Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Zipp 30's ... I have them on my U.P. with 40mm Maxxis tires and they're great. I have a few small dents in the rim but would rather have a few small dings in an aluminum rim than a crack in a deep carbon wheel.

+1 as well for setting up with 1x. I have Force 1x with 44T up front and 10-42 in the rear. I have no problem getting up some pretty steep trails (20%+) and only spin out well beyond the point where I want to continue pedaling downhill. For racing, you can easily change out your front ring to go bigger.

Bars/stem - I put Zipp Service Course SL's for both, they're sleek and comfortable. I also prefer aluminum for any bike that has a better than decent chance of taking some rough tumbles.

Choose your tires wisely - there are a ton of options out there and this will dramatically change the ride quality. I wouldn't go narrower than 38s on an U.P. If you go with a slick, you could easily go with a 42mm tire as long as the trails are reasonably dry. Also, if you ride aggressively on trails, you may want to wrap the chain stay to protect it.

It is by far my favorite bike in the stable, enjoy!

@GrizzlyBaird | Strava | Website
My Supporters: QT2 Systems | The Olympic Club | First Endurance | Rudy Project | BlueSeventy | NormaTec
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [GrizzlyBaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrizzlyBaird wrote:
+1 as well for setting up with 1x. I have Force 1x with 44T up front and 10-42 in the rear. I have no problem getting up some pretty steep trails (20%+) and only spin out well beyond the point where I want to continue pedaling downhill. For racing, you can easily change out your front ring to go bigger.

You sound like rappstar with gearing guidance like this. You guys should probably mention that your FT is north of 5.0 W/kg and you average ~80 RPMs on race day. No chance I'm getting up anything close to 20% with that setup, personally
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you really want to pimp it out get a dropper. My off road skills are crap normally and even more so in a gravel build. A dropper at least helps get your weight in the right spot on steep descents.
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys.

I’m resurrecting this thread as i have just ordered a new Open U.P and am looking at crank options.

Ideally I would like to include a power meter and if possible DM cranks.

What have you all been putting on your open builds.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [Phil Hodson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put on a SRAM force double compact. The shop wasn't sure the spindle would fit, but they were able to make it work without any adapters. There is a huge thread on the UP website about crank compatibility. It seems like there are a lot of SRAM and Easton crank 1X setups and Shimano Ultegra/Durace doubles, but anything besides that, get someone who can confirm what it will take to make a specific crankset work (adapters may be needed).
Quote Reply

Prev Next