Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Conservatives... [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
aren't we supposed to just pick the bits we like? Conservatives don't seem that keen on the Sermon on the Mount bit.......

i can't read it without thinking of the scene from Life of Brian.....

That's what my grandma did, but I think she used Christian Science as her base.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
This thread was titled Hey Conservatives not Hey Republicans.

That is actually a very good point. The GOP and the Democrats do a very poor job of representing conservatives and liberals. And conservatives and liberals also have groups tied to them that are antithetical to the foundations of their respective principles.

What about anything that I have posted in the last 12 years makes you believe I think liberals are against the vision in that speech.

"It's a tie. They both pose an equal threat to the America I want to live in. "

That's true. They both pose a equally miniscule threat to the America I want to live in

What's your answer?.
Last edited by: ironmayb: Feb 20, 18 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1) hard left and hard right ideologues are primary threat
2) The Russians are a very distant 2nd
3) Philadelphia Eagles fans are third but closing fast. Any group that punches horses and eats horse dung needs to be watched closely
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
j p o wrote:

That is actually a very good point. The GOP and the Democrats do a very poor job of representing conservatives and liberals. And conservatives and liberals also have groups tied to them that are antithetical to the foundations of their respective principles.

What about anything that I have posted in the last 12 years makes you believe I think liberals are against the vision in that speech.

That's true. They both pose a equally miniscule threat to the America I want to live in

What's your answer?.

I think I don't like threads like this.

I think there are groups that get labeled liberals that I would prefer were not. Just as there are groups who fall under the conservative banner that aren't actually conservative. To be fair though, my side tends to be more kumbaya and unrealistically nutty while your side tends to get people who are just plain mean.

I want people like you and I to be able to have a conversation, even an agitated and loud one, without either of us being accused of not being American or not loving our country.

I think the Russians have been our enemy for a very long time and will continue to be for a very long time.

Oh hell, what was the question?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
j p o wrote:

What's your answer?.

I think I don't like threads like this.

I think there are groups that get labeled liberals that I would prefer were not. Just as there are groups who fall under the conservative banner that aren't actually conservative. To be fair though, my side tends to be more kumbaya and unrealistically nutty while your side tends to get people who are just plain mean.

I want people like you and I to be able to have a conversation, even an agitated and loud one, without either of us being accused of not being American or not loving our country.

I think the Russians have been our enemy for a very long time and will continue to be for a very long time.

Oh hell, what was the question?

thanks I feel entirely the same way. Which is why I answered this obvious bullshit thread in the manner that I did. So hopefully the OP realizes what a bore Xe is and comes up with a real subject to discuss and debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [Dirty Bottles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty Bottles wrote:

3) Philadelphia Eagles fans are third but closing fast. Any group that punches horses and eats horse dung needs to be watched closely

Punching horses is cool!

Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That depends on what one would like to claim to as "Biblical morality." If it's laying claim to a specific method of salvation, nope, the texts don't answer that. If it's laying claim to some very specific theological viewpoints some claim are hardline moral stances (like specific economic systems, the "right" to carry weapons, same sex marriage, masturbation, etc.), nope, the texts also don't answer those in a the neat, packaged way some would like to claim that they do. I wouldn't expect those thousands of texts, taken out of context of their original audience and languages with their countless inconsistencies and changes over millennia, to do that. Instead I'd argue that those texts invite us into conversation, which inherently invites us into community, and support the overarching arc of the story...which Jesus summarized in the "don't be an asshole" paraphrase as "Love god and love everyone else."

Perseus wrote:
Despite thousands of texts and historical accounts we're completely unable to determine biblical morality?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
i am not sure that I want to live in any society where swathes of the population are discriminated against with a different sets of rights simply due to sexual orientation.

it seems bizarre that in 2018 that much of the world has moved on to accepting groups who have been - and still are - discriminated against whilst a hard core continue to believe that they know what is best for everyone else

i would view it as a victory when the first straight up atheist runs and is elected instead of the fake religious pomposity professed by both sides - hillary and djt were about as christian as I am a summer olympian

I'm confused, who is being discriminated against today? I find much of what I read, and hear from the Left only proves what a very smart conservative literary professor once said to me. In his opinion, the most racist and bigoted individuals were on the left. In his opinion they only saw color and sexual identity, they never actually saw the person.

He was a gay professor teaching poetry, back in the early 90s.

As for your wish that someone from the atheistic religion get elected, find one who isn't an angry bigot unable to accept others beliefs and that person may win.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fascination you have with a country you likely can't find on a map isn't a good look. Like much of the rambling seen from the left on Twitter and other Idiot Media sites, you sound like a buffoon.

DieselPete wrote:
Who is a greater threat to “the America” you want to live in; the Russians or the liberals?

Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I think you meant against one interpretation of Christian values. With upward of 30,000 Christian denominations worldwide and a ton of various belief systems within them, there's no singular "Christian values" that can be neatly categorized as conservative or liberal.

Add to this the complexity of ancient writings, 5300+ partial manuscripts of the New Testament alone, no single existing complete manuscript of any of the Biblical chapters, many additions and subtractions to the original texts, ancient Aramaic no longer being an understood language in its original form so we can't really understand the author's actual intent (not to mention Paul completely making up some words that didn't exist in any language as far as we can tell), changed vernacular in the Hebrew and Greek from the day the text was written in compared to how it was interpreted over time, subtle/coded messages within the text for the audiences that would read them (i.e. the chapter of Mark's message to Roman Messianic Jews), more inconsistencies between the manuscripts than actual words that exist in the New Testament, political & institutional changes to the text through interpretation over the years, modern Westernized views of Christianity that differ greatly from those of the early Christians, and on & on and on.

While it's cute that a certain, vocal segment of Christians in America want to claim that liberals are attacking their "traditional Christian values," that segment of Christians really should be honest and say that liberals don't adhere to the manufactured form of Christianity that they like to call their traditional values, not actual Christian values...because the values of that vocal segment of conservative Christians today looks very different than the radical message carried by Jesus' words & actions and understood by the early church. That group of American conservatives doesn't have the lock on eternal truth that they'd like to claim they do. They've done nothing more than make God in their own image and attempted to call it "traditional values" and justify it with religion.

Hmm. Good point.

I would argue that our greatest threat is not either political wing nor the Russkies. Our greatest threat is the Federal Government's addiction to spending.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Feb 20, 18 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Conservatives... [Dirty Bottles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty Bottles wrote:

Philadelphia being underestimated again. Don't make us push for the top spot.

With regard to horse dung...we also eat scrapple, which makes horse dung look like a delicacy.

However, I will agree you have the top spot correct. Those blowhards are the ones with the most asinine views, but they also have the energy and proclivity to agitate around them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next