Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USA USA USA!!!!
Quote | Reply
Well deserved gold medal for the US women’s Olympic team.

Outplayed our Canucks all game long.

Congrats.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt the canuks outplayed us the first 2 periods though. USA girls seemed very flat first 2 periods.

The best game of any sport I've seen in a very very very long time. So glad I stayed up. Now I won't be able to sleep though!

That game saved these crummy Olympics!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One hell of a game. Slow start by USA in first period but such a great back and forth game afterwards from both sides. OT was amazing. Worth staying up for!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great game. Exceeded expectations..

US dominated OT until the penalty. Rooney made a miraculous save in the final minute to send it to a shootout.

Every player left everything on the ice.
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. My wife was like "you're going to stay up for a hockey game? You hardly ever watch hockey!"

I said, "This one is going to be special babe."

and it was. wow. I still can't believe how awesome that was.

Feel happy for our girls and sad for the Canadians at the same time. Geez!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Americans were superior in the OT. It was once again an epic battle between two fierce rivals. I don't like shootouts deciding championship games in hockey or soccer, but them's the rules.
Have you noticed that the stands are never full for hockey, skiing, snowboarding and all the other events?
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the empty stands. I wonder why that is. Maybe too expensive?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stat of the day.

Maddie Rooney, US goalie, was 7 months old the last time the US won the gold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If these Olympics are like recent Olympic Games, yes, the ticket prices may be beyond the reach of many people, and I think some of the venues are far away from the population centres. Vancouver/Whistler was a relatively easy sell compared to these Games. In equally important sporting news, the Alberta Winter Games just finished up on Monday here in Fort McMurray. I think there were more people at the outdoor and indoor events up here than in Pyongyang and area.
Back to hockey. What a game that was. These two teams never disappoint. I thought that penalty in OT was somewhat questionable, but I wasn't on the ice.
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
Great game. Exceeded expectations..

US dominated OT until the penalty. Rooney made a miraculous save in the final minute to send it to a shootout.

Every player left everything on the ice.

I don’t understand having a shootout in a medal game.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The game must be frustrating as hell for the players. It’s like they make up what is going to be a check as the game goes on.

The officiating is pretty bad when the announcers even say they’re incompetent.

That said it was an amazing game. The shootout skills were unreal. The US men could take some lessons on how not to shoot it into the goalies pads each time.
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritimmy wrote:
Feel happy for our girls and sad for the Canadians at the same time. Geez!

Don't feel bad for our girls.

First, they've won 4 golds in a row. They needed to be knocked down a peg. Second, It's not much of a rivalry if one team wins all the time. Third, they have sometimes been very poor winners.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well deserved gold medal for the US women’s Olympic team.

Outplayed our Canucks all game long.

Yes - indeed. Congratulations to the U.S. Women.

Two things that tipped the balance in a fairly even match up:

1. The Americans were clearly the faster team. The speed of some of their players was crazy.

2. The U.S. Goalie came up BIG in the shoot-out. Not that the Canadian was bad - Szabados was amazing all game long and in the shoot-out as well. But the game came down to one shot and one stop.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this. But I'll be paying for it today, because I was up to 2:30am this morning!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the empty stands. I wonder why that is. Maybe too expensive?

Yes - A Gold Medal match and many empty seats, and in the occupied seats many athletes from other sports that likely did not have to pay for their seats last night!

When I have been watching this week, most venues are about 1/2 full at best. the only events that I'v watched that had what seemed more than half full have been figure skating and the men's half-pipe finals in skiing.

Some venues for finals, there seemed to be LESS than 1/3 full!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And now those pesky curlers got one over on the Canucks. I can't believe I got sucked into watching and felt tense until the end.
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Nothing is better than a healthy dose of competitive suspense. This type of back-n-forth in success will only raise the level of interest for the next Olympics and World Championships.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shocked the American Men beat the Canadians at Curling in the semi finals....as crappy as this Olympics has been for the USA, we are coming on strong the last few days and got a chance at catching our neighbors to the north.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
Shocked the American Men beat the Canadians at Curling in the semi finals....as crappy as this Olympics has been for the USA, we are coming on strong the last few days and got a chance at catching our neighbors to the north.

Is this the first ever Olympic curling medal for the US?

I'm going to do something I've never done while Olympics watching - cheer for the US team to win! If you knock us out in the semis you darned well better take the whole thing!
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alibabwa wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:

I'm going to do something I've never done while Olympics watching - cheer for the US team to win! If you knock us out in the semis you darned well better take the whole thing!

The men won bronze in 2002 I believe. One of the players on this year's team was on that 2002 bronze medal team. This will be the first gold/silver medal for the US in curling.
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess two teams dominating the tournament is better than one. As you probably know, every WC and Olympic gold medal game (with one exception) has been between Canada and the USA. It's just getting old.

But I can't stand watching women's hockey. They're just so slow. There's a reason the national teams play against minor league boys.
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
Well, I guess two teams dominating the tournament is better than one. As you probably know, every WC and Olympic gold medal game (with one exception) has been between Canada and the USA. It's just getting old.

But I can't stand watching women's hockey. They're just so slow. There's a reason the national teams play against minor league boys.

Watch in person and it's actually quite fast. I went to a college game recently (BU-Vermont) which featured Victoria Bach, currently leading the nation in scoring and was the final cut from the Canadian Olympic team. Unbelievable how fast she is and a lethal shot to boot. I catch plenty of high school girls games also and the speed of the game gets better each year even at that level. Huge difference if you watch video of the 1998 Olympics and now.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:

The men won bronze in 2002 I believe. One of the players on this year's team was on that 2002 bronze medal team. This will be the first gold/silver medal for the US in curling.

Yes this year's skip John Schuster was lead on the 2002 bronze medal team. I've been watching curling since the 1998 Olympics; I've been known to get up at 3am to watch a match live. Which I'm going to have to do at 1:20am Fri night/Sat morning...

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: USA USA USA!!!! [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

Watch in person and it's actually quite fast. I went to a college game recently (BU-Vermont) which featured Victoria Bach, currently leading the nation in scoring and was the final cut from the Canadian Olympic team. Unbelievable how fast she is and a lethal shot to boot. I catch plenty of high school girls games also and the speed of the game gets better each year even at that level. Huge difference if you watch video of the 1998 Olympics and now.

"Can't stand" probably isn't that accurate. Any hockey is better than no hockey, but I do find it frustrating to watch at times due to the slower pace compared to NHL, major junior, or even provincial junior. The big ice at the Olympics didn't help either.

Can't say I've ever seen a women's game in person. But at my son's practice tonight, the Calgary Inferno (pro women's team. 9 members on the Canadian Olympic team) were practicing on the ice next door. While they certainly are much, much, much better than 20 years ago, I find the pace and power to be substantially less than pro or even junior men.

But I'm glad they're playing and I wish them all the success. However, I find the best local value for my hockey dollar is major junior.
Quote Reply