then basically didn't even try to perform any actual tricks during the competition.
This one right here.
She's an embarrassment.

You're right, she should have been a triathlete! (running for cover)
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Same here. When I first tuned in to the figure skating, I asked my wife why PeeWee Herman was a commentator and why he was dressed like that. As I have watched the skating, I've grown to enjoy his comments. He is, of course, very knowledgeable and this helps explain a lot of the competition to someone like me who watches mainly because my wife does.

x2, as long as I don't watch him, he's fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie Anderson and Maame Biney get me turning the channel real quick. One sounds like a female caricature of Jeff Spicoli and the other sounds like a giggling moron that has an IQ hovering around 46.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
I was very annoyed by Jocelyn Larocque, one of the Cabadian women’s hockey players.

During the medal ceremony last night she immediately took off her silver medal and refused to put i5 back on. Complete lack of sportswomanship and class. This was a fair game between two very well matched rivals. It’s a great moment for the USA women’s and refusing to wear the medal is a shitty thing to do.

I get that emotions are raw after a tough loss. Hilary Knight did an interview prior to the Olympics where losing four years ago in the way they did (coughing up a two-goal lead with three minutes to play and then losing in OT) was so emotionally draining that she literally did nothing for about six months afterwards. She went into a complete funk from literally putting her entire focus for four years towards winning gold and then coming so agonizingly close and missing out, so I get where Larocque was coming from, but still think she should have kept the medal on as her teammates did. It's not like they got robbed as the 1972 US men's basketball team did and refused the medals outright (they are still in a vault in Switzerland); last night's game was a hard fought battle between two evenly matched teams that had to be decided by a shootout, and even that was a nail biter (the Forsberg move!).

AJ Mleczko addressed it on NBC right afterwards last night where she said even though it was painful to accept the silver in 2002 in Salt Lake City, she has grown to appreciate the medal over time.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me the most annoying are the actual games themselves. I confess to not really being a winter sport guy, so all the BS that comes with the games is just not worth it to me. Even the summer games I tape and fast forward to just the stuff I want to see or interests me. I taped some of these games, but it seemed forever on high speed to get to an actual event that I even remotely care about or seem interesting, so I gave up on that too.

I think I have about 25 minutes of actual watching this year, 0 minutes watching commercials and interviews. Well I guess I watched some, but at 100 times speed...
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
I was very annoyed by Jocelyn Larocque, one of the Cabadian women’s hockey players.

During the medal ceremony last night she immediately took off her silver medal and refused to put i5 back on. Complete lack of sportswomanship and class. This was a fair game between two very well matched rivals. It’s a great moment for the USA women’s and refusing to wear the medal is a shitty thing to do.

I get that emotions are raw after a tough loss. Hilary Knight did an interview prior to the Olympics where losing four years ago in the way they did (coughing up a two-goal lead with three minutes to play and then losing in OT) was so emotionally draining that she literally did nothing for about six months afterwards. She went into a complete funk from literally putting her entire focus for four years towards winning gold and then coming so agonizingly close and missing out, so I get where Larocque was coming from, but still think she should have kept the medal on as her teammates did. It's not like they got robbed as the 1972 US men's basketball team did and refused the medals outright (they are still in a vault in Switzerland); last night's game was a hard fought battle between two evenly matched teams that had to be decided by a shootout, and even that was a nail biter (the Forsberg move!).

AJ Mleczko addressed it on NBC right afterwards last night where she said even though it was painful to accept the silver in 2002 in Salt Lake City, she has grown to appreciate the medal over time.

The emotions are so high it didn’t bother me at all. Also, not only did you just lose you had to watch the USA celebrate for the next 30 minutes on the ice. The fact that someone on the team got mad and frustrated about it and did that doesn’t even register on my outrage meter.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go with the CBC Olympics website for not having a spoiler-free mode.

Today I went to watch the women's biathlon relay. On the page where the complete length video is located are the results, right above the video. You'd figure that if I was about to watch that video, I might not want to know the final results until after I've watched the video.

They have a whole other video section that shows just the 3 minute highlights of each event. Put the damn results on that page. Or better yet, put the results on the results page.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are watching the women's figure skating. We were watching on one of the networks and they went to an interview with the Women's hockey team and after that started showing a biathlon. My wife got up to go take a shower thinking it was going to come on later. I checked the cable guide and discovered that they switched the skating to one of the other NBC networks without telling us.

You would think that they might inform the people watching it that they are switching. We missed some skating the other night when they did the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
My wife and I are watching the women's figure skating. We were watching on one of the networks and they went to an interview with the Women's hockey team and after that started showing a biathlon. My wife got up to go take a shower thinking it was going to come on later. I checked the cable guide and discovered that they switched the skating to one of the other NBC networks without telling us.

You would think that they might inform the people watching it that they are switching. We missed some skating the other night when they did the same thing.
What you just experienced was the horrible world of NBCs Olympic coverage. They pull this crap all of the time. The same curling and hockey matches were on two channels at the same time while, one had bits and pieces of skiing, snowboarding and maybe biathlon. Since the US does not excel in biathlon, coverage from last week is still on repeat. The ice skating is supposedly one of the most watched events so they air it, but not all. NBC shows what it thinks we want to watch and is driving people to watching from other avenues which will hurt them in the long run. I was in Algeria a little over a week ago watching some event and the French networks had even worse coverage than here and that is not saying much. BBC seems to do a pretty good job at the games.

Quote | Reply
watching it via the app is much more straightforward. just choose which sport you wanna watch
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
sportsPEOPLEship

The Prime Minister has spoken, try to keep up man er sorry people!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
sportsPEOPLEship

The Prime Minister has spoken, try to keep up man er sorry people!

Calling Cerveloguy!!! Time to call RR a backwoods Alberta right wing hick!!!!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and elise christie. 2 oly's. 6 races and not finished one yet and she wants to go to beijing...........just poor poor tactics
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I have to change my vote to HODA!!

She is so annoying as the co-host.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

In Canada, the Olympics are covered by a consortium who are usually pretty good about letting you know which sport is on which channel (even on the competitor's channels).

Though last week, CBC managed to commercial over roughly half of the biathlon.

(Shooting 1 ends)
(cut to commercial)
(long commercial break)
(update about other sports)
(long commercial break)
(return to biathlon just as shooting 4 starts)
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Though last week, CBC managed to commercial over roughly half of the biathlon.

(Shooting 1 ends)
(cut to commercial)
(long commercial break)
(update about other sports)
(long commercial break)
(return to biathlon just as shooting 4 starts)

I tried to watch the womens rely biathlon, not sure that is the right name. It was exactly this. I couldn't keep track of what was going on because shoot, commercial, tag in next competitor, commercial, shoot again. They would cut away with whomever is 1st, 2nd, 3rd and come back with a completely different order.

frustrating.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the most annoying Olympian at this year's games [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Same here. When I first tuned in to the figure skating, I asked my wife why PeeWee Herman was a commentator and why he was dressed like that. As I have watched the skating, I've grown to enjoy his comments. He is, of course, very knowledgeable and this helps explain a lot of the competition to someone like me who watches mainly because my wife does.

x2, as long as I don't watch him, he's fine.

I'm going to go further and say that the figure skating trio last night for the women's figure skating free performance was the best commentatary I've "heard" in ages. In addition to the former skaters (Weir and Lipinski), Terry Gannon was very knowledgable.

What I loved was that during the majority of the performances, the three announcers were silent. They kept their taking to a minimum -- even resisting the urge to point out wobbles and faults. When one did comment during the program, the other two generally had the discipline to avoid commenting on the comment. Such a nice departure from the non-stop inane banter during all other sports. I watched more continuous sports coverage last night than I had in a long, long time.

I'm kind of partial to Gannon as he was a couple years ahead of me in college. He had been working his way through the minor leagues in sports commentary for many years. Glad to see him on the big stage.

The two Russian girls were amazing.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next