Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
it depends on where you go; if you ride south on mission (shootout route) there are SO MANY dogs as you go through the reservation. they are all concentrated along that road though and, for the most part, don't care too much about you as the roam in little packs.

not the same as in NC (i used to do my long rides up in Davidson/Salisbury area), where dogs could be anywhere along the route. i went to college in virginia and distinctly remember a ride where a dog came screaming out at us (little 20ish lb dog) but then ran straight into us. i crashed but was not badly injured even though it was 25ish mph. that has always made me skeptical of any dog i encounter on the road...b/c who knows what they're gonna do!?

Ah ok. I've only done the Shootout once (Seb Kienle was there) and saw no dogs. That may have been because I was hanging on for dear life once the pace picked up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For tri specific, Tucson is great. Iā€™m of the opinion that come winter, you should relax on the tri stuff over winter and train in other ways. Winter is a great time to try new sports and stay outside. Iā€™d much rather Nordic ski and the such vs ride indoors or whatever. Plus lift weights so I donā€™t end up such a skinny triathlete type.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? Tucson. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to bring this thread back as many of you are now sniveling away in your basements, staring at walls and screens, hoping for sunlight sometime in 2019.

Just kidding, sort of. But we do that too.

Here's a video I made this morning. My better half recently got a Premier Tactical and since Dan Kennison was here I felt it would be a good time to make a video and drive around the west side of Tucson. Also featured in the video are ST famed coach Brian Stover (desertdude) and ST creator bestie Paul Thomas.

Sorry for the lame music, but I feel restricted by copyright laws.

Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just realized I never replied to your reply:
someone wrong wrote:
The verdict is in, Santa Monica in a land slide.

Psh.
someone wrong wrote:
Tucson is definitely better than Houston

Well, that's not hard, but thanks.
someone wrong wrote:
but as far as "Best place to train in the winter," it's not at the top of that list.

Opinions are like assholes.
wannabe beach dude wrote:
Beach path > dry riverbed path

you've clearly not interacted enough with the "homeless highway" system of Tucson, it's very entertaining
fair weather p***y wrote:
Already too hot in Tucson in mid March

doesn't like long climbs wrote:
Way more climbing options in Santa Monica

triathlete bike handler wrote:
The cracks in the roads in Tucson are an issue, some are 2 inches wide!

enjoys looking at rich people wrote:
Santa Monica more scenic

someone with too much money wrote:
Only things Tucson have over Santa Monica are Mt Lemmon and ability to do low budget.

you didn't even do the two best climbs in southern Arizona! Mt. Lemmon is like maybe 3rd best.
backpedaler wrote:
I did enjoy my time in Tucson though, and it was great to meet you James.

haha, likewise!
Last edited by: jkhayc: Dec 21, 18 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The footage had a lot of video of my last ride in Tucson yesterday and came after a 2K swim. A lot of great training all week. Out on rolling hills for a while and then some bigger hills - followed by a fantastic road where we basically did a 10 minute time trial hammering at 32 mph. That was the ā€œoutā€ šŸ˜Š and after 1.5 hours of hard riding I had to tap out for the ā€œbackā€.

Glad to have James there ā€œSag-it Tucsonā€ so I could ride in the van and watch the beasts ride back šŸ’Ŗ. Brian Stover, Christine Hoffmann and Paul Thomas. Wow what a group.

Hanging out with some very high level athletes for a week was fantastic, Tucson is a perfect training town and - thanks to some good friends putting up with my lackluster fitness I left with my head held highšŸ™šŸ™.

Great trip and looking forward to getting home today.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! What are the 2 better climbs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

Mingus, 89A up to flag, Kitt Peak, and maybe Mount Graham
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Sean H wrote:

What he said, but specifically Kitt Peak and Graham, both of which are much more interesting climbs than Lemmon. Lemmon just gets all the hoopla even though it's mega lame. But I certainly don't take it for granted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only one of those you could even say are in Tucson is Kitt peak, and itā€™s still 40 miles one way to get there. Would be an epic day for sure if the commute there is any good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a nice ride to/from kitt peak. the main road to get there is recently paved with a giant shoulder. about 112mi round trip from middle of town.

also, what major climbs are IN the "city limits" of Santa Monica? do any of them last longer than 30 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? Tucson. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not going to lie I thought that one time you were going to take my helmet off with the drone.

Again, and as always for every ride I've done with you doing sag, Thank You!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Best place to train in the winter? Tucson. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's why i had all y'all sign those waivers....hehe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
Sean H wrote:

What he said, but specifically Kitt Peak and Graham, both of which are much more interesting climbs than Lemmon. Lemmon just gets all the hoopla even though it's mega lame. But I certainly don't take it for granted.

Itā€™s not a winter climb but you should give Mingus a crack at some point. The eastern side is better than the western side but itā€™s my favorite climb around AZ thus far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
it's a nice ride to/from kitt peak. the main road to get there is recently paved with a giant shoulder. about 112mi round trip from middle of town.

also, what major climbs are IN the "city limits" of Santa Monica? do any of them last longer than 30 minutes?

I never seem to make it over to Santa Monica (about 40 miles away), but literally right out my front door I have Hwy 39, and I'm only 4 miles away from GMR, so I'm covered... :)

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

Dude I have no vested interest in this, just my opinion after having visited both places.

And I didnā€™t say anything about the city limits. Other than kitt, the closest other climb yā€™all listed is 125 miles away.

In the Santa Monica mountains there and a whole bunch of 20+ min climbs. And tons of options for loops to hit a few different ones on each ride.

If you want to expand that to climbs 125-200 miles away Iā€™m sure thereā€™s some pretty epic ones, but again I donā€™t live there so donā€™t know.
Quote Reply

Prev Next