Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying with a bike on Virgin AU
Quote | Reply
I'm flying domestically in Australia for a triathlon and have spoken to a Virgin rep who couldn't exactly explain the policy of flying with a bike .. I don't want any surprises at the airport.

Has anyone here flown on Virgin Australia with a bike? What's your experience been? I'm putting mine into a cardboard bike box. From what I could gather - she said that as long as the bike box is within specified dimensions and the check in weight is under 23 kg - I should be sweet.

I've done this internationally and I'm usually charged an arm and leg for oversized luggage .. so I'm in a bit of disbelief ...

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a bike on Virgin AU [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flew domestic in 2015 SYD-> PER, PER-> SYD with them. Had a Scion bike bag.
Total bike fees for both directions: $0

YMMV

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you read the airline's terms for traveling with sports equipment?
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a bike on Virgin AU [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes of course. I did this before and after I spoke to the rep. The rep wasn't so sure about the actual policy.

Also I've read people's experiences on other forums and it's different to what the policy is ... so am hoping to get info from ppl who have flown with them recently.

Honestly this is the first time I've heard an airline will accept a bike as part of checked bags and not as an oversized bag (maybe that's an American thing!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Aus . I pay $35 AUD each way for my bike as a extra baggage with Virgin. I am happy with that. No arguments. Just a friendly Hello . My worst experience was with Emirates on my way to Roth $1200 AUD for excess. I was pretty upset..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does the sports equipment policy say?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am an Aus, travel fairly regularly with bike, if it is your only checked in baggage and falls within the regular baggage weight allowance you should be fine. If it is a second piece of checked luggage then you would have to have booked for an extra piece with the required weight. Unless the rules have changed in the last 12 months. Is all pretty sweet here for travelling for sport. We regularly fly to races with hand luggage and a bike bag stuffed with all that we can to keep within the weight criteria, no extra charges. Jestar have just changed their policy though, although their flights don't automatically include any baggage, so the bike is still is cheaper than anywhere else in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a bike on Virgin AU [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Australia, and flown Virgin with a bike a few times, most recently this month from Canberra to Brisbane return for Hell of the West. And doing so again as part of my flight to Taupo this week. As long as it's under 23kg (domestic flights) then no extra charges.

But I've been fried in the US with that extra handling fee a few times, it's basically (as I understand it) an airport baggage handler's surcharge, no so much an airline charge. That's why it's a surprise and not on any of the ticket info.

All the best.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with a bike on Virgin AU [AdrianM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for your responses. Just booked my flights so I'm glad to hear that everyone's experiences have been consistently the same, so no surprises at check in. That was not my experience the first time I flew my bike, on United. Counter lady told me it'll be an extra $200 each way! I was mad. But not as mad as if I had to pay $1200 for excess :(
Last edited by: snail: Feb 27, 18 11:19
Quote Reply